Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 07:51   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oriental, NC
Boat: None
Posts: 169
Re: Engine room insulation and positive feed air

Do not rely on adhesive alone to secure the foam. In not to long a time the foam will eventually fall down. Use screws with big washers and or the spikes with a perforated base. Attach the perforated base with something like 5200 adhesive.

Eventually the foam will separate from the glue. The mechanical fasteners will take the load off the glue and prevent premature failure.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 22:35   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, sailing in the Med.
Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50
Posts: 1,127
Re: Engine room insulation and positive feed air

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPNC View Post
Do not rely on adhesive alone to secure the foam. In not to long a time the foam will eventually fall down. Use screws with big washers and or the spikes with a perforated base. Attach the perforated base with something like 5200 adhesive.

Eventually the foam will separate from the glue. The mechanical fasteners will take the load off the glue and prevent premature failure.
I hear where you are coming from, but modern adhesives - as long as the surface is clean -are pretty good.

Our engine bay was built in 2011, and to date all is a good (and as clean ..) as the day it was produced, and that's peel & stick foam too.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 23:24   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ME, TCI, On da boat
Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Posts: 807
Images: 1
Re: Engine room insulation and positive feed air

Quote:
I hear where you are coming from, but modern adhesives - as long as the surface is clean -are pretty good.
The sound barrier foam itself is what fails, not the adhesive. I second using mechanical fasteners like screws and fender washers if using heavy, lead sheet centered sound deadening material.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 23:59   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, sailing in the Med.
Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50
Posts: 1,127
Re: Engine room insulation and positive feed air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
The sound barrier foam itself is what fails, not the adhesive. I second using mechanical fasteners like screws and fender washers if using heavy, lead sheet centered sound deadening material.
Yes, I would say that is correct. Thankfully for us, the foam that Beneteau used on our boat is just fine nearly a decade on. Where I have peeled it back to get extra cabling in, it has seemed perfect, and has gone back like new also.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
engine, insulation

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing Old Engine Room Sound Insulation Adhesive... Suijin Construction, Maintenance & Refit 36 25-03-2018 18:13
Refit Engine Room Insulation. Pelagic Construction, Maintenance & Refit 4 27-02-2013 18:50
Engine Room Sound Insulation Beersmith Construction, Maintenance & Refit 8 25-09-2011 11:34
Engine Room Insulation (Long Question) Zach Engines and Propulsion Systems 21 06-08-2010 18:03
Engine room insulation? Strygaldwir Engines and Propulsion Systems 22 26-11-2006 10:34

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:33.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.