Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 03:32   #61

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Ethanol in fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Beyond that, a little Biobor EB does the trick.
I tried most of the stablizers. Useless for ethanol gas to be used in small engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I just wish the stuff would stop separating faster than I can use in my dinghy outboard.
Exactly. I started dumping dinghy gas into a car after about 3 weeks. Pain in the a$$.

-Chris
Old 11-10-2018, 07:20   #62

Boat: Cal 33

[QUOTE=Iaangus;2739113]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwoody View Post
OK. Corn ethanol in the US is dirtier than gas alone. Every modern study confirms this.

Im sorry, i’m not trying to be offensive but you don’t know what you are talking about.
Let's get educated ...
Lifecycle; ethanol in gas is dirtier ... "Although combustion emissions from ethanol are lower than those of gasoline, production emissions from ethanol are higher. So much so that on a life-cycle basis, ethanol is the larger source of five different air pollutants: primary fine particulate matter (PM2.5), nitrogen oxides (NOx), amonia (NH3), volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and sulfur oxides (SOx)."
Gasoline or Ethanol: Which Is More Polluting?
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ly-on-ethanol/
And other sources.
captainwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:56   #63
CLOD

Boat: none

This is a boat forum! If people want to rant about more than how it effects our boat I bet there is a forum for that.

I'm still waiting for someone to post about a stabilizer that really does prevent separation. I notice when reading the additive bottles that it dances around saying that it will do this, while outwardly giving the impression that it will.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:10   #64

Boat: Cal 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
The total life cycle of a wind generator consumes more energy than is harvested.
Without subsidies and mandates they would not exist.

On the mandates, California plans to become zero carbon by buying power from over state lines. This means more conventional generation in Nevada. This is disegenuously stupid.

Ethanol production likewise is a net carbon increaser. Start with the fertilizer-origin is petroleum. Transport fertilizer from S America on oil burner ships, distribute all over the US. Grow, harvest, transport. Process at the still, more energy in to run the still, etc. It would be more efficient to burn the corn in a coal plant and skip the ethanol step. Your car gets better mileage on straight fuel. Now add in the cost to corn dependent people around the world for increased cost of food. It’s stupid to burn your food in a car.
We agree ethanol in gas pollutes more with production and distribution. The food impact is another good point.

Not true about wind using more energy. A wind generator tends to break even in 1-3 years. "Wind turbine manufacturer Vestas claims that initial energy "pay back" is within about 7–9 months of operation for a 1.65-2.0MW wind power plant under low wind conditions,[22][23] whereas Siemens Wind Power calculates 5–10 months depending on circumstances.[24]". from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enviro...et_energy_gain
Wind Energy Factsheet | Center for Sustainable Systems

Not true CA will be pulling burner energy from other states. CA just passed SB100 which mandates 100% of CAs electricity will to be emission free by 2045 (60% by 2030).
Do you have a link for the claim or are you just trolling?

For fun, here is a country that often produces more energy than it needs from wind power ...
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...tricity-demand
captainwoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel