Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2020, 06:43   #1

Engine mounts - Yanmar 3JH2?

Im thinking about replacing my engine mounts now when I have the engine out of the boat....But it's an expensive one to replace....so might be able to go with another brand of mounts? Vetus maybe?

But...

Iv heard Yanmar has different mounts depending which side of the engine. Mine is a hooked to a Saildrive. So there is 3 mounts. Two on the engine and one on the Saildrive. The one on the Saildrive has number 230, and I have only seen a number on one of the two mounted on the engine, that one is 200.

The engine is a 3JH2-CE. 39hp. Weight is about 450lbs including Saildrive
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 12:59   #2

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft
Re: Engine mounts - Yanmar 3JH2?

If you want direct drop in replacements, best to stick with the Yanmar ones. I have my engine out for a rebuild & have new engine mounts to install. The old ones were pretty rusty & where about to push the rubber off the steel. My engine is a 2GM20F & has 100 mounts for the front and 75 for the rear.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 13:34   #3

Who I talked to about mine:
Ben Woody
Tel: (425) 355-3669
PYI Inc.
Fax: (425) 355-3661

Price list attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2018 R&D Yanmount Retail-list.pdf (1.11 MB, 95 views)
Happydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 16:14   #4

Thanks!

Is it different mounts when the engine is running on a Saildrive compared to a shaft? I mean...3 vs 4 mounts. Different weight distribution?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 18:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
Thanks!

Is it different mounts when the engine is running on a Saildrive compared to a shaft? I mean...3 vs 4 mounts. Different weight distribution?
Call that guy. Pretty knowledgeable.
Good luck.
Happydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 18:51   #6

Quote:
Thanks!

The front two are just regular Yanmar mounts, probably 100’s but the rear mount on the saildrive is ONLY Yanmar and if you use another brand or type on the front, they should match the hardness of the rear mount.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 19:03   #7
Marine Service Provider

I think you are correct that the mounts are different hardness each side, this is probably due to the torque of the engine turning pushing one side down. The saildrive mount tends to fail first (lower so more likely to get wet and rusty, much smaller, yet it takes more load). Things can get messy if it does fail because that can lead to lots of vibration and damage to the saildrive seal. Replace that with genuine yanmar, it's a special shape.

The mounts on the side of the engine are adjustable so can be replaced with anything of similar hardness, I don't think it's critical that they are different each side but it is critical that they are hard, heavy duty ones otherwise the engine will bounce around a lot - the normal hardness mounts are designed for four mounts supporting the engine, not two. "100" moubts would be way too soft. 200 sounds correct but I can't remember what the other one needs to be, either 150 or 250. You'll find the number on it somewhere if you take it off. The info is online somewhere but I can't remember where I found it when I did mine.

The big problem you'll have with changing the mounts is if the holes don't line up. If they overlap with the yanmar holes then it wont work. If they don't overlap then you can drill and tap new holes. The Yanmar saildrive bed has thick metal plates embedded in the fibreglass. they are drilled and tapped for the bolts which hold the mounts down. I had to drill and tap new holes when I changed my engine for a bigger one so I can tell you it's not an easy job hand tapping a thread that big!

I'd just buy the right mounts. Shop around because there are very big variations in price. There are ways to get parts shipped out from the cheaper dealers (eg. forwarding companies) even if they won't sell to your country.
chris14679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 19:08   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Im thinking about replacing my engine mounts now when I have the engine out of the boat....But it's an expensive one to replace....so might be able to go with another brand of mounts? Vetus maybe?
Research Polyflex mounts. Their "Y" series are all direct Yanmar replacements.

They are failsafe (i.e. will still support the engine if boat is inverted) and the polymers are field replaceable (i.e. not bonded to the engine bed and engine support posts).

Available in USA.

https://www.polyflex.com.au
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 03:48   #9

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

They are different on each side if on a saildrive. When I repowered from 3JH2 to 3JH5 the mechanic noticed the ones shipped with the engine were identical. Mechanic had them send a different one. Distributor acknowledged that they made a mistake. I guess if using on a regular transmission this is not the case.

As explained to me one side is harder to handle the torque. Not sure which side is "stronger". My suggestion is to call any Yanmar distributor. I've dealt with 3 different ones moving around the country and they are the "pros" and know the right answer.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 06:50   #10

Boat: 1972 Formosa 41, 41od 48 oa

I am replacing mine with R&D mounts purchased from PYI inc. they aren't cheap but no more than yanmar but is a a far superior direct replacement for yanmars. made for marine use amd mechanicaly bonded nou just glued like yanmar. I am verry impressed with the quality as well as the knowledge of the PYI reps. there site adress is www.pyiinc.com
capt.rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 11:18   #11

I have a set to sell. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0178.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	209363
jmurray109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, yanmar