Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 16:19   #1

Engine kill cable?

The control cable for my engine kill switch seized up from rust inside the sheath, so I replaced it with another cable, not quite the same and the sheath does not fit in the existing clamp, so it is basically useless at this point, clearly the cable I bought was too big. I've been searching around for another clamp I could put on there, and noticed that this new one is already starting to rust as well.

I've thought about finding the proper size cable, but it got me thinking what is the ideal engine kill switch arrangement? Reliable and not subject to rust?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190505_191544.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	191487  
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 14:04   #2

Re: Engine kill cable?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 07-05-2019, 14:16   #3

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
The control cable for my engine kill switch seized up from rust inside the sheath, so I replaced it with another cable, not quite the same and the sheath does not fit in the existing clamp, so it is basically useless at this point, clearly the cable I bought was too big. I've been searching around for another clamp I could put on there, and noticed that this new one is already starting to rust as well.

I've thought about finding the proper size cable, but it got me thinking what is the ideal engine kill switch arrangement? Reliable and not subject to rust?
I had the same problem. Look for motorcycle choke cables and get the best quality one.
I was not able to replace just the cable, you'll need to figure out how to replace the cable and its handle within you engine panel or wherever it is mounted on. This is the simplest way to stop the diesel, to cut the fuel in the governor.
Google choke cable. I hope this helps.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 14:32   #4

It looks like that choke cable is exactly what I bought, albeit too large of diameter. I was hoping to find something that was corrosion resistant enough I wouldn't have to replace it again!
Old 07-05-2019, 14:39   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

Try bicycle brake cables. Most are poly wrapped cable so seal the cut end well (dip in your choice of sealant), many sizes types and dirt cheap.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 14:40   #6

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
It looks like that choke cable is exactly what I bought, albeit too large of diameter. I was hoping to find something that was corrosion resistant enough I wouldn't have to replace it again!
Yeah, I know...
I looked extensively for that and could not find anything. To use steering cable would be overkill. Most of what is on the engine is prone to rust anyway...
Since this is such a simple thing to replace and relatively cheap, I bought a couple just in case.... I greased (inside the jacket) before installing and spray it once in a while to delay the deterioration...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 14:43   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Try googling stainless steel push pull control cables. i haven't tried them but imagine it would be a step in the right direction. You have to keep lubing carbon steel control cables on a boat
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 14:47   #8

I suppose there are electronic means of accomplishing this... but expensive I'm sure and subject to the same reliability issues (of a different nature of course)
Old 07-05-2019, 16:06   #9

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Mine is actually all bronze, doesn't rust, inherited it with the boat, probably original, cause I couldn't find one like it anywhere.

Just use a standard 33C cable or the least expensive equivalent; they generally have a a stainless core and a polymer lining, you should be able to get a 10 footer for less than 20.00.

A T- handle can be made with a 2" section of 3/8" rod (cutoff stainless bolt), drilled and tapped in the center with a 10-32 hole, or one can be cast in thickened epoxy with a 10-32 nylock in the center. Or you can buy a handle from Teleflex (or whoever they are nowadays), but I bet they're pretty proud of them. Plenty of home-brew options for the engine end, or off-the-shelf solutions are readily available too...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 16:13   #10

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:

Just use a regular morse/teleflex cable like the others on your engine, snap on fittings on the engine and "t" handle at helm. Dearer than the cable you have installed but will end up way cheaper in the end.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 16:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Just use a regular morse/teleflex cable like the others on your engine, snap on fittings on the engine and "t" handle at helm. Dearer than the cable you have installed but will end up way cheaper in the end.
^^^^^ Like he said. People are always dissing the price of marine grade stuff but sometimes it really matters.

If you are using a good brand name Morse/Teleflex cable and it is STILL rusting in short order, you need to figure out WHY. Is there salt water dripping/spraying nearby?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 19:53   #12

That 33C control cable is exactly what I'm looking for. It looks like there are a few options, including a utility cable version that comes with the handle already on it... as you said they are quite proud of the price.

If I did get the cheaper 33C version, how do you go about mounting the ends?

Tags
engine