Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 20:39   #1

Exhaust Elbow Material - ‘86 Perkins 4-108

I understand black iron pipe fittings are the way to go when replacing the elbow. There was a loose connection causing a leak so I’ve pulled it all apart and ‘can see it’s time for a bit of a rebuild. Recommendations? Many thanks, Q
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2847.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	171035  
Bermuda Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 21:00   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: Exhaust Elbow Material - ‘86 Perkins 4-108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermuda Forte View Post
I understand black iron pipe fittings are the way to go when replacing the elbow. There was a loose connection causing a leak so I’ve pulled it all apart and ‘can see it’s time for a bit of a rebuild. Recommendations? Many thanks, Q
Funny you mentioned this, I just am in the process of prepping my recently rebuilt engine for re-installation into my boat, as part of this I'm inspecting all the supporting parts for it. I took apart the exhaust elbow I built five years ago to inspect it, it was built from black iron parts purchased from the local piping supplier. All the parts are in good shape and should last at least five more.
But, I'm prepping this boat for an extended cruise so I'll replace the salt water injection section for good luck, it's just a 1-1/2 inch X 9 inch nipple with a 3/4" pipe nipple (3/4" X 3") welded into it on a 45 deg angle to accept a 3/4" hose barb for the raw water discharge. It was previously done with a 1-1/2" tee, a 45deg elbow, a couple close nipples and a 3/4"straight nipple, this worked fine and showed very little corrosion loss in the 5 years it was used.
A total of about $35.00 in parts, to do the whole assembly, about $12.00 in parts to replace the mixing section, and about 1-1/2 hours work.
The beauty of using black iron pipe parts for your exhaust mixing elbow is that you can replace a part that may fail prematurely a piece at a time, without having to wait for an expensive proprietary part that may not ship quickly to the part of the world you happen to be in at that time.
Also, in the world of sacrificial metals, you want the cheapest and easiest parts to be the sacrificial ones.
I'll send a picture of the original assembly tomorrow.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:44   #3

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: Exhaust Elbow Material - ‘86 Perkins 4-108

Good luck trying to find black iron fittings if you live in Bermuda. Galvanized steel pipe will last at least 5-10 years.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elbow, exhaust, perkins