Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2007, 08:41   #1

Exhaust

Has anyone had to replace the cast iron parts of a wet exhaust? I've got a Universal M18 where the cast iron elbows and riser coming out of the expansion tank are horribly rusted and leaking. The stuff was wrapped in what looks like fiberglass insulation which must have trapped a ton of moisture.

I'd like to replace the stuff but can't find a parts listing anywhere. Can anyone lead me to a source? Also, is the fiberglass insulation wrap necessary?

Thanks.
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 09:14   #2

I've replaced mine on a Volvo MD17. I think a clean, ie non corroded exhaust elbo is essential for proper cooling of the engine. Look up the part number and replace it!

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 10:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
From the online parts catalog for the Universal M18: Good Old Boat: The sailing magazine for the rest of us
(12) Heat Exchanger 2" X 12", Universal Part # 298633, Torresen Marine price $326.34
Goto: Marine Diesel Direct - Heat Exchanger Group
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M18HeatExchanger.gif
Views:	172
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1832  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 10:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
From the online parts catalog for the Universal M18:
(12) Heat Exchanger 2" X 12", Universal Part # 298633, Torresen Marine price $326.34
Goto: Marine Diesel Direct - Heat Exchanger Group
Those are all the parts that are fine... its the parts that attach to the exhaust flagne that need replacing.
Old 17-09-2007, 11:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
I've replaced mine on a Volvo MD17. I think a clean, ie non corroded exhaust elbo is essential for proper cooling of the engine. Look up the part number and replace it!

jef
sv shiva
No one sells a replacement that I can find.

I attached a drawing with the U-shaped part that I need to replace...

Attached Images
File Type: bmp exhaust4.bmp (366.3 KB, 162 views)
Old 17-09-2007, 17:08   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Are you referring the point at which water is injected into the exhaust?

There are several types out there...you probably need one that is 1.5" i.d. NPT

If you are just looking for a "U" bend, you can make one up from steel pipe.

In the Universal atomic-4 Installation manual, they reccomend black iron pipe.

It is cheap, it works and is not prohibitively expensive to replace.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 17:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Are you referring the point at which water is injected into the exhaust?

There are several types out there...you probably need one that is 1.5" i.d. NPT

If you are just looking for a "U" bend, you can make one up from steel pipe.

In the Universal atomic-4 Installation manual, they reccomend black iron pipe.

It is cheap, it works and is not prohibitively expensive to replace.
The M18 doesn't use a mixing elbow (the raw water is injected in to the manifold). So, yeah, I'm looking for the 1.25" pipe fittings and pipe needed to replace the solid "U" portion of the exhaust. Black iron should work well with cast iron (its the same metal so no galvanic cell maybe???). Have you seen a place to buy that stuff? Is your exhaust wrapped with insulation?
Old 17-09-2007, 17:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh1965 View Post
Have you seen a place to buy that stuff? Is your exhaust wrapped with insulation?
Ace Hardware
If you value the skin attached to you arms I'd recommend wrapping the dry section of the exhaust. You can use header wrap available at any hotrod shop or mail order from Summit or Jegs.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 18:56   #9

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh1965 View Post
The M18 doesn't use a mixing elbow (the raw water is injected in to the manifold). So, yeah, I'm looking for the 1.25" pipe fittings and pipe needed to replace the solid "U" portion of the exhaust. Black iron should work well with cast iron (its the same metal so no galvanic cell maybe???). Have you seen a place to buy that stuff? Is your exhaust wrapped with insulation?
I'm confused, you say the water is injected at the manifold, then you have a big loop. If the expansion tank in your drawing is actually a waterlift muffler I'd be less confused.

Anyway, my take based on installs I've seen, exhaust systems come separately from the engine, so there wouldn't be an engine part number.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 19:12   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
1.25 pipe (black iron)

materials
2 elbows
1 close nipple
2 3-4" nipples (cut threaded end off or get an 8" nipple and cut in half

the exhaust wrap is specially designed for the purpose...do not use fibreglass tape

After wrapping, tie it up with stainless wire. About every 2 inches. Cut lengths to go around. Use a small pair of vise grips to twist it snug. Cut off excess with about 1/2" to spare. Twist the remaining part down into the material with a pair of needle-nose pliers to avoid snaggin stuff on it...like the back of your hand
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 03:12   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Cast Iron (Black Iron) pipe is commonly utilized for Natural Gas supply lines, and should be available at any Plumbing Supply house. Use Pipe Dope (thread sealant), not Teflon Tape.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 06:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
Ace Hardware
If you value the skin attached to you arms I'd recommend wrapping the dry section of the exhaust. You can use header wrap available at any hotrod shop or mail order from Summit or Jegs.
Thanks for the help. I've seen exhaust wraps at Auto Performance shops for years and they are designed to be removed at will. That is a really good idea!
Old 18-09-2007, 06:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I'm confused, you say the water is injected at the manifold, then you have a big loop. If the expansion tank in your drawing is actually a waterlift muffler I'd be less confused.

Anyway, my take based on installs I've seen, exhaust systems come separately from the engine, so there wouldn't be an engine part number.

John
If you look at Gord's picture above, part number 5 is the nipple where the raw water is injected back in to the exhaust at the expansion tank/exhaust manifold. The large loop is an attempt to keep water from backing up in to the engine if wave action is pounding the transom. The second box is the muffler.
Old 18-09-2007, 06:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Cast Iron (Black Iron) pipe is commonly utilized for Natural Gas supply lines, and should be available at any Plumbing Supply house. Use Pipe Dope (thread sealant), not Teflon Tape.
Thanks Gord.
Old 18-09-2007, 06:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
1.25 pipe (black iron)

materials
2 elbows
1 close nipple
2 3-4" nipples (cut threaded end off or get an 8" nipple and cut in half

the exhaust wrap is specially designed for the purpose...do not use fibreglass tape

After wrapping, tie it up with stainless wire. About every 2 inches. Cut lengths to go around. Use a small pair of vise grips to twist it snug. Cut off excess with about 1/2" to spare. Twist the remaining part down into the material with a pair of needle-nose pliers to avoid snaggin stuff on it...like the back of your hand
The insulation that is on there is falling apart and won't be reusable. I'll need to do something different. Perhaps the auto wraps will work.

Tags
exhaust