Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2016, 14:25   #1

Engine Mounts

I have a Yanmar 3GM30F with a SD20 saildrive. I need to replace the two motor mounts on the engine and the rubber mount on the saildrive. Any advice on doing this would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking I can replace the motor mounts one at a time, without disconnecting the saildrive, but am not sure if this is possible. Also, are there alignment issues like there are for shaft drives? Thank for your help!
cyphert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 15:33   #2

Re: Engine Mounts

Yes... do it one at a time... you likely will have to re align the motor to the shaft... Usually you release the bolts of the transmission to the prop shaft.. and re attach and align the plates of the coupling by raising or lowering the engine mounts or even moving them laterally. You align the engine to the prop shaft. Once all mounts are installed the plates must be perfectly parallel for alignment. When the are parallel.. torque the coupling bolts... and the engine mount vertical alignment nuts.

Re-torque all the nuts. Engine should run without vibration nor water from the shaft coupling or stuffing box.

Basically it goes something like this if there is no sail drive:

Purchase all the mounts you will be replacing. Verify that they are identical... and match the hole pattern.

Remove engine parts to gain access to the bolts and the engine brackets which the mounts are connected to.

Before removing ANYTHING take pics

Put wood blocking under the engine at the location of the mount you are replacing. Large footprint is better.

Remove the top nut on vertical adjustment bolt of the engine mount.

Measure the height and lateral location of the engine before removing the BRACKET to ENGINE BOLTS.

Loosen the bolts securing the bracket to the engine.

Lift the bracket off. Clean removed parts.

Remove the old engine mount - clean or paint the stringer as needed.

NOTE: you want to put the new mount as close to where the old one was in 3 axes if you can.

Bolt the NEW engine mount to Stringer.

Raise or lower bolt to the height of the bolt of the removed mount. You want the same height. If the mount has slotted holes for the bolts you use this for lateral (athwartship) alignment. Before torquing the mount to the stringer... bolt the bracket to the engine and position the engine mount so the vertical alignment bolt goes straight through the bracket when the bracket bolts are torqued down tight.

USE a PIPE to extend the wrench for leverage (torque). Once the bracket it torqued down AND the mount is aligned and the vertical alignment bolt plumb, and the lower bolt is raised right up to the bracket.... torque the bolts/nuts to the stringer.

Put the top nuts on the engine mount vertical alignment bolt. hand tighten. At this point all nuts are torqued except the top top nut of the vertical alignment bolt.

REPEAT the above for each mount.

Align the engine to the shaft by raising or lowering the engine mount nuts. When the coupling plates are parallel torque the bolts on the plate and then all the engine bracket and engine mount bolts.

Put all the parts back on the motor... belts etc...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 17:27   #3

Thank for the great information. My one concern is that my engine setup is with a Yanmar SD 20 saildrive. Thus there is no shaft, stuffing box, cutlas bearing etc. What concerns, if any, does this pose in terms of alignment?
cyphert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 19:23   #4

Boat: islandpacket

Those motor mounts are incredibly expensive at $250 each.
Torensons marine has aftermarket ones at $50 each. You could change them all. I'm getting ready to sand blast mine if I cant get them cleaned up to please me, I'm going the aftermarket path. Best of luck

Tags
engine