Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2012, 12:16   #31

Boat: mt34dt
Re: Dinghy Engine

I'm with the dual engine crowd. The new 2.5 Suzuki 4 stroke is only $700 and would be great for putting around the harbor. Then a 15 hp 2 stroke for when you want or need to cover a lot of ground quickly. BTW if you do not like the 2 stroke, it will sell in a matter of hours in the states. Another plus for the 2 stroke is anyone on the globe can work on them.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 14:24   #32

The two-stroke bashing here is unwarranted. Oily sheen? Maybe in a 50's vintage mixed at 20:1 and in bad repair!

Tohatsu 8.0 and 9.8 share the same block: 58 lbs. Yamaha 9.8 and 15 share the same blocks: 79 lbs. New Yamaha 15 2-strokes are still available in the states if you look hard enough. The others are available used, and will run forever if maintained well.

My 10-year-old Tohatsu runs as quietly and cleanly an any 4-stroke, has more torque, is much lighter, and far easier to maintain. For me, it was an easy choice.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 16:52   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke Zambella View Post
I have a similar problem.
We have to decide if it's a dinghy or a motor boat.
You just don't get two in one wrapper.

On our 8' inflatable,

We have a 2 cycle 3.5 HP Nissan. No transmission (forward only).
Weighs 12.5 lbs dry (less than a case of beer). Cranks out some pretty
fine power.

We also have an 8 HP Merc 2 cycle. Yahoo !!! it really wails but it
also weighs 80+ lbs. A bit much for my liking to lift in rockin seas.

What to do???
It's very much about lifestyle. Do you just want to get ashore nearby?or are you an explorer, snorkeler, hunter? For the latter You need a 10 ft RIB and 10-15 hp. (9ft and 10 will work) Your dingy setup is one of your most important cruising tools. I have taken mine 5 miles or more exploring, fishing etc. I have used it to move the mothership when engine was out of commission. I have had an 8 ft dink and 2 hp outboard before.... very limiting... but it depends on you I guess... Both would be nice for when you need to get to town but dont plan on staying long.. throw the 2hp on and go. No fuel tank etc...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 20:30   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's very much about lifestyle. Do you just want to get ashore nearby?or are you an explorer, snorkeler, hunter? For the latter You need a 10 ft RIB and 10-15 hp. (9ft and 10 will work) Your dingy setup is one of your most important cruising tools. I have taken mine 5 miles or more exploring, fishing etc. I have used it to move the mothership when engine was out of commission. I have had an 8 ft dink and 2 hp outboard before.... very limiting... but it depends on you I guess... Both would be nice for when you need to get to town but dont plan on staying long.. throw the 2hp on and go. No fuel tank etc...
G'Day all,

Cheechako (sp?) has it exactly right! Until you have spent a few years living on the hook whilst cruising you will not understand what a difference having a large and competent dinghy makes. It is true that you don't HAVE to have such a thing, but it will improve your experience, your enjoyment of new places and your safety. Having a small stand-by motor sure doesn't hurt, but again isn't really necessary. Handling a 15 isn't difficult if you use your main halyard to do the lifting. Ann and I have done so for the past 25 years without problems, and without any additional gear beyond what was on the boat for sailing.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 30-03-2012, 21:21   #35

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Blue View Post
I have never heard of an insurance company giving a discount for a non-gasoline dinghy motor. I pay a tad more per year for a dinghy but have never been asked what type of fuel it uses.
I am sure they assume gasoline would be stored on board and the rates quoted would reflect that.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 08:18   #36

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have a Tohatsu 6hp, 4 stroke on my 8' livingston. I can lift it onto my shoulder and walk around with it and the dink planes scarey fast. I feel too much attention is placed on big, fast and expensive rigs to go a 1/2 mile to shore.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 09:23   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have a Tohatsu 6hp, 4 stroke on my 8' livingston. I can lift it onto my shoulder and walk around with it and the dink planes scarey fast. I feel too much attention is placed on big, fast and expensive rigs to go a 1/2 mile to shore.

100% right if that's your only use. Get a 3 HP and save the hassle. But my last mooring was over a mile from the dinghy dock and I was commuting to work every day. Plus when I'm cruising my dink is access to diving, exploring and other long range activities. The ability to plane with a load and a couple of people I would not say essential but greatly extends your range and shortens the trip.

Another benefit, in a light chop if you can get on plane you will usually have a much drier ride than you get going slow with the bow plowing through the waves.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 09:29   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
100% right if that's your only use. Get a 3 HP and save the hassle. But my last mooring was over a mile from the dinghy dock and I was commuting to work every day. Plus when I'm cruising my dink is access to diving, exploring and other long range activities. The ability to plane with a load and a couple of people I would not say essential but greatly extends your range and shortens the trip.

