Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 05:15   #1

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash
Electric Fuel Pump for Yanmar 3 Cylinder?

I am wondering if I can add an electric fuel pump to my 39 HP 3 cyl yanmar. If so, is the pressure automaticly regulated or do I need to add a regulator? Are diesel pumps the same as pumps for gasoline? I am asking this as a safety issue. In case my filter plugs when I am in a situation and absolutely need the engine and a little more pressure might keep the engine running long enough to get me out of that situation.
Thanks
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:58   #2

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
The same pump for gas or diesel, they are pressure limiterd so a regulator is not needed, wire to ignition circuit - but - pump should be on the engine side of the filter so it may not help for your stated purpose. How about a second ffilter on a manifold? Racor makes one - allows you to switch to spare filter while the engine is running, has a vacuum guage to tell you when filter is going bad. Expensive but works.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric pump, fuel, fuel pump, yanmar