Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2019, 16:02   #1

Boat: Roberts 25
Post Does Volvo MD5B Have and Engine Annode

Hi All
I hope this is not too silly a question. Can anyone tell me whether the Volvo MD5B has an engine anode?

I am planning to try a de-scale on my 30 year old MD5 B as part of the process for an ongoing cooling issue - without damaging it. I have had the boat for 4 years and still getting to understand the engine, and trying to look after it to the best of my knowledge.

I've read posts about de-scaling and the need to remove it (and thermostat if de-scaling with an acid based product; I could not see any reference to it in online manuals for this engine - but if it has one it is one more thing I know about and can maintain in future. Many thanks.

Old 25-12-2019, 16:13   #2
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Does Volvo MD5B Have and Engine Annode

I expect it will have and these people sell them

https://ambossaustralia.com.au/categ...2001-2002-2003

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 17:53   #3

Thank you - I should have asked can anyone guide me as to where it is on the engine? - hard to see with a tight space
Old 25-12-2019, 20:38   #4

There is no mention of an anode in the owners manual (instruction book), the parts book, or the workshop manual, so I think it's a fair bet that there are none.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 01:46   #5
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
There is no mention of an anode in the owners manual (instruction book), the parts book, or the workshop manual, so I think it's a fair bet that there are none.

DougR
That seems fairly definitive!

It looks like the anode I referenced earlier is part of a kit should the MD5B be converted to fresh water cooling.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/volvo-...node-kit-15300

Quote This engine anode is for use with heat exchangers and is supplied complete with a threaded plug. The anode is 19mm long and has a 1/4" thread. It is suitable for the following Volvo Penta marine engine models with Martec and Sendure fresh water cooling:

MD2A, MD2B, MD3B, MD5A, MD5B, MD5C, MD6A, MD6B, MD7A, MD7B, MD11C, MD11D, MD17C, MD17D, 2001, 2002 and 2003.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 02:01   #6

Ah Thank you!
That would explain why I read references to an anode in other forums and part catalogues but as Doug R says - nothing in the manual. Good investigating. Thanks again.
Old 26-12-2019, 12:43   #7

While we're here, My Perkins M90 does not have anodes in either the engine or the heat-exchanger. I read a fair debate on the issue a few years back and I recall deciding to stay with the manufacturers existing set-up, no anodes. so far, so good..as far as I know.
I am servicing the cooling system early in the new year (routinely), and was thinking of adding an anode to the heat exchanger. This can't do harm, and is routinely done, right...?!
Or, when taking it all apart, and all is still well, stay with what those clever Perkins people did in the first place?....Grateful for any opinion. Is this too far off-piste?

PaulvR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, volvo