Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2021, 04:31   #1

Boat: Sirius 38DS
Engine Swap Volvo for Yanmar

Looking for advise. I am about to swap my Volvo Penta D255F (2009) to a BELLMARINE electric drive on a Yanmar SD25 saildrive (2021).

As for the Saildrive I am looking for a conversion ring. This way I would be able to avoid any fibreglass works. Internet thas it that www.kkemotorer.dk is offering those rings. Has anybody experience with these or is aware of alternatives? Moreover, what would be the drawbacks of a conversion ring compared to a traditional connection?

Cheers, Stefan
xiam8992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 10:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Engine Swap Volvo for Yanmar

Hmmm. The conversion ring is going to have some thickness, thereby moving the connection out by that much, but that may be accounted for in the electric motor shaft/flange.

Is the saildrive already there or are you converting from a propeller and shaft? If you are converting, all sorts of problems come to mind, because the thrust on a usual motor/shaft/propeller is taken by the engine mounnts. You would need to get rid of it somewhere, either by hard mounting the saildrive to the hull or by the motor having a thrust bearing included and then mounting to the hull.

Either way there are questions of weight and balance. Is the motor weight similar to the Volvo? Are you going to end up nose down?

Better tell us more about the design you have in mind. I don't want to respond with a bunch of stuff that it turns out is not relevant to your situation.
Old 19-04-2021, 10:26   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Engine Swap Volvo for Yanmar

The engine you are taking out is a 40 KW, and the saildrive you're going to use is limited to about 21 KW (I think). What size Bell Marine motor are you proposing? Once we get through the question of power match, then we'll have the question of the hull, if you are converting from shaft/propeller to saildrive, and the honkin' big battery set involved.

It can be done. It may be worth doing. It is going to involve solving some problems.

Tags
engine, volvo, yanmar