Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2020, 16:39   #1

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit
Engine replacement required - wondering how best to determine what else will fit

Hi All,
My old YSE12 Yanmar "side banger" has finally died, doubtless for lack of effective maintenance, but that is another story...
I have always wanted to repower larger, as I am no particular purist and 8 horsepower in a 6 ton vessel doesn't give a whole of power to weight, so only really useful for air too light to sail, or for sail-assist hard on the wind.
So what I am wondering is how one determines what else will "fit in the hole' when the old one comes out?
The boat is an (Australian) Adams 31 (aft cockpit) sloop, and doesn't have a whole lot of room around or above the current installation.
Is it a question of painstakingly reviewing the physical dimensions of every potential option, or is there a short-cut to this knowledge out there somewhere?
Perhaps someone else with the same vessel might be able to let me know what engine they are running, so I could search only those types with confidence they will fit in the space....
Goodness, I think I just answered my own question - go to the classifieds and look up examples of that boat (clearly need more coffee atm - oof)
...anyways....

mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 18:03   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Engine replacement required - wondering how best to determine what else will fit

Hi, mowerandy, enjoy the coffee.

I'm thinking that's going to be a fairly small space. .....One time when Jim and I were looking at boats, and before we found this one, we were looking at another modern western red cedar strip plank composite constructed one off. The owner was another shipwright, as was the owner of this boat. There did not seem to be a way to introduce a new motor into the boat, and I questioned this. He said to me, "Just cut a hole in the deck and lower it away." They look at these problems differently than me! You may have to enlarge the engine space to fit the engine you'll find yourself wanting.

Good luck with it, mate.

Ann

Old 18-05-2020, 18:59   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Engine replacement required - wondering how best to determine what else will fit

Your yse12 can be rebuilt & will put out more power than a tired one. Depending on whats wrong with it, it may only cost $600, but if the crank is stuffed it might be $1500 if you can do most of the work & buy aftermarket parts. You don't say wether you want to buy new or not. If you want to buy new Beta can supply you with mounts to fit your existing ones. I dont know about prop shaft etc but if you went to 20hp you would need to repitch or change prop.
The engine suppliers can send you the dimensions should you want to buy new.
Sistership to our 26footer along the dock fitted a used 3 cylinder Kubota in where his YS12 was FYI

However maybe a shortcut might be to contact an Adams owners association if there is such a thing.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 19:12   #4
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerandy View Post
Hi All,
My old YSE12 Yanmar "side banger" has finally died, doubtless for lack of effective maintenance, but that is another story...
I have always wanted to repower larger, as I am no particular purist and 8 horsepower in a 6 ton vessel doesn't give a whole of power to weight, so only really useful for air too light to sail, or for sail-assist hard on the wind.
So what I am wondering is how one determines what else will "fit in the hole' when the old one comes out?
The boat is an (Australian) Adams 31 (aft cockpit) sloop, and doesn't have a whole lot of room around or above the current installation.
Is it a question of painstakingly reviewing the physical dimensions of every potential option, or is there a short-cut to this knowledge out there somewhere?
Perhaps someone else with the same vessel might be able to let me know what engine they are running, so I could search only those types with confidence they will fit in the space....
Goodness, I think I just answered my own question - go to the classifieds and look up examples of that boat (clearly need more coffee atm - oof)
...anyways....
Start with the major dimensions. Your YSE12 has a single horizontal cylinder so it is wide, short and low.

Any new engine will have vertical multi cylinders so will be narrow, long and high.

So the length and height will likely to be the critical concerns. First measure the existing space for length (coupler to front of engine compartment) and height (from engine sump to top of engine compartment).

Check these dimensions against the proposed new engines overall dimensions, these available everywhere on the net.

If there is a comfortable buffer than you don't need to do much more ATM. If it looks tight then you have to dig deeper. Maybe seeing if the coupler can be pushed back or the engine compartment extended etc.

FWIW, the Beta range of engines have put all of the user maintenance items (impellers, filters oil extraction pump etc) at the front of the engine simply because most boats don't have much access except at the front. Yanmar isn't so considerate and I don't know about others .,
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 19:17   #5

Compass790's post reminded me that I forgot to say the YSE12 has a LH prop and most new engines will need a RH prop.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 18-05-2020, 19:36   #6

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I bet he's stuck with the old engine unless he can do some significant modification to the boat.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:25   #7

Wotname has it right in #4.

You can help us to help you by taking a blank sheet of paper. On it, sketch a plain box in perspective as best you can. Now, on that drawing, note the vertical clear height of your existing engine compartment, the horizontal clear length, and the horizontal clear width of it. It doesn't have to be a fancy drawing. Scan it into your 'puter and post it here. THEN we can give you sensible help!

I don't know the Adams31, but I'll lay you odds that your displacement is around 9K lbs or, loosely stated, that it's a "five tonner". A good engine, if you can fit it, would be a Beta20.

Cheers.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:27   #8

Boat: Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Compass790's post reminded me that I forgot to say the YSE12 has a LH prop and most new engines will need a RH prop.
Almost every engine is right hand. The transmission determines prop rotation.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 11:30   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

Found a couple of Adams 31s on YouTube, one had a Volvo Penta MD7, the other what appears to be a Yanmar 3 cylinder.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 15:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Almost every engine is right hand. The transmission determines prop rotation.

OK, most new engines that are suitable for a Adams 31 will come with a transmission that uses a RH prop. The OP currently has a LH prop.
Old 19-05-2020, 15:35   #11

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, mowerandy, enjoy the coffee.

I'm thinking that's going to be a fairly small space. .....One time when Jim and I were looking at boats, and before we found this one, we were looking at another modern western red cedar strip plank composite constructed one off. The owner was another shipwright, as was the owner of this boat. There did not seem to be a way to introduce a new motor into the boat, and I questioned this. He said to me, "Just cut a hole in the deck and lower it away." They look at these problems differently than me! You may have to enlarge the engine space to fit the engine you'll find yourself wanting.

Good luck with it, mate.

Ann
I like that approach. Once I had a boat where the previous owner had replaced the engine that way. The boat's original engine blew up on a Thursday night delivery for a Saturday race. The delivery captain called the the owner, "John, the engine blew up". John said, "Cut the cockpit deck out tonight and disconnect the motor, I'll be down tomorrow with the truck and a new motor."

The crew followed the instructions, and the owner showed up Friday with the new motor. On Friday afternoon they pulled out the old motor, lowered in the new one, and fabricated a temporary cover for the hole in the cockpit floor.

Friday night they reconnected the new motor and Saturday, after three nights with no sleep, they went racing, and won.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 15:37   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Interestingly the OP says his yse12 is 8 hp but factory specs are 12hp 1hr rating & 10 continuous??
He may be able to use his existing transmission on another engine.
If his reverse ratio is the same as forward he can use reverse for forward on his YSE12 Kanzaki gearbox as thats what we do with no issues apart from selecting fwd instead of reverse a few times till we got used to it.
Yes agree with trentepieds that 20hp Beta would be good if he wants to buy new if it fits.
Good posts Wotname
Hope mowerandy posts back what he finds
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 15:52   #13

I think you will find the YS12 is wider than a two cylinder normal vertical style engine, so your space issue will likely be height. Do you have some room above?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 16:34   #14

Boat: Catalina 30

I hadn't heard of this boat, and SailboatData doesn't list the 31 either, so I just googled it to see examples for sale. I found several Adams 31s sold in the last few years had bigger, 3 cylinder engines.
Here's a YouTube for one:
https://youtu.be/mULFNEtySCg?t=26
Here's one with a Beta 20:
https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...cockpit/239258
Granted that one was a center cockpit, but I'd bet the engine compartment was the same size and location.
Here's another that had a Volov Penta 3 cylinder:
https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...dams-31/245034
and there was another CC with a Sole 3 cylinder, and finally found ONE old ad for one with a Yanmar 2 cylinder.

I'm thinking the OP has lots of options.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 19:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Interestingly the OP says his yse12 is 8 hp but factory specs are 12hp 1hr rating & 10 continuous??
He may be able to use his existing transmission on another engine.
If his reverse ratio is the same as forward he can use reverse for forward on his YSE12 Kanzaki gearbox as thats what we do with no issues apart from selecting fwd instead of reverse a few times till we got used to its
As you may already be aware of, You can reverse the action of the cockpit gear lever by rotating the shift arm 180 degrees on the gearbox (ie if it was pointing up on the side of the gearbox, take it off and put it back on pointing down)

osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, men