Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2015, 17:49   #1

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 40
Engine Oil for Yanmar 3JH5E

Hello,

I am sorry if I am placing a basic question but I am a bit confused about the API specification that I should look for when choosing the right oil for my Yanmar 3JH5E engine. First of all, I have the printed User Manual in the boat and I am writing at home. I had a pdf file in my PC which (until few hours ago) I thought it was the exact copy of the original manual that came with the boat. At the moment of writing I have 3 slightly different User Manuals on my PC. The Engine Oil Specifications appear in:

- page 47 out of 168 in one pdf (YANMAR JH Series Operation Manual) which I assume is an older version.

-page 43 out of 164 in a second pdf (YANMAR JH Series Operation Manual @ 2009 Yanmar Marine International)

- page 45 out of 168 in a third pdf (YANMAR JH Series Operation Manual @ 2009 Yanmar Marine International)

In addition I also have a Service Manual where the Engine Oil Specifications appear in:

- page 61 out of 380 (YANMAR JH Series Service Manual @ 2009 Yanmar Marine International)

In all the 4 documents the SAE viscosity is said to be 10W30 or 15W40. I am using 15W40. On the API classification, the old manual refers that I could use class CF. A large number of oils that I see in shops, have this classification. As I assume that CF-4 and CI-4 are better, I have discarded "CF oils". Where I live, CF-4 is difficult to find, but I can get some. However, I only could get CI-4 by ordering through the WEB. I have 2 bottles of CI-4 and I am OK for the next 500 hours. However, in future and in a remote cruising area, should I bother to get CI-4 or should I just go with the "more available" CF-4?

Thanks in advance for any comment. Regards, Vladis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil1.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	99740   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil2.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	99741  

Click image for larger version

Name:	oil3.jpg
Views:	1798
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	99742  
Vladis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 19:08   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Engine Oil for Yanmar 3JH5E

This has been shared before:

Oil for yacht engines

Delo 400 (not LE) is CI-4 15W40. It has TBN of 11 whereas CF is TBN 4. But CF isn't available much any more. If you can find quality oil in grade CF that's what I would use. If not then Delo 400 is going to be a reasonable substitute.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 19:24   #3

Boat: Liberty 458

Any C(x) rating equal to or above the manufacturers rating is fine. You can vary viscosity slightly as needed to suit climate or engine wear.

Stay away from synthetics unless the engine has been weaned on it from new.

Also only use diesel rated oils. They handle the ash and sulphur better.

Finally nobody ever did wrong changing engine oil and filter frequently. This also gives you a chance to inspect the oil.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 23:51   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

FWIW, all C(x) rated oils are diesel oils. The petrol oils are all rated S(x).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 01:12   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Any C(x) rating equal to or above the manufacturers rating is fine. You can vary viscosity slightly as needed to suit climate or engine wear.

Also only use diesel rated oils. They handle the ash and sulphur better.

Finally nobody ever did wrong changing engine oil and filter frequently. This also gives you a chance to inspect the oil.

While I concur with most of this post, I remain unconvinced about the first sentence.

For the OP, there is some further discussion on oils here
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hy-133026.html
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 01:16   #6

Yanmar released a update in 2012 stating 15w-40 is now the recommended oil for the JH series both turbo and NA. I use the shell rotella 15w-40 on my 4JH. This was recommended to me by a local Yanmar shop.
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 04:50   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post

I keep seeing this over and over, but without any logical reasoning, just like I see over and over, don't break in a new engine with synthetics, again without any real logical reasoning. The "it's so slippery rings won't seat" is simply not true.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 05:14   #8

Unless Yanmar recommend synthetic for a specific engine I would not use it. I know some turbos cannot survive with synthetic. There are subtleties that can cause problems and it just depends on the engine. Sometimes an oil can be to slippery it won't stay where it needs to be.
Old 31-03-2015, 09:25   #9

Shell Rotella T 15w-40
ron.stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:11   #10

Location: 30 miles outside san antonio, in the tx hill country
Boat: bristol 32 sloop 'white lion'

[QUOTE=transmitterdan;1789559]Unless Yanmar recommend synthetic for a specific engine I would not use it. I know some turbos cannot survive with synthetic. There are subtleties that can cause problems and it just depends on the engine. Sometimes an oil can be to slippery it won't stay where it needs to be.

I drive a VW turbo diesel [TDI]. The factory specs are for synthetic oil.
I am using synthetic in my BUKH dv24 diesel and have had no problems alternating oils as long as it's CF or better rating.

Synthetic oil is fully compatible with regular oil and you can change at any time or mix together.
Lots of information on-line provided by manufactures which isn't here-say.
white lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:16   #11

VW was forced to change to synthetic in the TDI due to problems so in fact they recommend synthetic. But just because it works in a modern car engine does not mean it is good for some other engine. Always go with what the manufacturer recommends. Synthetic is not mineral oil. Most of the time it is interchangeable but not always.

Tags
engine, oil, yanmar