Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2008, 19:05   #16
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
I have put in a new heat exchanger and thermostat. That did not solve the problem. My diesel guy has told me that it is common for the Perkins 4-107/108 to overheat and he recommends a larger heat exchanger. I like the post about replacing the exchanger with a Perkins 4-236 heat exchanger.
Kinne
Agree with all of the above and have done the same except the larger heat-exchanger..Can't fit it in the tight space back there...
Old 18-05-2008, 19:56   #17

Boat: Gulfstar, Sloop, 41, Diosa
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Agree with all of the above and have done the same except the larger heat-exchanger..Can't fit it in the tight space back there...
The nice thing with the Gulfstar is it has a huge engine room, I found a heat exchanger made by seakamp that has two tubes, but I am not sure if I can mount it it the present location, which is under the oil filter. Does anyone have a source for the Perkins 4-236 heat exchanger?
Kinne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heat exchanger.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	533.4 KB
ID:	3608   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine room .jpg
Views:	467
Size:	586.0 KB
ID:	3609  

kinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 05:32   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 37 - Perseverence
Source for Heat Exchangers for Perkins

I haven't bought from these folks, but they seem to have Perkins heat exchangers...let us know how it works if you do business with them.

Heat Exchanger - Perkins 4 & 6 Cylinder Models
jlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 05:57   #19
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
The nice thing with the Gulfstar is it has a huge engine room,
You are not kidding, there is enough room there for the Mother in-law's bunk...
Old 19-05-2008, 07:50   #20

I also have a 4-107 that use to have an overheating problem. Turns out I had a cronic air lock at the top of the head. When ever I replace the coolant, I also remove the sensor to vent the head and add a little coolant there as well. I have not had a problem since.
Old 19-05-2008, 12:10   #21

Engine room in Gulfstar

Lots of room in the Gulfstar engine room, except in the GS 37, you have to be 3' high to use it!...most of my work is stretched out in the cockpit locker with most of my body on top of various sharp parts working on the engine....that is if you are small enough to get through the cockpit seat (lid) to get into the locker in the first place. I am convinced this is why Gulfstars are sold as the owners get older...they can't work on their boats because they can't fit into the locker....
Old 19-05-2008, 21:24   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
You are correct sir.....

also, if you are using the engine to heat water in a water heater, one must be very careful that that line does not air lock also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
I also have a 4-107 that use to have an overheating problem. Turns out I had a cronic air lock at the top of the head. When ever I replace the coolant, I also remove the sensor to vent the head and add a little coolant there as well. I have not had a problem since.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 01:28   #23

Boat: seawind II Patience
perkins

I did not think there was that much difference between the 37&41.If have only engine cramped,add water maker.inverter.fridge ets,NO ROOM.
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 14:59   #24

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
I fought overheating problems with my 4-107 Perkins for 3 years. I would clean the heat exchanger with muriatic acid and we would be good to go for another 6 months or so. Then after doing this 4 times, it didn't fix it. I replace the raw pump cam and turned the cover over, and it didn't fix it. A diesel mechanic told me to replace the heat exchanger. I cleaned it again. It lookes like a shiney penny, and the tubes all looked good. same problem. Boiled over at more than 1/2 throtle operation. Finally I borke down and replaced the heat exchanger and that cured it. I sure wiish I had done it in the begining. It would have saved me from crossing the Gulf streem with the dink tied along side and running for 45 minutes, running the diesel for 15 minutes, etc, etc, etc, untill we got back to FL. Wheres the wind when you need it?

I wouldn't replace the raw water pump, unless the bearings are shot, and even then, I'd rebuild it. It's a basic pump. The impeller, and cam are easy to replace, and turning the cover over, or replacing it are no big deal. Thats about all there is to the pump, besides a shaft, bearings and seal.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:31   #25

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
Go to Autozone and buy Redline water wetter. It will lower your operating temps. I use it on turbo and supercharged cars.
Old 28-09-2008, 05:39   #26

Ok - Overheating Perkins has officially driven me crazy

I've had it...I don't care how much trouble it is and or how much it costs to fix, I'm going to have a Perkins 4-108 that runs at the proper temperature. I've been working on this since I got the boat. Since I just day sail mostly, it is not a big problem, but it has run me nuts. The latest twist is now that the temp gage seems to run hotter and hotter - up to 230, but the alarm doesn't go off and the engine (and I have experience with diesels) doesn't seem hot or act like anything is wrong - you can still lay your hand almost anywhere on the engine when it is operating...New plan: I am going down this list until I fix it. I'll stop when the problem goes away.

1. Replace temp sensor and gage

2. take off every hose to every piece of cooling gear on the engine and make sure that it is clear..I don't think this engine has ever had a disintegrating impeller, but I'm going to find out. Part of this will be backflushing all the cooling system with pressure.

3. Pull the hose to the cooling elbow and check it..although water flow out the exhaust seems ok, and there is no steam being produced in the exhaust flow.

4. I've cleaned the Heat Exchanger, and it looks ok inside, but I'll replace the heat exchanger.

5. New thermostat..don't think this is the problem, but....

5. New Water pump - anyone know the flow rate for a G65 Sherwood as used on the Perkins? i.e., how many seconds to fill a 5 gallon bucket or some such rule of thumb?

6. New Transmission Oil Cooler - Long shot, but if I've done all of the above.....

7. New Yanmar............

Any suggestions, additions, or comments on the list above will be appreciated....
Old 28-09-2008, 05:59   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...sting-645.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 07:54   #28

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Your sensor may simply be defective. Obtain one of these: Celestaire, Inc.: Infra-red Thermometer and use it to check the temperature of your system at the sensor. It's a handy tool to have around.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 13:00   #29

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha jlogan,
It probably is your sensor and gauge if the engine is not hot to touch. Most overheating complaints are caused by many of the things already covered and the biggest culprit is too big of prop or too high of pitch.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 16:12   #30
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I agree with getting a small handheld infrared heat gun.

You can use them for lots of things....just don't look into the laser pointer.

I use a Raytek
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overheating