Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2021, 20:57   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 705
Display coolant temp Volvo D2-50F

Hi all,
Is there a reasonable priced solution to display coolant temp on a Volvo D2-50F.
The MDI data seems to include that and a coolant sensor is build in too but I cannot display it anywhere.
Option 1: Volvo easy connect interface cost 510 Euro, 2 engines so 1020 for coolant temp…no
Option 2: yacht devices nmea to edc interface, works but is 190, 2 engines 380Euro…well still too expensive for just coolant temp.

Does anybody know what oil temp sensor fits and what display works with it.
Thank you
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:29   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: UK
Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 37 2016
Posts: 4
Re: Display coolant temp Volvo D2-50F

I have just done this job on a Volvo D1-30
I purchased a temperature gauge (Kus) and sensor replacement with overheat alarm.
However I did find that connecting the Kus gauge to the original sensor gave me the correct reading for temperature.
Wizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:22   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 44,803
Images: 241
Re: Display coolant temp Volvo D2-50F

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Wizo.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:49   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 705
Re: Display coolant temp Volvo D2-50F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizo View Post
I have just done this job on a Volvo D1-30
I purchased a temperature gauge (Kus) and sensor replacement with overheat alarm.
However I did find that connecting the Kus gauge to the original sensor gave me the correct reading for temperature.
Thank you
On the D1 its easy as coolant temp is not part of the MDI bus but onthe D2-50F it is.
So which sensor can l use to get temp displayed and MDI doesn't complain?
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:05   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: UK
Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 37 2016
Posts: 4
Re: Display coolant temp Volvo D2-50F

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Wizo.
Thank you for the welcome.
Wizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:18   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: UK
Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 37 2016
Posts: 4
Re: Display coolant temp Volvo D2-50F

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Thank you
On the D1 its easy as coolant temp is not part of the MDI bus but onthe D2-50F it is.
So which sensor can l use to get temp displayed and MDI doesn't complain?
The MDI unit just monitors the temperature and if it goes out of range for more than 10-20 secs it will sound the alarm and put a graphic on the lcd display on the tacho. There is nothing in the programming of the MDI to allow temperature display.

There are all sorts of electronic gadgets out there for putting all your engine data and water tanks etc. on the chart plotter but they are not cheap, and some require an awful lot of setting up and jigging.

I was just pointing out a cheap and reliable method for getting the information you want.
Wizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:34   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 705
Re: Display coolant temp Volvo D2-50F

Or are there some blank threaded opening which i can use with a standard water and oil temp (or better oil temp+pressure sensor)?
What thread size do they have and where do i find them on the engine?
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:38   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 705
Re: Display coolant temp Volvo D2-50F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizo View Post
The MDI unit just monitors the temperature and if it goes out of range for more than 10-20 secs it will sound the alarm and put a graphic on the lcd display on the tacho. There is nothing in the programming of the MDI to allow temperature display.

There are all sorts of electronic gadgets out there for putting all your engine data and water tanks etc. on the chart plotter but they are not cheap, and some require an awful lot of setting up and jigging.

I was just pointing out a cheap and reliable method for getting the information you want.
Thank you, yes i know and don't need them as the mdi doesn't put out anything useful...
On d2 the the watertemp is shown in mdi, on d1 not.
So you unpluged the sensor from the MDI and connected it directly to the Kus?

What I know D1-30 has just a threaded and blanked off opening next to the original sensor so you can just screw in a standard 20Euro sensor next to original and connect that to your Kus or whatever you wanna use. Thats what i am looking for.
I don't have that, maybe some other location?
Should be there as you can get extra sensor for the MDI but where are they on the engine? That's where i can also put a standard sensor...
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 15:50   #9
Registered User
 
CarinaPDX's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Posts: 3,017
Re: Display coolant temp Volvo D2-50F

I don't understand this discussion. The D2 series uses an instrument bus from the MDI to the (EVC) tach with display, and can be daisy-chained from there with a 3-conductor pigtail on the tach. Add-on instruments have a male and a female 3-pin connector so can be added on to the previous instrument. One of those optional instruments is a coolant temperature display, from 40F to 200F. So why not just buy an EVC temperature display and add it to the tach? Am I missing something or do you just like doing things the hard way?

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 16:49   #10
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston, TX
Boat: Catana 471
Posts: 212
Re: Display coolant temp Volvo D2-50F

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I don't understand this discussion. The D2 series uses an instrument bus from the MDI to the (EVC) tach with display, and can be daisy-chained from there with a 3-conductor pigtail on the tach. Add-on instruments have a male and a female 3-pin connector so can be added on to the previous instrument. One of those optional instruments is a coolant temperature display, from 40F to 200F. So why not just buy an EVC temperature display and add it to the tach? Am I missing something or do you just like doing things the hard way?

Greg
Greg is exactly right. Were installing new D2-50Fs next week, and purchased optional Volvo EVC temp gauges to be installed alongside the standard EVC tachometer. The temp gauge simply daisy-chains off of the tach using a short (included) cable. I have the hardware sitting in my salon at the moment, and can send you the part number when I get back to the boat tomorrow.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 20:10   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 705
Re: Display coolant temp Volvo D2-50F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetx View Post
Greg is exactly right. We’re installing new D2-50F’s next week, and purchased optional Volvo EVC temp gauges to be installed alongside the standard EVC tachometer. The temp gauge simply daisy-chains off of the tach using a short (included) cable. I have the hardware sitting in my salon at the moment, and can send you the part number when I get back to the boat tomorrow.
Didn't know they exist... Well its Volvo so lets see how much they cost. Assume not under 150Euro...
The part numbers would be welcomed
Are there EVC sensors for oil temp and pressure available from volvo for the d2-50F too? I know only a warn sensor for oil pressure is fitted.
If yes then the yacht devices dongle volvo to nmea would make sense too.


From KUS a temp gauge is 25 Euro and the sensor is 14 Euro. Running a cable from engine to helm is easy on my cat and I install a 2nd autopilot and Lithum battery anyway, so need to root some cables there anyway. Just need to know if there is a blanked of threaded opening to install a 2nd sensor. And if yes what thread size does it have. Not really hard way but much cheaper way.

And i wanna have oil temp and pressure too, no sensor on the engine anyhow, so need to retrofit that too. On d1-30 i would know where they are located but not on d2-50f...
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 21:28   #12
Registered User
 
CarinaPDX's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Posts: 3,017
Re: Display coolant temp Volvo D2-50F

In addition to coolant temperature there is voltage, fuel gauge, and an error indicator (with 6 or 7 idiot lights IIRC, so don't have to read the small LCD display in the tach). There is no oil pressure gauge: IIRC there is an oil pressure switch on the engine so no raw data. (I suppose you could add a pressure sender with a tee off the pressure switch, and a generic pressure gauge.) The instruments are available in black and white so order the matching ones. See: https://www.powerproductsystems.com/.../30/21457.html

Greg

Edit: example of temp gauge: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264810688260 You still need to order the bezel separately.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:09   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 705
Re: Display coolant temp Volvo D2-50F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetx View Post
Greg is exactly right. We’re installing new D2-50F’s next week, and purchased optional Volvo EVC temp gauges to be installed alongside the standard EVC tachometer. The temp gauge simply daisy-chains off of the tach using a short (included) cable. I have the hardware sitting in my salon at the moment, and can send you the part number when I get back to the boat tomorrow.
Thanks, I would have chosen Beta instead of Volvo but I bought the cat with the new Volvo engines+saildrives+ exhaust+…basically both engine rooms are new

Thanks Greg for the link and prices…the usual Volvo pharmacy
Just look at those ridiculous prices for the temp gauge…162$ + another 163 for 1,5m cable if you wanna mount it somewhere else then next to the instrument panel which is in the foot room mounted on my cat. And that’s just for 1 engine
A Kus temp gauge cost 25Euro, the sensor 14 Euro=39Euro+Max. 20 Euro cable…just need the Location where I can mount the sensor

Plug&pray solution for 189$ For all available engine data at once:
https://www.yachtd.com/products/engine_gateway.html

Just daisy chain in and you have all available D2-engine data and on nmea and on your chartplotter with proper warnings. I additionally have their NMEA to wifi dongle already installed and so all NMEA data is on the boat WiFi readly available for e.g. all iPads
Have 3iPads, 2x Mini and 1 ipad2 fixed installed at the salon Nav station. Ipad2 is mirrored/remotely connected permanently with the Raymarine chartplotter on the helm/in parallel ISailor installed which can remotely control the autopilot too, the 1st mini shows all sailing relevant nmea data on gauges and the 2nd mini monitors my Electrodacus BMS of my LifePo4 house/in parallel the Victron BT Network to monitor all Victron stuff. You can get the iPad mini used for 50-100Euro on eBay or local platform. Is a perfect smart display on the always shaded nav station in the salon. All have ISailor and Navionics installed and connected to a 10Hz Garmin Glo2 BT gps puck as backup chartplotter and Nav device.
No drilling holes and installing another gauge on the already crowded helm station.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:42   #14
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Croatia
Boat: bavaria 38
Posts: 725
Re: Display coolant temp Volvo D2-50F

you need
KUS Water Temp. Temperature Sensor Sender M18*1.5 Thread for Water Temp Gauge
KUS Digital Water Temp Temperature Gauge Meter
or
KUS 52mm Water Temperature Gauge
Simple in front engine wher is thermostat have 1 bolt remove bolt and screw
Temperature Sensor Sender M18*1.5 1 wire to gauge
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:51   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 705
Re: Display coolant temp Volvo D2-50F

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
you need
KUS Water Temp. Temperature Sensor Sender M18*1.5 Thread for Water Temp Gauge
KUS Digital Water Temp Temperature Gauge Meter
or
KUS 52mm Water Temperature Gauge
Simple in front engine wher is thermostat have 1 bolt remove bolt and screw
Temperature Sensor Sender M18*1.5 1 wire to gauge
Perfect thats what I needed.

Do you know if I can add oil temp and pressure like this too?
Should be M18*1.5 too for the sensor but are there mounting holes additional available to the Volvo Oli pressure switch?
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coolant, volvo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Wanted: Skipper wanted for Ketch 50f > Jan to March 2018 East Africa Ahooi Crew Positions: Wanted & Available 33 17-10-2017 11:07
For Sale: Garmin NMEA 2k/Nexus Speed/Temp & Depth/Temp Transducers Albicelesail General Classifieds (no boats) 3 16-04-2017 11:42
Westerbeke 46 Temp Sender vs. Temp Switch zboss Engines and Propulsion Systems 8 29-10-2013 21:11
44-50f with master bedroom aft. Price up to 270 000$ freetime Monohull Sailboats 7 02-09-2013 05:59
Operating Temp Coolant v Metal fishingaz Powered Boats 7 12-02-2012 04:24

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.