Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2020, 15:10   #31

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Engine and sea water

Looks almost like new.

With only 200 hoursm there's really no absolute need to do anything but disassemble, remove whatever rust you think necessary, clean it all up really well, and reassemble. If the cylinder bores are pitted either honing, boring or liner replacement could be necessary, (and then new rings would be in order) but I'd bet strongly against it. Depending on the price of new, and the actual condition of the main and rod bearings, I wouldn't think twice about reusing the old ones, given their low hours.

At most the journal shown (I assume it's a rod journal), might need polishing, but it doesn't really appear so, (though the disco lighting makes it hard to tell for sure).
The bearings themselves would probably provide more information.

Of course, you're 'supposed to' check all the journals for size, ovality and taper, but again, at 200 hrs, unless you had an oil related failure, there likely won't be enough wear to measure.

After polishing (if you think it necessary) check the clearances with plastigage, and if there's any question have the crank checked by a engine rebuild machine shop.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 16:29   #32

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Engine and sea water

Thanks Jim. That disco light is sunlight shining through a cheap plastic tarp lol.

I agree although I'm taking the crankshaft to an engine rebuilder to get it polished and machined as required and I will throw in some new bearings while it's apart just because I don't plan on doing this again. Pistons and bores are fine. Biggest issue is gunk. The stuff is all through everything so I'm going to disassemble and clean as much as I can.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, water