Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2015, 11:15   #31

Re: Evinrude 6HP 2- cycle question

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
External tank only...
Not very helpful of me sorry! But you could trade it for a Mercury. There must be a reason most racing outboards use Mercury. There is one good reason and that is the Mercury racing motor gearboxes enable twin outboard boats to have user changeable opposite direction props to counter torque reaction.

Another reason might be reliability. My 5 hp Mercury has never missed a beat. I think the 6 is similar but maybe only an external tank. My 5 has both which is handy.

Some carbs have a drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl. That might be all you need to do if you can see and reach it. Perhaps use a right angle screwdriver. Put a dab of sealant on the end of the screwdriver to retain the screw. Can you see a filter on the fuel line in the motor. That might be blocked. Also have you tipped the contents of your external tank upside down into a container. Don't smoke.

There might be water or sand in the fuel. Some fuel supply places used to put water in their tanks when they were running low and have a floating take off. Where I once had fuel trouble in Western Samoa, they have lots of sand and occasional tropical cyclones. Might be similar where you are. Just some ideas.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 13:08   #32

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Update:

I had the engine in for service due to a sticky shifter; it was a very expensive fix; before I was finished, I had over a grand in it.

Because...

They didn't fix the issue cited above.

At long last it turned out to be that in a prior rebuild, someone had used a high speed jet which was one size too big.

Replace that and it ran better than ever, since the time we have owned it, almost 10 years.

Now comes the reverse problem, that it doesn't develop full power but running it with the choke just before the detent makes it run faster. Or, with the choke in, it speeds up slightly when I slowly back down on the throttle; about halfway down, there's an increase in speed.

Diagnosis by the guy who got it into such wonderful shape is that there's some crud in the high speed jet.

And that you can access that jet from the outside, on the port side, removing a slotted hex screw, and stick a very small wire in there to clear it.

But for the life of me, looking at all the blowups of parts I can find on the presumed carburetor (e.g. CARBURETOR - 2000 Johnson Outboards 6 J6RSSM | Crowley Marine) shows no such screw, nor a high speed jet.

FWIW, I misspoke in the original. It's a 2000 =Johnson= 2-cycle 6 HP engine - but that shouldn't make a difference in the end.

Has anyone done this? Right now, it's buttoned up again, so I'd have to do some gymnastics to go look, vs find it on a parts diagram.

At this moment, I'm running a heavy sea foam mix in hopes of dissolving anything other than a bit of debris...

Thanks for any wisdom.

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 13:22   #33

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

For poking carburetor jets I use monofilament line rather than wire. Less likely to damage the jet. Of course the best approach would be to remove the jet and soak in alcohol. But after spending a grand on that motor you might need the alcohol yourself.

In the carb blowup, #23 is the high speed jet. (they call it an orifice).
Old 03-11-2016, 13:44   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
For poking carburetor jets I use monofilament line rather than wire. Less likely to damage the jet. Of course the best approach would be to remove the jet and soak in alcohol. But after spending a grand on that motor you might need the alcohol yourself.

In the carb blowup, #23 is the high speed jet. (they call it an orifice).
Good idea - I have various sizes of mono aboard.

As to the number, it doesn't show a screw cap; it also appears to go to the bowl, rather than the carb body. Is that what I'm supposed to be looking for? My mechanic says the screw over the jet is on the port side...

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2016, 14:18   #35

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Is that what I'm supposed to be looking for? My mechanic says the screw over the jet is on the port side...

Thanks!
Which side is the port side?
Old 03-11-2016, 14:19   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Would the carb be responsible for one cylinder not working well nearly all the time, and the other, mostly well?

OTOH, I just took apart my Honda 2000 carb and I was astounded at what came out of the bowl. I'm amazed that it even ran.

Thanks for thoughts.

L8R

Skip
Skip my '89 evinrude did the exact same thing no spark on #2 except at near full throttle. The ignition module was failing/ had failed. Replaced it and have had no issues since then
Old 03-11-2016, 14:45   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Which side is the port side?
Well, I impute that he means as mounted, or the the right as you look astern.

I'm sure I don't have an electrical issue, though I had thought that for our initial issue. It was an oversized jet...

So, until I get motivated to pull it apart again (I have a Davis Lift installed which has to be removed to lift the cover), I'll continue to run heavily sea-foamed fuel through it.

Meanwhile, scrutinizing the parts diagram more closely, I see that #26 is an orifice plug (also labeled a screw plug) and 27 the washer to it. As it's got a connector line leading to nearby to #23, perhaps it's meant to be the one I'm looking for, and #23 is not lined-out to the body as expected...

Tags
johnson