Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2011, 16:40   #16

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Electric Motor for Engineless 40'

Boat that size would need to pull in and out near slack current and in almost almost dead air with a trolling motor, or even 2.

A 4hp to 8hp gas motor would give you enough thrust to counteract low to low/moderate winds on currents getting out and would push you along at 4kt maybe 5kt in flat water with a lot more range than a trolling motor.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 16:53   #17

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I would try to borrow a couple of 8HP gas outboards and jury rig them one for the bow and one on the stern. Get a buddy to help and you should be able to manouver that boat anywhere you want. A single 8hp will give you forward motion but will be hard to stop. I often use an 8hp on a 44ft 15 ton motorsailer to troll for salmon. Steerage is no hell at that speed but I handle that in another way. lol
Old 17-04-2011, 17:05   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

This has disaster written all over it.

I would be very wary of any used engine.....Have an engine survey done on them before you plunk down "boat units"
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 17:43   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

What the Chief said.

Also, don't forget that the engine itself may be just the beginning of your costs. There is also of course the shaft, the prop., engine mounts and all the wiring and piping and control cables, probably the alternator and maybe the starter. If the engine isn't surveyed then count on a high pressure pump. Water pump repair kits, heat exchanger, exhaust elbow, etc, etc. Good luck.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 19:05   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fareast, Mariner 40'

Both of the engines in the area are coming out of one boat (with all the goodies attached) and going straight in to this one (there might need to be some minor adjustments) Both are running (seen one run, the other seller offers to run it before purchase). Out here the price of lead is high enough that people are buying inexpencive sailboats just for the keel and selling off the fittings for next to nothing then chopping the hull.

I didn't know that one could get an engine survey. About what does that run?
Old 17-04-2011, 19:18   #21
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Depends on the hourly rate of the mechanic plus the cost of oil analysis
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 19:35   #22

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin

Interesting that in all of these responses I do not see one instance of 'my experience'. Everyone 'knows' that electric motors are insufficient. Everyone 'knows' that engineless sailing is no good. Can we hear someone who has experience here? This is a serious question that all of the cruising world will have to take into account in the coming years. I ope to use no engine, but have considered electric. Is there anyone out there with experience in this?
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 19:36   #23

Are you handy at all? Seeing as how it's a used engine, I wouldn't let it touch my pride and joy without a rebuild.
rowingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 19:57   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
Interesting that in all of these responses I do not see one instance of 'my experience'. Everyone 'knows' that electric motors are insufficient. Everyone 'knows' that engineless sailing is no good. Can we hear someone who has experience here? This is a serious question that all of the cruising world will have to take into account in the coming years. I ope to use no engine, but have considered electric. Is there anyone out there with experience in this?
Michael, as far as the lack of experience in powering a 40 foot yacht with a trolling motor... perhaps the reason that no one has done it is that it is so far below the required thrust that no reasonable person would waste the money on the experiment.

As far as larger electric motors go, no one doubts that they could propel this boat. The issue is battery range and means of recharging the bank, and there is ongoing discussion of these issues, but little experience.

As far as engineless sailing, the subject has been beaten to death here on CF. Has been done, can be done again, but in boats of this size and weight it does exclude some anchorages, marinas, and harbours from one's itinerary.

So, be gentle in your condemnation of the posters here, mate.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 17-04-2011, 20:08   #25

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

You could probably go with the Elco system of electric propulsion:

Electric Inboard Boat Motors | Electric Boat Motors | Motor Performance Guide

However, the cost I am sure would be at least as much as dropping in a new diesel engine. Still, it seems a good way to go if you wish something of the sort.
Old 17-04-2011, 20:52   #26

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin

Hey, Jim. Sorry if I seemed a bit harsh. I didn't mean to be. And it is true that 40' is probably a bit much for engineless sailing even for me. A really good sailing hull needs very little power to make it go for short distances, and given the future [if any] of gas/diesel engines, we really need to figure these issues out. My current 34' schooner is without engine of any kind, which precludes me from most marinas. I might like to winter in one from time to time, and have considered some kind of electric power to accomodate the actuaries. Thus my request for experience.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 03:33   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
Hey, Jim. Sorry if I seemed a bit harsh. I didn't mean to be. And it is true that 40' is probably a bit much for engineless sailing even for me. A really good sailing hull needs very little power to make it go for short distances, and given the future [if any] of gas/diesel engines, we really need to figure these issues out. My current 34' schooner is without engine of any kind, which precludes me from most marinas. I might like to winter in one from time to time, and have considered some kind of electric power to accomodate the actuaries. Thus my request for experience.
I know of 1 boat (48') that went to a full electric with generator charging. He was still burning diesel to get volts. The boat moved to the coast and last I heard has repowered with a diesel main engine.

The future of engines and fuel is cemented. The worlds economy can not function without them. The efficiency of a small diesel auxiliary in a sailing hull. In cost vs time run far out performs any currently available electric system.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 03:54   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
Is there anyone out there with experience in this?
If you look in the Multihull section you'll find extensive electric propulsion discussions. The amount of power required, the ability to store a lot of power, and the ability to recharge the battery all add up the the issues of making a reliable electric powered boat. The conversion of energy from fossil fuel to electricity still makes the same horsepower at perfect efficiency.

For a small day sailer that goes in and out of the slip an in board electric engine and a shore power charger could be efficient but it's not really cheap.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric motor, motor