Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2017, 14:30   #16
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21
Re: End of season engine maintenance - DIY or hire a pro?

the most difficult part of it all for me is Not Making a Mess spilling oil or pink stuff.

the rest is relatively easy.
Old 29-09-2017, 16:12   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Awesome thread!!

I feel like I learned a lot from just reading all the posts. I'm in New Jersey (right outside of NYC) and will be winterizing my Jeanneau probably some time in November. I told my neighbor I'll pay him for his time to help me out the first time and it's definitely worth to have someone watching over your back. I do agree it's somewhat fun and you can definitely learn a lot and that knowledge may help you when you're out and time is of the essence.

A big thank you to everyone that contributed!!
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 16:20   #18

Boat: J42

I modified a replacement toilet flush tank float valve to add a garden hose attachment. I attach the hose and drop the works in a 5 gal bucket along with a 3' hose attached to a gate valve teed in above the raw water through hull. Turn on the hose which fills the bucket and then run the engine to flush out salt and suspend crud and warm up the oil. Shut off the hose and shut down engine. Fill bucket with 5 gal of purple. Restart engine and suck that thru. Then change the oil and filter. Good to go.
Boston Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 16:24   #19

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

When I first got my Hunter 356 I had it winterized every year by professional mechanics. I decided I needed to learn how to do it myself, so the first year I worked alongside the mechanic and we both did the winterization. I wrote a checklist, installed some T’s in the lines, built a bucket with a valve and hose to connect to the T’s and have been doing it ever since.

None of the work involved is rocket science. It is mostly common sense and following procedure. Also you need the correct parts and tools. Once you’ve done it you will know your boat better.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 16:47   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
End of season engine maintenance - DIY or hire a pro?

Many years ago there was a book written by I believe an aircraft structural engineer on how to keep your VW alive.
In it he postulated that no one had enough money to pay someone else to repair their VW. It was just too simple and the rewards of doing it yourself were too great.
I have always liked that observation, and have thought that if more people actually worked on what they owned and operated, then maybe they would be better designed.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muir_(engineer)

Anyway, no one makes enough money to pay someone else to maintain their sailboat engine.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 16:50   #21

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
the most difficult part of it all for me is Not Making a Mess spilling oil or pink stuff.

the rest is relatively easy.
DO get a GOOD oil extractor similar to this...

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...23?recordNum=3

and an oil filter wrench.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 11:31   #22

Boat: Pearson 34

Go for it. Read up or use a checklist from Nigel Calder's book. I have never used a pro, and never had a problem - and I'm an accountant.
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 14:41   #23

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprice View Post
DO get a GOOD oil extractor similar to this...

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...23?recordNum=3

and an oil filter wrench.
Spend $150 on a good electric oil pump. Well worth it. Mine is mounted on the engine room wall and permanently connected to oil pan. Sure makes it easy.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 17:45   #24

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post

Do it yourself. If you don't feel confident hire someone experienced to look over your shoulder the first time. It's important to be familiar with your engine. Can save your life or, at least, your boat.

Plus, it's sort of fun.
This! I'm doing it myself for the first time this fall, and I'll probably pay someone to watch while I do the work. Yes, I could probably do it without help, but I'd like to be sure I don't miss anything and am always willing to learn from others' experience.

(My financial philosophy for the first year of boat ownership is to pay whatever it takes. Next year I'll start looking at where I can save money, where I can do it myself vs. hiring professionals, and so on.)
Old 30-09-2017, 22:59   #25

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Of course, nobody has so far asked where you'll be leaving the boat or how cold it gets....

I'm able to do things myself, changing the oil is quite easy but flushing the salt water system water, then filling it with antifreeze takes some thought....

I hope this helps...
I should have mentioned the location - Aegina Island in the Saronic Gulf, just South of Athens. Sub-zero temperatures are definitely a possibility, so I need to take that into account.

Thank you. I really appreciate the time you and others took to offer suggestions and advice. I do need to learn more about the engine, and that should perhaps be the primary consideration. It is fair to say that I am inadequately knowledgeable about the boat's powerplant.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:10   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
I should have mentioned the location - Aegina Island in the Saronic Gulf, just South of Athens. Sub-zero temperatures are definitely a possibility, so I need to take that into account.

Thank you. I really appreciate the time you and others took to offer suggestions and advice. I do need to learn more about the engine, and that should perhaps be the primary consideration. It is fair to say that I am inadequately knowledgeable about the boat's powerplant.
I have a permanent valve installed off of a hose that makes draining into a bucket simple. Important to bring it up to temp to open thermostat when flushing.Helps that my engine is raised and driven by belts which gives me a lot of space under the engine. Get a good manual on your engine and read it.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:39   #27

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
After 4 months of faultless service this summer, the Volvo D2-75 in our Dufour 455 is about to take a break for 6 months during the European winter.

Is it feasible for a reasonably competent amateur to perform the requisite checks and maintenance on that engine, to ensure it is ready for another equally faultless summer next year, or is it a better idea to pay a professional to maintain the engine?

Partly depends on whether you mean winterization... or some other service.

If the former... there's not really much to do, in winter. Change the oil (engine and gear, and genset), change the filters, flush the raw water cooling systems with suitable antifreeze, done. Then in Spring, change the coolant and fuel filters.

There's the rest of the boat to winterize, too, of course. Plumbing, ACs, heads, etc. Are you good to go with that part of it?

If you've never done that stuff, one approach might be to hire a tech do do the work and show you how at the same time. The next time, you can decide how much to do yourself...

FWIW, after I do the oil changes, I have our yard flush our engine/genset raw water cooling systems anyway, even though I can do it myself. Takes them about 45 minutes for them to flush, using a huge portable tank and pump, whereas I can't even hump that much antifreeze down the dock that quickly. In this case, their labor cost is relatively trivial...

If you mean some other service... depends.

-Chris
Old 04-10-2017, 06:52   #28

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Partly depends on whether you mean winterization... or some other service.

If the former... there's not really much to do, in winter. Change the oil (engine and gear, and genset), change the filters, flush the raw water cooling systems with suitable antifreeze, done. Then in Spring, change the coolant and fuel filters.

There's the rest of the boat to winterize, too, of course. Plumbing, ACs, heads, etc. Are you good to go with that part of it?

If you've never done that stuff, one approach might be to hire a tech do do the work and show you how at the same time. The next time, you can decide how much to do yourself...

FWIW, after I do the oil changes, I have our yard flush our engine/genset raw water cooling systems anyway, even though I can do it myself. Takes them about 45 minutes for them to flush, using a huge portable tank and pump, whereas I can't even hump that much antifreeze down the dock that quickly. In this case, their labor cost is relatively trivial...

If you mean some other service... depends.

-Chris
Thanks, the rest of it I intend to do myself. There is no AC, and the plumbing is something that I am reasonably OK with, having replaced just about all the pumps since we took delivery of the boat.

The engine is my biggest concern because it is obviously a critical system, and because I somehow managed to avoid learning the practicalities of maintaining an engine. A potential issue is that I only have about a week before the boat is meant to come out of the water, and maybe a week or two to get everything winternised for a 6-month period. I don't know whether it is feasible to fit too much reading into two or three rather busy weeks.

Thanks for the advice.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 18:56   #29

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

If that's the case , find someone that will do it with you and pay for a little lesson .
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:15   #30

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
The engine is my biggest concern because it is obviously a critical system, and because I somehow managed to avoid learning the practicalities of maintaining an engine. A potential issue is that I only have about a week before the boat is meant to come out of the water, and maybe a week or two to get everything winternised for a 6-month period. I don't know whether it is feasible to fit too much reading into two or three rather busy weeks.

Aside from the "learning while you're doing" thing, and maybe any access issues you might have that coiuld make things take a bit longer... the actual amount of work to winterize the engine, and the actual time necessary to do that work, isn't really huge.

One (relatively small?) engine, say 4 hours total (more or less) to winterize, assuming no built-in oil sucker and if you maybe have a decent transfer pump available for flushing the raw water side.

You can break that into two halves, if necessary. Oil change while in the water (helps immensely to be able to run the engine beforehand, to heat the oil enough to make it more easily suck-able.) Flushing raw water either while in the water or on the hard.

Just to add a bit more about maintenance NOT necessarily related to winterizing... for later... some other likely chores might be periodic zinc anode replacement (usually easy), periodic flushing of the heat exchanger (raw water and freshwater/coolant sides), ditto aftercooler (but you likely don't have one of those), periodic belt replacement, periodic raw water pump impeller replacement, etc.

"Periodic" varies quite a but for those, depending on engine, usage, etc... but most of those individually don't take much learning either. Your engine's service manual should have the table of periods, and will likely have instructions. If that's still a bit intimidating, pay a tech to walk you through it... could be money well spent.

-Chris

Tags
engine, maintenance