Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2022, 09:43   #1

Diesels/Perkins exhaust valve rotator options?

Thanks again for the helpful forum and Ive gotten the critical details from TAD (Transatlantic Diesels) in fittting the after-market starters and generally restoring my old 4.108. And although it runs great I found an exhaust valve leak on #1 and pulled the head and lapped the valves on the first three cylinders. # 4 is perfect and needs no work.

But years ago in mech school I learned that engines have valve rotator mechanisms to turn each valve with engine operation but Perkins clearly doesnt have this, and if it did, it would be a great improvement. The engines run cool and so they dont need exotic systems and theyre relatively low RPM. But still it seems like a great modification would be a simple valve rotator mechanism similar to what many other engine designs employ to prevent uneven wear and leaking, especially in the exhaust valves where I found my slight leak just causing a low RMP miss and a lot of oily carbon, but I look forward to having this corrected after 600 hours of operating this way.

And after having it all apart now also planning very regular de-carbonizing routine, and/or finding the cleanest burning fuel possible. Maybe a kerosene/biodiesel blend.

Thanks again for any engine guru insights! I know there are some VERY knowledgeable motor-heads out there.
doog is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, exhaust, perkins, rot