Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 15:20   #16

Boat: Bristol 35.5
Re: Engine Not Started for 1 Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_marine_28 View Post
Yanmar Diesel in my Island Packet winterized last November(2015) by the yard where she sits on the hard. Unable to launch this summer. Concerned about damage to motor not started for a year...and winter approaches again. Should I ask the yard to winterize the motor again this year? What kind of damage can I expect to encounter with a diesel engine that has not been started for a year?
bought a pearson 35 three years ago with new (70 hours) diesel that hasn't started in 10 yrs.. when it did start it lit up at full throttle and couldn't shut down.. (bad injector pump stuck).. 3x it happened and i said to mechanic "does this have a governor on it?" he said yes or you wouldn't have a motor.. he winterized it again last year after putting in pump and said it ran perfect.. seems these things are bullet proof.. good luck
Old 10-10-2016, 16:50   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Engine Not Started for 1 Year

I bought a boat that had been on the hard for 5 years with no attention. I put in a new battery, and tried to start it. It cranked and started up pretty good, but would not idle. Bad fuel. After the fuel was replaced and the tank cleaned, ran with no trouble. I was pretty surprised, but also happy. Thats me in the picture, looking worried. I bought the boat sight unseen, and had it shipped. Yes, it was a great deal. The PO said it would have been cheaper to give the boat away free rather than pay 5 years of storage fees trying to get a better price. No, not free, but close enough for me. And yes, I had a ton of fun with that boat. Did lots of cleaning and painting, and also lots and lots of sailing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL6.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	132666   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL7.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	132667  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags