Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 10:08   #16

Boat: Nauticat 32
Re: Engine Oil Leakage - Zero or How Much

We have a Yanmar 38hp, model 3JH2E, 19 years old. No leaks. Does not consume oil.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 10:28   #17

Boat: Pearson 365

Perkins 4-108 leaks through rear seal at a horrible rate-pint every 8 hours of running. Am told it's incurable-even with new seals. Would love to learn otherwise and would love to repair. Otherwise love the engine
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 10:34   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbylinn View Post
We have twin 453 Detroit Diesels that were both rebuilt about 500 hours ago. After rebuilding, we had spot leaks in pan on my drip pads. We replaced the valve cover gaskets, and they are now dry. I've heard that is almost a first for old Detroit Diesels to be dripless...
Old GMs and Harleys are supposed to leak. I would like to know that it isn't a main bearing seal anything else should be a simple fix or put a wick and a drip cup there if your lazy.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 10:38   #19
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
Perkins 4-108 leaks through rear seal at a horrible rate-pint every 8 hours of running. Am told it's incurable-even with new seals. Would love to learn otherwise and would love to repair. Otherwise love the engine
Loving a leaky engine is kinda like loving a cat that craps on the carpet every day. I know some do, but it's not for me. ;-)
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 10:52   #20

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

If you think you can't live with a leaky engine just get a Perkins 4-108. You'll either learn to live with it or go insane, your choice!

I know people who have changed the rear seal just to have the same leak within 6 months. Two mechanics told me they can fix mine but it won't last. So, I live with it. The engine runs great.
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 10:55   #21

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
It's my understanding that when the pan gaskets and seal are replaced that folks mistakenly cut off two small tabs of material that are supposed to be tucked in and remain. Which ensures a proper install and no leaks.

Some posts here support the fact that it can be done properly.

The "it's supposed to leak" idea must be promoted by those that do it wrong.

Also, over tightened pans bolts are a common mistake for some engines. Don't know squat about a Perkins beyond what I've read. But possibly when removed the pan flange should be carefully checked and trued.
Old 29-11-2016, 15:48   #22

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
As an ex-professional can I suggest that you possibly have a plocked PCV system.
Even 4.108 rear mains aren't usually as bad as yours.
Up to you !!!!
Check that your crankcase is breathing efficiently.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 17:20   #23

Boat: Sigma 41

Owned a Hatteras 58 with 8-71s which leaked a lot like most older Detroits but these engines never failed to get me home. Now I have a Perkins 4-108 with 2500 hours built in 1986 with no rear main seal leaks but numerous very small leaks which are easy to wipe down and keep absorbant cloths under the engine. The Perkins runs great so I accept the leaks in exchange for reliability.
dneve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, oil, oil leak