Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 14:46   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Electric repower for Cal 2-27

Okay I think I am actually going to do it. I have to pull out the old atomic anyway to pull out the fuel tank which has a pinhole somewhere in the bottom, so this seems like the perfect time to go forward with something I have been wanting to do for a while... go electric propulsion. The boat only cost me $2000 and I am not spending $7k on a new diesel. I am not even going to consider a used diesel, though others might. I don't want to inherit someone else's discarded problem child, and anyway I hate constantly buying and handling and running out of fuel. For me, electric seems a good fit. Not recommending it to everyone but for me, it is the obvious answer. The old raw water cooled atomic is starting to give me a bad feeling anyway.

Here is my plan so far.

ME0907 from evdrives.com $383

kellycontrollers.com kit $789 incl charger, charge and current gauges, throttle, interface, KBL48301 controller
$1172.50 so far

kellycontrollers.com kit $789 incl charger, charge and current gauges, throttle, interface, KBL48301 controller
$1172.50 so far

Inverter about $200

DC-DC converter about $200

I've Been Thunderstruck reduction gear $660 or home brew about $300 that's about $1800 so far.

4 8D Batts Interstate 270 ah 130 lb 20.75 x 9.63 x 11 $269 each, call it $300 each including core charge and sales tax, or I might go cheaper with Costco golf cart batts, $3000 so far

$200 for cable, lugs, Kelly heat sink, knife switch, other miscellaneous bits, so estimated $3200 total cost. After subtracting the weight of the old engine and fuel tank, net weight gain of about 350lbs.

Later I will have to invest a similar amount for solar and home brewed wind generator but that will be a whole new project. Temporarily I will just stay close to home and charge Batts from shore power, or carry a Honda and a can of gas.

Any comments or suggestions from those with actual experience are very welcome.
Old 09-04-2014, 15:04   #2
cruiser

Re: Electric repower for Cal 2-27

What kind of electric motor? Cruising or daysailing? I've read some electric car stuff that recommends buying a whole used forklift, striping out all the bits, controller, ect.. And then selling the weight for scrap. Economical way to get the goods for cheap. I don't think a small honda will run you at hull speed. I pondered doing it and getting a new 8 or 10kw diesel gen to push it.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 15:25   #3

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Okay I think I am actually going to do it. I have to pull out the old atomic anyway to pull out the fuel tank which has a pinhole somewhere in the bottom, so this seems like the perfect time to go forward with something I have been wanting to do for a while... go electric propulsion. The boat only cost me $2000 and I am not spending $7k on a new diesel. I am not even going to consider a used diesel, though others might. I don't want to inherit someone else's discarded problem child, and anyway I hate constantly buying and handling and running out of fuel. For me, electric seems a good fit. Not recommending it to everyone but for me, it is the obvious answer. The old raw water cooled atomic is starting to give me a bad feeling anyway.

Here is my plan so far.

ME0907 from evdrives.com $383

$1172.50 so far

$1172.50 so far

Inverter about $200

DC-DC converter about $200

I've Been Thunderstruck reduction gear $660 or home brew about $300 that's about $1800 so far.

4 8D Batts Interstate 270 ah 130 lb 20.75 x 9.63 x 11 $269 each, call it $300 each including core charge and sales tax, or I might go cheaper with Costco golf cart batts, $3000 so far

$200 for cable, lugs, Kelly heat sink, knife switch, other miscellaneous bits, so estimated $3200 total cost. After subtracting the weight of the old engine and fuel tank, net weight gain of about 350lbs.

Later I will have to invest a similar amount for solar and home brewed wind generator but that will be a whole new project. Temporarily I will just stay close to home and charge Batts from shore power, or carry a Honda and a can of gas.

Any comments or suggestions from those with actual experience are very welcome.

I think, for your purposes, this is a very positive step forward. We love the electric drive on our 2-27, and I think you will quickly fall in love with yours.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 15:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

I went pretty far down the road to convert my 39' motor sailor. Ultimately, I decided I needed a largish generator to be able to insure getting pack to shore power. The concept that I'd only need power getting into dock or marina, therefore could run on batteries wasn't workable for me. I repowered with a new Yanmar. I've attached some good technical info about hull speed vs current draw vs time for you. Understand these curves only apply to my 20,000 lb, 31' waterline boat. Minka's blog THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: Going electric: Part 1: The why and how is a good source of info. He's been running his 30' electric boat for several years with a Honda backup gen onboard. He swears by the system. Good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Performance Curves with 5kw genset.pdf (31.0 KB, 76 views)
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 18:27   #5

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Sounds good. Why would you need a gearbox? What rpm does the prop run at?
I've suggested looking at a golf cart to find a setup, has the motor and controller, and often a charger, often go cheap once the batteries need replaced.

Tags
cal, electric, repower