Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2020, 12:17   #1

Electric outboard Haswing Protruar 5.0 - battery selection

Hey everyone!

Among all the options of electric outboards, I have decided that the Haswing Protruar 5.0 (2520W, 160 lbs., 24V) is the engine of choice for our rowing boat. The problem that I have is that I do not know what (pair of) batteries I should get for the motor. Also, it would be very interesting to know how long one can cruise around in one go with different batteries at full charge. My preferred criteria are that the batteries should be somewhat movable in terms of weight but still provide a decent cruising range with a single full charge. It is very difficult to find such information and there seems not to be very much info for this specific Haswing motor. If anyone owns one, could you tell me what battery/batteries you have for it and how long you can cruise around when the batteries are fully charged? Any other help or views are also much appreciated!

Best regards
Dani
Danii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 02:55   #2

Re: Electric outboard Haswing Protruar 5.0 - battery selection

Based on no reply I will try to help you

First problem is good range and easy to move 2 battery pack are not compatable sort of like using light weight motor bike to carry tons of dirt is not compatable with light weight motor bike use

Based on spec of engine assuming the use of lead acid type batteries the mathematics could look like this on a 5 meter aluminium skiff like the you tube link below .

https://youtu.be/tMO033KCvqI

In this you tube the amps shown looks to be 109A and max speed at ~5 HP is ~ 9.5 km

The ampmeter best I can tell is using 109 Amps and speed looks to be ~ 6 km

109 amps with 24 volts makes 109*24=~2600 watts devided ~750 = ~ 3.5 HP

The battery the you tube used is lithium ion single battery 30 KGS

We can probably assume that a 24 volt A 280 amp Li ion battery at 109 amps load 3.5 hp will give back some 250 amps and not the 280 amps

We can assume that a 24 volt 280 amp Li ion battery at ~5 HP or ~3750 watts or ~ 157 amps will give back maybe ~220 amps and not the ~ 280 amps

At speed ~9 .5 kph and full speed max power 3750 watts or 157 amps or 5 hp with useful 220 amps gives a run time of 1.4 hours and range of about ~13 km

At speed ~ 6' kph and full speed max power 2600 watts or 109 amps or 3.5 hp with useful 250 amps gives a run time of 2.4 hours and range of about ~16 km

The slower we go the less the amp draw and the further the distance covered but the time to go something like ~20 kilometer might be 3.5'kilometres speed and 4.5 hour engine run time .
That's can be OK for slow trawl fishing but not good for getting out to fishing spot or to get from point A to B .

To extend the range increasing the size of lithium ion battery in this case by double to 560 amp will probably more than double the ranges at these same amp draws .

The problem for you saying two batteries suggests your going for lead acid such as deep cycle or AGM

A example is 220 lead acid with a 110 amp draw will not give 2 hours run time but probably at best give 1 hour run time to go go flat eg 11.8:volts .
Lead acids to get more than ~100 cycle life at this harsh load of ~ 50% capacity or 0.5 C means we only use 110:amps of the 220 amps capacity in the battery .
Doing a ~50% use of 220 amps battery can give some ~400 cycle life to the battery and ~1/3 rd capacity will probably give a ~ 600 cycle life.

To match the range and speed of same boat in you tube at ~6 kph at 3.5 HP with lead acid battery will probably require ~ 4 batteries of ~250 to ~ 280:amps and weight of battery ~ 100 to ~120 kg

If we used two 110 amp lead acid batteries we could expect at ~110 amp draw or 1 C rate a run time of ~10 minutes and range of ~1.5 kilometers and give a awful battery cycle life well south of ~100 cycles probably 20 cycle life
Also that is not full 5 HP power but 3.5 hp

Per kilometer replacement cost of 2 of the 110 amp lead acid batteries could make it cost more than ~ € 20 per kilometer or more than 20 times more cost than using lithium ion 280 amp solutions per kilometer or 10 times the cost of suitable pair of 580 amp lead acid solution per kilometer.

If the boat use you intend to do is only in Summer time in Finland's lakes with near 24 hour sun shine with about Six hours useful solar energy from solar panels the size of a tennis court the battery size problem could be removed from the problem.

Assuming the use of the normal ~100:amp 12 volt solar panels then ~10 of these panels could allow a reduction in size of the 2 lead acid batteries from 580 amps down to more like ~300 amps assuming it was at peak solar times around summer miday on a sunny day.

These 100 watt solar panels so far north in Finland will only supply ~65'watts at best

Most small row boats will struggle to make a solution for more than ~4 panels of 100 amps solar panels using theb panels to make a roof for rain and sun Bimini protection shelter for the boat users .

Electric power solution are best suited to small ranges in the sub 5 kilometre low power slow speeds and Lithium ion battery solutions.

Longer ranges in electric can multiply cost to be north of 5 times more than gasoline benzine petrol engine solutions

Yes in the future this will change and gasoline benzine petrol engine will be dead in ~2030 possibly as soon as 2026 but for now its huge capital cost to get interesting ranges for many electric power solutions .

Just my honest opion from my electric power experience with off grid boat uses
bouncycastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 05:39   #3

Re: Electric outboard Haswing Protruar 5.0 - battery selection

I came across this e poet engine 1000 watts 3 HP

it has tables link below using 3.5 metres inflatable dingy that shows how speed impacts range for thier ~$900 battery unit or ~$ 1100 engine battery combo

At ~35 watts speed 1 knot~ 3 kph range is 54 kilometers 28 hour engine run
Full speed 1000:watts 9.5 kph 4.9 knots engine run time 1 hour range 4.9 nautical miles or about ~9 kilometers

Go very very slow about 6 times the range than to go full speed

All electric will tend to from follow a similar power range curve to this

Basically for your boat and 5 HP engine multiply watts by factor of three or four as row boat is heavier and bigger heavier battery and less good 4 of the ~150 AGM lead acid battery of probably 24 VOLT ~300 amps PACK WEIGHT ABOUT 100 Kg

https://www.epropulsion.com/post/whe...tric-or-petrol

Hope that helps
bouncycastle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, electric, outboard, rot