Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2021, 01:31   #1

Engine oil for Universal M18?

Need to do the first oil change on my Universal M18.

Owner manual says:
(SAE 30 HD. (CD) or 10W40)

Is this some specific marine diesel motor oil or what? I dont know what the HD and CD mean.

thanks.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 11:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Engine oil for Universal M18?

Common engine oil comes in two series, labelled "S" for engines that use spark to ignite and "C" for those that use compression. Ergo, gas and diesel. Now you do know what the letters mean. Within a series, oil that meets various standards is labelled SA, SB, SC, etc.

Single numbers (30, etc.) refer to viscousity, 30 being common for engines and 90 being common for gears. Multigrade (10W-40) refers to the oil's performance when cold (no more viscous than grade 10 oil) and when hot (no less viscous than grade 40).

Engines get labelled by minimum standard; as automobile engines have become more sophisticated with closer tolerances and more compression, the grades required go up. We passed "SH" several years ago.

Oh. "HD" is heavy duty.

Your engine will do just fine with any diesel oil you find at Walmart.
Old 13-04-2021, 11:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"SAE" is Society of Automotive Engineers. They set the standards.
Old 13-04-2021, 21:02   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

tkeithlu pretty much said it all,
15w-40 viscosity is pretty bog standard for diesel engines all over the world. I imagine all oil you can buy in North America will exceed the CD standard.
You dont say where in the world you are but if the temp you use the engine in is below freezing I'd go for the 10w -40. It makes for easier starting as it's less thick when cold than straight 30.

Our 1980 Yanmar specifies 30 CD but for the past 8 years I've used 15w-40 CF/ CH4+ or 20w-50 CF oil in temps not below 4oC with no issues.

Just dont buy oil intended for use in DPF equipped diesels. It probably still works but it costs a lot more & doesnt have the zinc additive AFAIK.
Compass790 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 02:04   #5
FTS

Boat: Catalina 25

Timely question for me, Rockinar.

I've got a Universal M-12 and plan on buying Rotella T4 15-40W the next time I see gallons on sale. Correct me if I'm wrong but that shouldn't that exceed the originally specified oil?
FTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 05:21   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rotella T4 meets standard CK-4, way beyond what the designers of the M-12 envisioned. You're good.
Old 14-04-2021, 08:15   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

I second the use of Shell Rotella Conventional motor oil (for diesel).

T4 Conventional multi-grade (15W-40W) if operating in cold temps.

T1 Conventional straight 30W in summer.

I use Rotella in my Universal M25.

cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 08:25   #8

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

The CD standard is from 1955. The API (American Petroleum Institute) sets the standards, the SAE uses these also.

Any current C rated 10W40 is a direct replacement for a 30wt oil. The diesel oils available today far exceed the CD standards and you can use any of them in place of straight 30 wt CD oil. Rotella (Any of them i.e.T1, T4, T6), Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel, Castrol GTX diesel, Lubromoly, Liquimoly, etc.etc will all work fine. Most oils these days for diesel will be CK-4. 15W40 will also work fine if ambient temps are above about 34*F.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 14:17   #9

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Need to do the first oil change on my Universal M18. Owner manual says: (SAE 30 HD. (CD) or 10W40). Is this some specific marine diesel motor oil or what? I dont know what the HD and CD mean.........
As posted above boat owner's have their preference, Shell Rotella, Chevron Delco, etc. I use Chevon Delco 400 SDW heavy duty diesel multi-grade SAE 15W-40 in my Yanmar since I use it all year around in varaible temperatures vs. summer only. Please refer to the link below. HD = heavy duty and CD = international standard for turbo diesel engine oils.

https://denresidence.com/sae-30-vs-10w30/
sail sfbay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 14:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
As posted above boat owner's have their preference, Shell Rotella, Chevron Delco, etc. I use Chevon Delco 400 SDW heavy duty diesel multi-grade SAE 15W-40 in my Yanmar since I use it all year around in varaible temperatures vs. summer only. Please refer to the link below. HD = heavy duty and CD = international standard for turbo diesel engine oils.

CD oils are NOT compatible with turbo diesel engines. CD is an obsolete standard and not suitable for most diesel engines made after 1994.

https://www.api.org/products-and-ser...l-c-categories
Old 15-04-2021, 07:23   #11

Boat: Quickstep 24

All comments appear to be excellent. But I'd add one warning.
Different manufacturers of engine oil use different recipes which is not a problem in and of itself. All are good. But mixing one manufacturers oil with a different manufacturers oil is frowned upon and may cause some unintended consequences (emphasis on "may cause"). So if you're changing the oil brand be sure to drain it all AND change the filter. If you need to add oil between changes try and make it the same brand and weight you used last.
Engine owners tend to have their 'favorite' brand, but it really makes no difference as long as you adhere to the engine's maker's requirement of the SAE required letter designation (that second letter, F or G or H or whatever) or greater. (That is, if they call for CF, then CG or CH or CJ or CK or CN or CP..... is fine.)
RiverRat37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 07:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post

Just FYI, HD means "high detergent" which diesel oils typically are. If you have a gas engine that's sludged up run some C rated oil through it.

It's not likely the OP will find any CD or HD oil out there. They are both obsolete oils that have much, much better replacements more suitable to the low sulphur diesel fuels now in use.

Tags
engine, oil