Another benefit, in a light chop if you can get on plane you will usually have a much drier ride than you get going slow with the bow plowing through the waves.
I agree...being a minimalist I wanted the least for the most. My 8' Livingston will plane with 2 if the combined weight is under 350lbs. As a second tender is a kayak, so the crew is never abandoned. To invest $5K in a dinghy set-up and have it stolen later would be a hard pill to swallow for me.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 31-03-2012, 09:47   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I agree...being a minimalist I wanted the least for the most. My 8' Livingston will plane with 2 if the combined weight is under 350lbs.
Good motivation to keep in shape.

Quote:
As a second tender is a kayak, so the crew is never abandoned.
Really like that idea but where do you put it? I've been cruising before with stuff strapped on deck like bikes or dive gear and such that would not fit below. Decided I don't want to do that if it can be avoided. Maybe an inflatable kayak but not sure if they do the job.

Quote:
To invest $5K in a dinghy set-up and have it stolen later would be a hard pill to swallow for me.
No kidding. That's why I'm exploring all the latest in security features but at the end of the day, a determined thief will get it if they want it bad enough. Thinking about the beat up look to make mine less desirable.
Old 31-03-2012, 10:15   #40

Boat: PETERSON 44
While I'm out pissing people off. I bagged the inflatable. Built a chameleon nestin dink. I row . The 2 stroke yamaha is dead weight on the rails. The damn Nissan is at home. Found that if I didn't use these all the time it was a pain in the ass. Routine was launch dink get out board bolt on try to start take carb off dissemble soak in mek flush assemble pull pull pull. Motor out put engine on rail put tank away etc.... Now I launch dink and row. Cruised long island sound last year the yamagotchyou never left it's bracket. Rowed everywhere. I keep the yamaha in case I want to got putting up some back channel. Or have a desire to work on a outboard Sometimes the distance rowed was a tad long but hey I'm cruising and no rush mon.seen a couple spend hours trying to get the outboard working so they could get to the mooring. I often rowed that damn inflatable with the outboard attached. It sat useless on the transom like some loaf without purpose. I would get to the mooring and secure if to the rail my quadriplegic friend along for a ride. Cut a nice skulking notch in the transom and often just use one oar.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 10:53   #41

Quote:
Good motivation to keep in shape.

Really like that idea but where do you put it? I've been cruising before with stuff strapped on deck like bikes or dive gear and such that would not fit below. Decided I don't want to do that if it can be avoided. Maybe an inflatable kayak but not sure if they do the job.

No kidding. That's why I'm exploring all the latest in security features but at the end of the day, a determined thief will get it if they want it bad enough. Thinking about the beat up look to make mine less desirable.

The other option is a Portabote. They fold to 4" and can be stored along the stations and are so ugly, no one wants to steal them.
You're right about deck clutter. Having a small center-cockpit, I have limited deck space because it is broken up into 2 small decks. If I didn't love rowing the way I do, I would definitely have an inflatable. But for me, there is nothing more relaxing and meditative than a row at sunrise while everyone else in the anchorage is sleeping it off...
Old 31-03-2012, 15:04   #42
Marine Service Provider

I've got a 42kg 3 metre zodiac copy inflatable. It has a mercury 8 and is rated to 12 HP.

It planes with 2 people but in anything other that flat water unless you are sitting well forward it struggles to get on the plane but when it does it goes like a rocket a 35 kph.

It is essentially not big enough to safely get from the boat to shore in anything rough.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 15:10   #43
Marine Service Provider

PS: this is my dinghy set up compete with Dinghy wheelers.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ler-76441.html

3.0 metre boat Aus$550
Dinghy Wheelers Aus$75
Mercury 8, 2-stroke Aus$1850
Inf life jackets, flares, anchor, rope and extinguisher $220
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 15:17   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The other option is a Portabote. They fold to 4" and can be stored along the stations and are so ugly, no one wants to steal them.
You're right about deck clutter. Having a small center-cockpit, I have limited deck space because it is broken up into 2 small decks. If I didn't love rowing the way I do, I would definitely have an inflatable. But for me, there is nothing more relaxing and meditative than a row at sunrise while everyone else in the anchorage is sleeping it off...
If I had a place to put it I would have a 12-14' hard shell, dory style rowing dinghy, maybe a sail rig for it. If I got really crazy, wood, lapstrake planked, all varnish.
Old 31-03-2012, 15:30   #45

Boat: too many

Quote:
If I had a place to put it I would have a 12-14' hard shell, dory style rowing dinghy, maybe a sail rig for it. If I got really crazy, wood, lapstrake planked, all varnish.
On the sail rig aspect, Laura, our world famous teenage sailor has two dinghies to chose from, one with sails, the other with motor or oars.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, engine