Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2021, 04:53   #1

Boat: Jeanneau selection 37
Exhaust anti siphon

I have a Yanmar 2gm20 raw water cooled engine which has an anti siphon hose connected between where the water comes out of the engine and where it enters the exhaust elbow. When I start the engine this hose puffs a fair bit of exhaust gas and sometimes a bit of water squirts out. This is annoying because the smell of the exhaust gas isn't too pleasant inside the boat.

This has only occurred since installing a new water-lock muffler and the engine is taking a bit more to get it started than prior. I had to mount the muffler in a slightly different position to the previous one so the exhaust hose to the muffler is slightly longer.

I hope this is not a sign the engine is being harmed with this new set up and any suggestions how to stop the puff of exhaust out of the anti siphon hose would be great.
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 05:58   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Exhaust anti siphon

Either route the anti siphon hose overboard, or replace the one way valve in the vented loop that is intended to prevent this from occurring.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 08:14   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Yeah. That little valve on the loop is meant to let air in so it won't siphon, not gases out. Replacing it should solve the problem. It's possible that you have more back pressure in your exhaust than you used to have, which would both load that little valve and make starting a bit more difficult.
Old 22-07-2021, 10:09   #4

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

We had a chrome anti siphon loop with a plastic vent screwed in the top it was junk and spewed saltwater every where when it failed. Bought a grocco bronze anti siphon and plumbed the over flow to the bilge. Been 5 years and works flawlessly.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 23:39   #5

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

Tomodore:

I don't think plumbing the anti-siphon overflow to the bilge is a great idea. When, not if, the lovely Groco anti-siphon valve sticks open, you'll have water and exhaust gases into the boat. Best practice is to plumb the overflow out the side or transom of the boat or into a self draining cockpit. Yes, I heard you say its worked flawlessly for 5 years, but sh_t happens.
Just saying....
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 00:19   #6

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
Tomodore:

I don't think plumbing the anti-siphon overflow to the bilge is a great idea. When, not if, the lovely Groco anti-siphon valve sticks open, you'll have water and exhaust gases into the boat. Best practice is to plumb the overflow out the side or transom of the boat or into a self draining cockpit. Yes, I heard you say its worked flawlessly for 5 years, but sh_t happens.
Just saying....
There is zero chance that exhaust gases will leak into the boat from a correctly installed anti-siphon, and I agree that the best way is a small tube overboard or into the cockpit drain.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:43   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Anti-siphon failure has wrecked many engines, almost mine. One of our cruiser friends replaced his and with a small vertical standpipe to a high point central and external. The elevation is high enough to prevent water from exiting. It can never fail to vent when the engine is off. Remove the diaphragm in the Jabsco and run the drain as a vertical vent.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust