Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2021, 10:12   #46

Boat: Maxi87 29' sailboat
Re: Electric propulsion - lightning protection ?

Thank you for sharing, Skipper !

My conversion will be in the coming winter, I hope. Then "I'll be back"!

Now preparing all the details.
That's why it is SO good to hear from guys like you, with actual experience.

Actually I'm use to something bigger, like tanker and containership engines.
But big can be small, and I do not fear to do it at all.
I'm a mec. eng. (worked for MAN B&W and Wärtsilä) so for the electric part I have to jump on the learning curve...
carstendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 11:31   #47

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Electric propulsion - lightning protection ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Lee View Post
The chain coupler is there to allow for an uncomplicated DIY installation and for those that do not achieve 100% excellent alignment when coupling the 2 shafts together! If I had to include a shaft coupling I would certainly choose a well aligned solid coupler or rubber disc type when the time cant be afforded to get them aligned or a shaft is not true. It is also there so folks can just install it as a simple kit and not disassemble it or dream up ways to make it a better installation. In my opinion based on 40 plus years of building equipment as long as the motor is isolated, as it certainly is with the final drive belt there is nothing better than a straight shaft and a direct drive. Thus: I'll do me.

That said: My setup does depend on the shaft remaining true! I will carefully monitor the shaft and Cutless bearing regardless and will rather maintain it than listen to a very noisy chain coupler! I've installed hundreds of them and they are loud.

I love that humans have independent thought and are willing to choose their own path and live with the results as well as share their experiences so as to help others avoid the ill conceived ones when they happen.

I do appreciate your thoughts and advice and learn something everyday here, like don't coil extra wires, Thanks for that. Further I am not to proud to post here re: The complete failure of my installation should that happen. I am excited to hear you are going e-drive and hope to hear about your installation here on CF.

Best regards,
Skipperlee.
I would bet that pulley and belt transmission has a roller bearing built into the housing. Probably top and bottom. The shaft side would be like using a pillow block on the shaft.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, lightning, propulsion, rot