Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2016, 17:06   #1

Electrical system of perkins

hey guys!

I bope this my last question about my new perkins perama 103. Im about to hook up al electrical cables but i gave some doubts regarding some cable attachments. See pictures.

A) Control panel
1) Black-braun cable goes to W on alternator, hence revolution counter. So i guess it has to be conected to tachometer on control panel where two slots are available, marked + and 24. So where to attach it here?

2) What is the red cable coming from ignition switch? There is no other red cable on the engine like this one.

B) there is a thing i reference to further as 'black box' because i dont know what it is. Perhaps some kind of relay? Do i need it or can i disconnect it comletely?

B) Other disconnected cables
1) black one - i traced this one and the other end is connected to engine body, ground. But where should i connect the loose end?

2) red-braun - perhaps to the free terminal on the 'black box'? This terminal is marked I. There is no nut on the terminal so i guess it became loose and thus disconnected. This cable goes to ignition switch.

3) thick green cable on the 'black box'. There is anywhere counter part for this cable. Have no idea here. The slot is marked as S.

4) green-green cable. This one is connected to the ignition switch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	437.3 KB
ID:	117501  
arecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 17:07   #2

Re: Electrical system of perkins

And second picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	117502  
Old 24-01-2016, 17:39   #3

Okey funny, the 'black box' is obviously relay. However, the 4 terminals are not marked, so wiring schema is of little use.
Old 24-01-2016, 18:03   #4

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

I'll start. The thing you are calling a relay is what I would call a starter solenoid (square shape with silver showing, 2 heavy and two light terminals) My guess is you take that black wire which you say is grounded, hook it to the open terminal beside where the green is hooked and put power to the green to close the solenoid to engage the starter. If this is a diesel you need to find a run solenoid as well but what I just told you should engage the starter.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.bobandmarilyn.ca
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 19:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The object with Brown wires on each side and the loose Green wire is a solenoid normally used to operate a starter. Sometimes they are used to turn on equipment that uses high amps. The green wire probably went to a switch or button that activates the solenoid. A previous owner may have used it to connect a 2nd battery for charging or some other high amp purpose. You have to figure that out.
You need a wiring diagram for your engine. It may not exactly match. Manufacturers often make changes midyear w/o updating the wiring diagram. All the wires, not original, will have to be traced and their purpose determined. The wire with crimped connectors are changes someone made. Either you need to learn DC circuits or get someone on the boat that does. Don't just plug in terminals.
Connecting wires to the wrong terminals can burn out gauges, cause fires, bleed your battery, or worse.
You might think about replacing the rubber parts and hoses. They get hard and crack with age.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 04:59   #6

The black box with silver base is a relay used for the glow plug circuit. The heavy brown wire leading toward the exhaust manifold probably connects to the B+ connection on the starter motor, and the brown wire on the opposite side is running to the glow plug wiring strip. ( check the photo from your other post) The two other terminals on the relay are the control terminals. One should be connected to a glow plug button or the key switch, and the other to ground.

This engine has no "run" solenoid and uses the mechanical stop lever to shut off the engine as discussed in your prior post.

It appears that there may be another small relay, shown circled above the heat exchanger, and if so that is probably a slave relay for the main starter solenoid.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 09:01   #7

Boat: ODAY 28

see if you can find a wiring diagram for your engine/boat, most show color coding for wiring. and wiring connections. most can be found on line
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 12:16   #8

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Perhaps you should refer to your engine by the Perkins model designation.
It is a Perkins Perama M25 or M30.

It is based in a Ishibaura 103-xx series block,but Perkins did all the wiring.

Here is link to workshop manual with wiring diagram. You,or some electrical friend, should be able to use the diagram to help sort the wires. Don't expect the colours to match the original Perkins wire colours if previous owners have "re-wired" it. Colour of wire does not matter but the gauge of wire sometimes does.The ga. is noted on the diagram.
Pick one circuit at a time-example tachometer- & trace it to/from both ends. Use a label,even a piece of tape, & name each wire both ends.
This will take time & patience but will save destroying components.
Do not connect a battery to the system until you are sure you have wiring correct. Good luck.

http://kb-kbh.dk/shipslib/motorer/pe...0_workshop.pdf

Cheers/ Len

Tags
electric, perkins, electrical, electrical system, cal