Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2020, 09:30   #1
Wanni II

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Newport MkII 28'
Electric engine stop for a Universal 5416

Have a older 1985 Universal 5416 and am looking to install a electric kill switch to replace the original cable pull. Does any one have any idea which would be best. The cable "choke cable" style is just sloppy and I just want to flip a switch to stop the engine. The boat is a Newport 28 mkii. Thanks

Wani II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 13:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Electric engine stop for a Universal 5416

Any straight pull solenoid that will fit will perform the function of the stop cable. You may have to make a bracket. Solenoid shown is Cummings. When off the solenoid allows full stop lever movement. When energized it pulls the lever to the stop position. They're usually 3 wire. Ground, pull and hold. It takes more amps to pull than hold. In applications that require a long hold, the hold coil, using less amps, keeps the solenoid from overheating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummings Stop Solenoid.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	211209  

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 14:24   #3

Boat: Heritage 35

You might want to re think that? I have a Beta 30 that had an electric solenoid shut off. It went bad. First by no shutting off the engine intermittently. Then not at all. replaced it with a manual choke cable shut off. Then after about a year. the dam think worked and shut down the engine and no way to restart. Finally had to take it out of the engine. Break off the operating rod and reinstall the solenoid to stop oil dripping. The choke cable mechanical shut off is fool proof and doesn't need power to operate. It took me a week to figure it out paying Marina fees because I couldn't move.
Kalinka1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 14:29   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

If by sloppy you mean it's loose you can adjust the Morse cable at the engine to tighten it up.

Personally I'm in favor of simplicity where I can have it on a boat and this is certainly one area where I'm in favor of it. One less electrical item to go bad.
Old 24-03-2020, 15:20   #5

Seriously, reconsider.

If you have having problems with the cable, it will be hugely better to fix those than it will be to add an electric stop. The cable stops always work. I know of many, many boats that have happily replaced a broken solenoid with a cable, and none that have gone the other way.

If you don't have the mechanical chops to make the cable "unsloppy" you likely will not do a good job at designing and building a custom solenoid install.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 11:13   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wani II View Post
Have a older 1985 Universal 5416 and am looking to install a electric kill switch to replace the original cable pull. Does any one have any idea which would be best. The cable "choke cable" style is just sloppy and I just want to flip a switch to stop the engine. The boat is a Newport 28 mkii. Thanks
Stay with what you have. I'd guess and NO solenoid valve would work but if power fails ?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:09   #7
Wanni II

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, as soon as I can I think I will just replace the cable with a new one, again, and see about repositioning the handle. Right now it travels about 7' and has about three bends in it as it goes over the engine. Believe I can mount a new one to the wheel pedestal, that would only require a 5' with one 90 bend. Thanks everyone
Old 26-03-2020, 10:27   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wani II View Post
Thanks, as soon as I can I think I will just replace the cable with a new one, again, and see about repositioning the handle. Right now it travels about 7' and has about three bends in it as it goes over the engine. Believe I can mount a new one to the wheel pedestal, that would only require a 5' with one 90 bend. Thanks everyone
I wouldn't go 90 degrees, maybe two 45s and a bit more cable. Cable length isn't as much a problem as bends a longer cable and a slow arc would be my preference.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:56   #9
Wanni II

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great I will see what I can do about not using a 90. Will have to wait until I can get back to the boat...sometime next month...fingers crossed.

Tags
electric, engine