Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2013, 12:05   #1

Boat: 1978 Tartan 37
Engine BROKEN in Mexico

Need to find a yard and mechanic for major engine work on 1978 Tartan 37 with a Westerbeke 40. re-build or re-power here in MEXICO! Puerta Vallerta or Mazatlan?

Background:
I've been getting great info from the Forums for a few years now, first posting! I saved up for a good one!

We left CA Dec 17, 2012 and eased our way down coast as far as Acapulco. Heading back up, we skipped the Gulf of California on the way down so we were heading for the Sea for the summer.

Lost our engine about 30 miles South of Manzanillo, Colima MX. Sailed up to Barre de Navidad (there is a marina here) and got some help from the local cruiser fleet to bring our 1978 Tartan 37 to dock in the marina. re April 3, 2013

To date we have rigged an outboard Mercury 9.9 on the transom and think we are ready to get out of port here and head on up the coast. Puerta Vallerta, Jalisco or Mazatlan, Sinaloa or ???

Soooooo, I need a reference for a mechanic and yard ???

Engine problem is that we lost oil into bilge/sump and motor started to knock and stopped. Apparent location of leak is connection of the oil cooler to engine, either the oil feed line or return line may have failed??? There are no cracks or holes in the hoses, but the oil sprayed out in that area of the engine compartment.
We refilled to engine oil and tried the starter to try to see where the leak might be coming from and got about a half turn before a loud SQUEEK stopped the engine from turning any more. Have not tried to start it since!

We toyed with the idea of pulling the head, dropping the oil pan, etc. But don't think we can do much useful investigation of the problem without pulling the engine. So we are heading north in search of a yard and mechanic...

Photos on blog: svhajime.wordpress.com
carmer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 12:30   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Engine BROKEN in Mexico

hajime---look up mario gonzalez, the diver inmazatlan. tell him karen said to see you about a repair of engine. he is listed in the cruisers guide under divers as mario gonzalez. call his telephone. he has contract for tuna and shrimp boats andknows everyone. if no answer on fone--he is in old harbor, at club nautico--everyone knows him.

good luck.

in pv--i dont know repair guys--i found the only one and he isnt there anymore.....

omg stay in barra--my mechanic is there right now -- he just sailed in on the green steelie from canada...go talk with him. tell him i sent you ...we are also going to soc--but he has to come here again first, sans boat, as he is helping me as i still i have problems with my boat...look him up--he is spozed to be here again in a couple more days so we can go to barra to rest a few days..or more. i am still in zihuatenejo.

btw--have ye found oars for our walker bays yet..lol..i am she.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, Mexico