Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2022, 06:35   #1

Electronic Throttles upgrade

Twin Volvo-Penta diesel upgrade from Morse Cable throttles to Electronic throttles…engines are mechanical with no computerisation or electronic ports…trying to locate a individual/source that is familiar with the operation of the many various brands available which has been driving me a little bonkers trying to research…the obsolutes are a synchronisation mode AND most importantly it must be accomplished by comparison of engine RPMs not by synchronisation of actuators throttle arm positioning which appears to be the popular/easiest method… Thank for your help SkipperSeal
Gumshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:55   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Electronic Throttles upgrade

Twin humming together are a beautiful thing. My understanding is Volvo has all their players assigned and you should contact Volvo marine. I watched them being added to my BMWs without an option. Frankly I never noticed the change from cable.
Rumrace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 09:03   #3

Appreciate the response…in checking with A Volvo Tech he explained that Volvo did, not too long ago, manufacture a electronic add-on throttle control that attached directly to the injector pump in front of the governor…however if the unit failed there was no external means of controlling the throttle…I personally have not located any info on this unit but did email Volvo-Penta with no response in 2 weeks….
Old 10-08-2022, 09:22   #4

Boat: Catalina 400

I would recommend using a system from ZF called 9110 microcommand. You install 1 for each engine and there it has synchronization built in. I have installed 100's of these systems and they are bullet proof. No computer required to set up or to adjust at a later date.

QUOTE=Gumshoe;3665200]Twin Volvo-Penta diesel upgrade from Morse Cable throttles to Electronic throttles…engines are mechanical with no computerisation or electronic ports…trying to locate a individual/source that is familiar with the operation of the many various brands available which has been driving me a little bonkers trying to research…the obsolutes are a synchronisation mode AND most importantly it must be accomplished by comparison of engine RPMs not by synchronisation of actuators throttle arm positioning which appears to be the popular/easiest method… Thank for your help SkipperSeal[/QUOTE]
Marinetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 18:49   #5

Marinetech much appreciate your response I was not aware of ZF having this type of system…I was researching the Marex ECS 500 system as it utilises separate throttle and gear shifting actuators…my intention is to only upgrade the throttle system for now as my boat (a retired Swedish Sea Rescue Ship I am restoring and converting to a liveaboard) uses a gearbox with a CPP system with single prop shaft output…Could you tell me if the ZF system uses RPM input from both engines to operate in synchronisation mode?? the other systems I have researched DO NOT use RPM signals from the engines. but synchronise the actuator arm positions for this mode…regards SkipperSeal
Old 10-08-2022, 19:05   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Electronic Throttles upgrade

Id recommend Kobelt electronic controls , semi commercial , expensive but very high end with full synchronising features.

My friend fitted one to his boat recently. Super gear

https://www.kobelt.com/docs/default-...rsn=3101563e_0

The “ mighty mariner “ range is designed for self install and the synchroniser uses propellor shaft pickups for precise synchronisation
Old 11-08-2022, 02:07   #7

Goboatingnow…appreciate your input…and Kobelt appears to cover all the bases..I will query them concerning my situation….twin engines with a gearbox and single prop shaft output…I am hoping the twin shaft sensor synchronisation can be moved to the engines…we shall see…thannks again SkipperSeal
Old 11-08-2022, 03:01   #8

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

You say upgrade, I say downgrade
Speaking from experience I would never have electronic engine anything
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:13   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumshoe View Post
Goboatingnow…appreciate your input…and Kobelt appears to cover all the bases..I will query them concerning my situation….twin engines with a gearbox and single prop shaft output…I am hoping the twin shaft sensor synchronisation can be moved to the engines…we shall see…thannks again SkipperSeal

They have a huge range of options.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:48   #10

I’ve been working with ZF for fitting a SeaRex. I’ve known the company for years. They make the Automatics and paddle shifting BMW and Corvette transmissions. I’ve had a bunch. When the BMW dealer says you need a new transmission for $6500 you take it to a Chevy transmission shop. Exact same transmission. 2 clutch packs monster. Wasn’t aware of the engine controls. Thanks very much. I’m running a LS3 I’ve adapted a cable to. I’m convinced it’s not safe. Thanks thanks thanks
Old 11-08-2022, 05:53   #11

Twin engines one shaft?
Old 11-08-2022, 06:06   #12

Through two hydraulic clutches and into a 3 gear gearbox (a gear for each clutch input and a larger gear connecting the two)…the larger gear carries the prop shaft output…oddly there is no means of compensation for a mismatch of RPMs so engine RPMs have to be as exact as possible before engaging the clutches…hence my upgrade must use engine RPM comparison rather than the throttle arm positioning synchronisation…
Old 11-08-2022, 06:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
You say upgrade, I say downgrade
Speaking from experience I would never have electronic engine anything
That is probably a result of you not ever having owned a twin diesel with hydraulic clutches into a gear box with single prop shaft output and no means of compensation for mismatched RPMs between engines…trying to maintain synchronisation of engine RPMs manually becomes damn tiring considering twin tachs become useless when the clutches are engaged and you must monitor EGT readings to maintain some balance….SkipperSeal
Old 11-08-2022, 07:46   #14

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

The problem I'm seeing now with your scenario is that one engine can still drive the other. The engine speeds will match, one engine will have a lower throttle setting than the other yet the RPM matching will be satisfied.

Without measuring output torque or egt's you'll never really be 50/50 load sharing, you'll likely have a greater than 60/40 split until you really get heavy on the throttle.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:37   #15

A motorcycle called the Ariel Square ran two cranks in an awkward marriage. It didn’t work Mickey Thompson 4 4 wheel drive for fun.
Modern Electric motors have constant torque they could work in groups.
A combustion motor has a standoff period and pulses as each cylinder fire and a lesser one for swinging the flywheel counter weight.
Twin engine drag bikes last minutes before something breaks
The Ariel Square despite being very cool was a total lemon.
Volvo sea drive time

Tags
rot