Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2021, 12:16   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
engine dies after 2 hour run

My Catalina 30 has the Universal M25 XP engine; it's been reliable for the nine years I've owned it and reasonably maintained. It starts just fine. However, in the past year it has shut off after running for two hours or so at cruising speed; I can get it started again but often after a long wait (hours or more). I've replaced the old fuel lines and filters (it has a Raycor water separator); fuel looks clean. I can't continue to rely on sailing into the harbor; the slip is four ninety degree turns away even if I have a good wind (besides, it makes the passengers nervous). Any suggestions?
Anchorage Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:25   #2

Boat: 29 ft
Re: engine dies after 2 hour run

Could be a clogged tank ventilation line. In which case it should be possible to restart if you open the filler fitting to let air into the tank.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:36   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I won't claim to have the magic answer, but considering that you have a repeated and consistent running time before the cut-off, I would look for something that is a distant blockage to your fuel supply that takes time for the effect. My guess (and absolutely a guess) would be to investigate the fuel pick-up tube rising from near the bottom of your fuel tank. At the top of this tube their is often a screen and/or check valve that may be blocking are reducing the the flow of fuel. You have other means to filter you fuel that you can deal with much more easily. I would remove any of the restrictions in your fuel tank pick-up tube.

I just read Hesti's idea and am editing my post. For sure, check his possible solution first as it's the easier fix!
Old 07-06-2021, 13:00   #4

After the above, i would look at cooling system, clean your strainer, check your impeller, check the exchanger, thermostat too if your not getting an overheat alarm.
Definitely sounds like you have reduced flow in the system.
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 13:17   #5

Boat: Owner built 60í Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Consistently two hours? Cooling system... but maybe a bubble building spot in the fuel lines. Yanmar had this happen because the fuel returned to the filter, not the tank. Last, something floating In the tank. Gets to X level, hits the pick up tube.
Jug the fuel supply with a new direct line, simple filter and you might find your gremlins.
Happy trails to you.
The manatee crew
Manateeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 14:01   #6

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber

Unless your overheating, which you do not mention, it is not the cooling system.

The engine is either drawing small bubbles of air into the fuel line somewhere between the fuel pump and the bottom of the fuel tank pick up tube. Which eventually turns into a big bubble and when it tries to run through the fuel injection pump the engine shuts down. Or; You have something in the fuel tank that is blocking the fuel flow.

Due to the consistency of the event, I would say an air leak.
roryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 19:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesti View Post
Could be a clogged tank ventilation line. In which case it should be possible to restart if you open the filler fitting to let air into the tank.
Thanks; this looks like a promising idea. The two hour figure was just a rough estimate; it's been inconsistent but pretty consistently failing after some longish time. Makes it hard to even test a cure.
Anchorage Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:53   #8

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Re: Yanmar 3gm stops at random underway!
Air leak guaranteed. Yes check your vent first, it's easy. After that, it gets a bit harder. I have been there with my Yanmar.
First, wrap a small piece of paper towel around EVERY fitting from tank to engine. Running the engine may do it and show damp diesel on a section where the fitting is loose. Gotta remember the diesel engine SUCKS diesel so the air gets sucked INTO the fitting and for that reason you might see nothing even thig there's a leak. IF no luck this way, don't give up. You need to get a small pump and PUMP diesel through the system preferably staring at the tank end of the hose. This WILL show a leak if it exists in the system between the tank and the engine. Yes, I did ALL this to find my leaks (2) even though I have all copper flare pipe fittings!
PM me if you need more help. It isn't likely to be anything else (except the vent, Yes I had a spider web clog one of my vents once, too, same scenario engine running stopping, etc.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:55   #9

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

PS I posted by reply just a few days ago Basically same problem under the Yanmar stops heading.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorage Frank View Post
My Catalina 30 has the Universal M25 XP engine; it's been reliable for the nine years I've owned it and reasonably maintained. It starts just fine. However, in the past year it has shut off after running for two hours or so at cruising speed; I can get it started again but often after a long wait (hours or more). I've replaced the old fuel lines and filters (it has a Raycor water separator); fuel looks clean. I can't continue to rely on sailing into the harbor; the slip is four ninety degree turns away even if I have a good wind (besides, it makes the passengers nervous). Any suggestions?

I am by no means an expert, but here is my 2 cents.

When this happens you may want to try bleeding the engine. It is generally a very simple procedure. If it is an air issue as others have suggested, it may allow you to restart right away (and verify an air issue).
DenisHeinrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:11   #11

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Chances are almost 100% it is a fuel related problem. If it were something else it would die sooner. Even the overheating thing I'm not buying into. You're getting air in small amounts somewhere.

I had a similar issue on my boat. Finally clipped the fuel line back 1" where it connected to the engine. Didn't see anything wrong with it mind you but I'd fiddled with every other part of the system. It worked.
Cpt Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:33   #12

If it just "dies" I would suspect it runs out of fuel (fuel starvation).

You have an electric fuel pump on the 25XP.

If it is the "round" Facet pump, the bottom comes off and there is a "secret" filter "screen" inside that clogs. ("the 'forgotten' filter).

Some Racor filters have an anti backflow "check valve" in the inlet which can collect gunk. Remove the valve and clean. (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...or-205935.html )

Maybe your electric fuel pump overheats and stops working.?

See if fuel is still getting to the engine filter/injector pump right after the engine "dies".

With the ignition switch ON, the electric fuel pump will be energized and may be running (clicking). Disconnect the fuel tank return line from the "bleed" thumbwheel at the injector pump inlet. Open the thumbwheel and fuel should come out of the hose nipple.

If you do not have a "thumbwheel / return line" then you have a simple bleed fitting. Turn on the ignition, loosen the fitting and fuel should spurt out.

No fuel= no fuel getting to engine. (or engine-mounted filter is clogged..)

Other areas (some already mentioned) of possible stoppages:
- Fuel tank pickup
- inlet of Fuel shutoff valve at tank (if one is installed)
- Clogged fuel tank vent (bugs/ wasps). Open the fuel deck fill cap to relieve any vacuum and see if engine will start.
-Old fuel hose collapsing (internal walls).

Cheers.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:36   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorage Frank View Post
Is there a high temp. kill along with the gauge. Sending units can be very flaky.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:45   #14
DNK

Boat: Robert Perry Sunrise 36

Iím not familiar with the Universal M25 XP but can make a suggestion based on past experience. Place a vacuum gage between the engine and your filter. Get a reading right after you start your engine. If after time the reading goes up the problem is most likely either the filter or the pickup. As mentioned most pickups have a screen over the end and as time goes along junk can get sucked onto the screen and eventually block it. After the engine shuts down the junk drops off the screen and the scenario repeats itself.
If the reading goes down then the problem could be a faulty fuel pump or as has been said an air leak. ( There should be specs for your fuel pump which are useful but not necessarily important.) These types of leaks are very hard to find. Good Luck.
DNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:52   #15

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

the electric fuel pump is only for priming the engine. It is not used during normal operations.
Cpt Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine