Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2007, 11:31   #1

Engines: Diesel vs Gasoline ?

...on a Nimble Kodiak Motorsailer, Seasonal liveaboard.

Hello Everyone,
I am considering a Nimble Kodiak motorsailer as a seasonal liveaboard.
Most all of my time underway will be away from nearby fresh water marinas and/or parts/repair sources. I also plan on an Inside Passage cruise to AK. My question or inquiry relates to getting some input and opinions as to whether I should be looking for a boat with an inboard diesel or one with an outboard fitted into the well afore the tiller. I am very mechanically inclined and not afraid to work on either type engine, but aside from the obvious advantage of easily swapping out an outboard, I really don't know all the ins & outs of diesel vs gas. Concerns are cruising range, fuel costs, capacities, parts (Volvo-Yanmar-Westerbake) and noise. Speed is not a concern. All comments welcome.
Thanks.
Slick9513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 21:13   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Do you already have a well for the engine?

If so, I would opt for the outboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick9513 View Post
...on a Nimble Kodiak Motorsailer, Seasonal liveaboard.

Hello Everyone,
I am considering a Nimble Kodiak motorsailer as a seasonal liveaboard.
Most all of my time underway will be away from nearby fresh water marinas and/or parts/repair sources. I also plan on an Inside Passage cruise to AK. My question or inquiry relates to getting some input and opinions as to whether I should be looking for a boat with an inboard diesel or one with an outboard fitted into the well afore the tiller. I am very mechanically inclined and not afraid to work on either type engine, but aside from the obvious advantage of easily swapping out an outboard, I really don't know all the ins & outs of diesel vs gas. Concerns are cruising range, fuel costs, capacities, parts (Volvo-Yanmar-Westerbake) and noise. Speed is not a concern. All comments welcome.
Thanks.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 03:02   #3

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Check out the interesting comments on this subject on the thread "Three months to go" by Cjbeals - I'm not familiar with your cruising area or intentions but good general advice on that thread . . .
Old 18-09-2007, 10:37   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
As mickmul suggests check out that thread and then choose a small diesel.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 11:04   #5

Boat: Monk Jr 38 Martha Rose
Out boards get very poor mileage compared to diesels. Your planned route has stretches through British Columbia where carrying enough gasoline to make it to the next fuel dock is very iffy. Check out one of the cruising guides to see how much of a problem it will be. You will end up with a lot of space taken up with gasoline if you go with gas. Dino
dinocarmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 13:14   #6

Expected less controversy

Thanks for all the input and referrals. I followed up on the thread "Three Months To Go"... cjbeals (poster). It brought up a lot of interesting considerations.
The Nimble Kodiak was built with the choice of either an inboard diesel OR a well before the tiller for an outboard. I'm starting to get the feeling that this was a very clever way for them to go. The outboard appeals more to the freshwater and/or weekend sailor where ports are NOT few and far between and where gasoline is plentiful. The inboard diesel lends itself better to long range cruising and gunk holing where economy and dependability is a major consideration. Since my original post a few days ago, I had the opportunity to look over a Kodiak with the outboard setup and a 15hp, 4-stroke Honda. Again, sure like the idea of being able to "jerk" that engine out if there's a problem, but it really reduces the area available in the cockpit and, boy, was it noisy when you left the hatch open.... sounded like an outboard.
I have my heart set on the Kodiak. It's an ugly little "hen" but apparently people hang on to them for they are few and far between when it comes to finding one. I'm leaning toward letting this one pass and hoping to come across a diesel rig.
If anyone knows of one, please pass along the contact info..... USA/country-wide.
Old 18-09-2007, 18:57   #7
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Here's One , and it's not too far from you
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 23:34   #8

Boat: now floating easy37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinocarmine View Post
Out boards get very poor mileage compared to diesels. Your planned route has stretches through British Columbia where carrying enough gasoline to make it to the next fuel dock is very iffy. Check out one of the cruising guides to see how much of a problem it will be. You will end up with a lot of space taken up with gasoline if you go with gas. Dino
i would have to disagree with this statement as my boat will motor at around 6knots for 2 litres per hour and this is running on only one motor which means an hour of motoring will cost me around 2'40$
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 02:31   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick9513 View Post
... Again, sure like the idea of being able to "jerk" that engine out if there's a problem, but it really reduces the area available in the cockpit and, boy, was it noisy when you left the hatch open.... sounded like an outboard.
... I'm leaning toward letting this one pass and hoping to come across a diesel rig ...
At about 100 pounds, I don’t expect you’ll often “jerk” the 15HP ouboard up & out of the well.
I don’t believe you can “tilt” the outdrive, hence it remains constantly in the water (not an O/B leg’s favourite condition).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 05:16   #10

to GordMay.... Right On!

You know, I never even considered the obvious fact that you just pointed out. That is that the outboard WILL constantly be in salt water since the tilt is an unusable function in a well. I have an old Montgomery Ward 5hp outboard, vintage 1960, inherited from my father that's only been in fresh water and hasn't a mark of corrosion on it. I doubt there's any outboard that could survive 45+ years in salt. Again, an obvious point that just blew right by me.
Old 19-09-2007, 07:27   #11

Gasoline will explode, diesel won't. For me that's all I need to know...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 10:10   #12

They algae growth in the water pump of the outboard leg will cause the pump to failure regualarly.

Honda manuals indicate that the leg should be stored out of the water.

Also the smaller diameter prop on an out board leg reduces the low speed efficiency of the the outboard, usually more slip.
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 14:23   #13

Boat: now floating easy37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Gasoline will explode, diesel won't. For me that's all I need to know...
so will gas(lpg) or metho whcih are commonly used in boats to cook with, common sense is all that is needed
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 16:05   #14

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
[quote=jscott;101506]
Quote:
They algae growth in the water pump of the outboard leg will cause the pump to failure regualarly.
Impellor wear should be no more than in a diesel, I never had a pump or impellor problem with my Yammaha 9.9 which was used REGULARLY over 7 years.

Like everything , if it is not used it will deteriorate

Quote:
Honda manuals indicate that the leg should be stored out of the water.
On the majority of boats they would be, they definetly are on Multi's

Quote:
Also the smaller diameter prop on an out board leg reduces the low speed efficiency of the the outboard, usually more slip.
If you have the right outboard (high thrust) this is not an issue, although the tilt mechanism on the Yamaha was not up for the job of a generous dose of reverse at times.

I believe the new models have a more "robust" mechanism

If I was building anything under 40 ft, I would still be very seriously looking at the outboard option over diesel

Dave
Old 20-09-2007, 01:53   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
[quote=cat man do;101563]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott View Post
... If I was building anything under 40 ft, I would still be very seriously looking at the outboard option over diesel
Dave
Can we presume that, unlike in the Nimble’s “well”, your potential outboard(s) would be transom mounted ?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel