Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2015, 02:19   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Diesel Tank Cleaning and Additives

Great posting and very useful -- could you share some pics of your filtering system - I am not the brightest bulb in the closet and need all the help I can get

we had a contaminated tank and got it cleaned by EuroMarine in Dubrovnik Croatia and they suggested Wurth Diesel Stabilisator and it worked great. We used it the past 2 years and no issues - only problem we can not find a source now -
so I got Star-Thon so hope it works -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 20:21   #17

Boat: 33 Morgan Out Island

Hello,
Brewman here with a new to me 1976, 33 Morgan with a 50 stainless steel tank.
From day one when the boat is motoring in any kind of seas, the 50 horse Perkins dies.
The long and the short of it is the previous owner didn't know maintenance as far as the fuel tank and doesn't know much except he had the fuel"pollished" once. This tank looks great on the outside but other than that, here's how I got the fuel flowing again.
Down in the stern I removed the intake line to the Racor and blew back on it, goes great with a beer, what doesn't, and freed whatever was blocking whatever there is for a pick up tube/ filter assembly inside the tank. That assembly doesn't appear to be able to removed from tank without pulling the tank.
Go out in any seas and" repeat process". Go out when it's like a lake, no problems. Running off of an auxiliary tank now.
Best course of action?
Running out of wind and beer, thanks,
The Brewman
Brewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 13:00   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Welcome aboard Mr Brewman, interesting first post! You have described an age old problem where past design issues have landed in your lap.

Best course of action is of course, to pull the tank and rectify the design problem - ie not being able to clean and drain the tank regularly.

While this is clearly not the easiest course, it remains the best course! Anything less becomes a comprise and as such, you have to decide on much you wish to comprise. The PO got rid of the problem by selling it on .

Sorry I can't offer a magic bullet
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 13:30   #19

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
Hello,
From day one when the boat is motoring in any kind of seas, the 50 horse Perkins dies.
The long and the short of it is the previous owner didn't know maintenance as far as the fuel tank and doesn't know much except he had the fuel"pollished" once. This tank looks great on the outside but other than that, here's how I got the fuel flowing again.
Down in the stern I removed the intake line to the Racor and blew back on it, goes great with a beer, what doesn't, and freed whatever was blocking whatever there is for a pick up tube/ filter assembly inside the tank. That assembly doesn't appear to be able to removed from tank without pulling the tank.
Go out in any seas and" repeat process". Go out when it's like a lake, no problems. Running off of an auxiliary tank now.
Best course of action?
The Brewman
I had a similar problem and fir me it wasn't possible due to the size, shape and location of the tank to physically clean the tank. So what I did was added a double dose of Fuel Right. I added my own fuel polishing system by adding a $100 12v pump and a separate filter which is easy to replace filters. Then I ran the fuel for 12 hours through this extra filter. That's it. Has worked so far for about 18 months.

And this year, I have just moved my fuel pick up back into the deepest part of the tank so that I am cleaning fuel from the deepest part of the tank. That way there is no where in The tank that crud can accumulate.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 17:45   #20

Thanks Rustic and Wotname regarding 33 Morgan with God knows what in the tank. For all I know there's some Tamsnian devils dancing around the pick up tube and filter in the tank.
I like the basic idea of pulling the tank, if it will come. It's a tight fit coming out but once out, what's the procedure? Had a couple people tell me to cut an access hole in the top of tank, clean it out- how?. Some said pressure wash it and roll around a gallon of acetone and let dry. Will that eat up whatever finish is on the inside of stainless steel tank if any? Fit a top with a new piece of stainless larger than new access hole and a gasket to seal old to new. Outside of tank looks in real good shape

Hey Rustic,
Was your 12 v pump and filtering system in the tank or out?
Would really like to know about filter system and avoid pulling tank.' Trying to figure out your setup, but it's cutting into my drinking time!
Wasser Brewman
Old 19-12-2015, 03:27   #21
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Thanks Rustic and Wotname regarding 33 Morgan with God knows what in the tank. For all I know there's some Tamsnian devils dancing around the pick up tube and filter in the tank.
I like the basic idea of pulling the tank, if it will come. It's a tight fit coming out but once out, what's the procedure? Had a couple people tell me to cut an access hole in the top of tank, clean it out- how?. Some said pressure wash it and roll around a gallon of acetone and let dry. Will that eat up whatever finish is on the inside of stainless steel tank if any? Fit a top with a new piece of stainless larger than new access hole and a gasket to seal old to new. Outside of tank looks in real good shape

Hey Rustic,
Would really like to know about filter system and avoid pulling tank.' Trying to figure out your setup, but it's cutting into my drinking time!
Wasser Brewman
There is no need to worry about any coating on the inside of your SS tank because it shouldn't have any! Any coating that is there will be the remains of bugs growing there and you will want to get rid of that. The inside should be bare SS.

From your description, you have crud in there that is bigger than the size of the pickup tube so unless you can break the crud down into smaller pieces, you will have to make a bigger opening. By the way, I don't know of any way to break the crud down without getting access to inside the tank. It should be possible to put an access hole / plate into the tank or at least fit a much bigger pickup tube. Depending of the size and location, it maybe possible to fit a drain point at the bottom of the tank.

Or keep using your aux tank more beer time / money that way : biggrin:
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 03:41   #22

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:

Hey Rustic,
Wasser Brewman
My pump and filters are all external. I used two Rayco 500's because they are so easy to change the filters. My tank is steel and built into the keel with three walls of baffles. I highly recommend Fuel Right to break down the crud. Have a look at the pictures.

Now, if you can, definitely cut a hole in your tank and install and inspection cover. I would have a bigger hatch cover if I could.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 04:18   #23

Boat: Freeward 25

I've just done something similar except i pulled out my tank in the end emptied it and drilled a hole and got out what there was and welded it back again......if you can't flush out the dirty by emptying it the best course of action is to always keep it full as the dirt tends to come out last...
Ed
thedude0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 04:57   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Hello,
Best course of action?
The Brewman
Heya Brewman!

Welcome to CF bud !

Age old problem with lots of info available... Had the same thing with my Morgan... Well... and lotsa other boats too...

If your tank is athwart just ahead of the ruddershaft, it should come out... I pulled mine 8ish years ago... It is a bear of a wrestling match as my height dimension is just a wee smaller than the laz opening width... Do some measuring with a tape before you start pulling... Mine from memory is about 14"hx18"x30-36"w, around 40g

If I had to do it all over again. I'd put another inspection plate in it, but I cleaned mine without doing so... Pressure washer in the sender hole and fill fitting... There's lots of baffling in there, so it takes some time...

Once this is done you won't have any more problems if you keep on your fuel treatment and polishing... If anybody tells you that you can get all of the crud out of a tank without physically i.e. scrubbing, pressure washing... They are mistaken...

Good luck!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 05:34   #25

Tanks all, I mean thanks.

After carefully considering all advice, I think I'll put up some sails.

Seriously, I'm pulling the tank and cleaning it etc. after first of the year. Am really tempted to add a drain. Some kind of petcock. Have
enough room in this old Morgan/ in good shape/ don't want to talk bad about me new boat, under the tank.
Was there some kind of general safety rule in the designs of these tanks, that are suspended above the keel, that precluded manufacturers from putting a drain in the bottom? To simple?
Does Fuel Right help with the algae, or the sludge? Or both? I don't know if the Florida weather, IE. hot and humid adds to the algae problem in these diesel tanks, but I sure hear a lot about it at the dock. While hanging around sipping suds.
Brewman

All right, since everyone adds a little something at the end, here's an Irish toast, " May you never forget what is worth remembering,
or remember what is best forgotten."
Old 19-12-2015, 06:09   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Tanks all, I mean thanks.

After carefully considering all advice, I think I'll put up some sails.

Seriously, I'm pulling the tank and cleaning it etc. after first of the year. Am really tempted to add a drain. Some kind of petcock. Have
enough room in this old Morgan/ in good shape/ don't want to talk bad about me new boat, under the tank.
Was there some kind of general safety rule in the designs of these tanks, that are suspended above the keel, that precluded manufacturers from putting a drain in the bottom? To simple?
Does Fuel Right help with the algae, or the sludge? Or both? I don't know if the Florida weather, IE. hot and humid adds to the algae problem in these diesel tanks, but I sure hear a lot about it at the dock. While hanging around sipping suds.
Brewman

All right, since everyone adds a little something at the end, here's an Irish toast, " May you never forget what is worth remembering,
or remember what is best forgotten."
Rare is the petcock on a marine fuel tank... Very...

If you've got the sludge blues, it won't come off the insides of the tank without "physical scrubbing" ... Be it rag, sponge, scraper, pressure washer...So a bottom drain doesn't do ya much good...

If you don't get the scum off... You're fighting a losing battle... Once you're operating room clean inside... You can filter, polish, treat, and recycle to keep clean fuel... That's the secret...

Bug killers do exactly that... but they leave behind bug carcasses... regular filtering/polishing is the key... There's a TON of info here on built in polishing systems...

My tank on the big boat before this chore... Part of the courting process if her previous partner was neglectful of her needs...

I'll post the pics and procedures performed on making (4) 10x10 inspection plates, cleaning, and polishing this 240g bad boy in place...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sad Sailor .jpg
Views:	372
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	115291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goo Scraping 2 .jpg
Views:	233
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	115292  

Old 19-12-2015, 06:41   #27

Tanks again. I am pulling that thing. And removing the tank.

Not today though, way to cold here in Fla. 45 degrees last night. Ready to put the de-ice tubes around the hull.
Brewman
Old 19-12-2015, 06:52   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Not today though, way to cold here in Fla. 45 degrees last night. Ready to put the de-ice tubes around the hull.
Brewman
A balmy 26 here gives you no sympathy whatsoever...

Old 19-12-2015, 07:49   #29
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

Brewman
45 at night is cold? 55-60F during the day? Perfect working weather, better than 95F.

De-ice tubes in FL? I think your sense of cold is miscalibrated. Ice melters are not needed until Maryland. I don't use mine most years.
Old 19-12-2015, 08:10   #30

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_steadfast View Post
This is after an 18 month Jar Test against biobor JF
About 10 years ago got a black furry algae on the sides of my fuel tank. The o-ring was missing on the deck fill and water got in. Sucked up the crud from the bottom of the tank and removed all the fuel. Added new fuel with Biobor JF and was amazed at how quickly the tank clean up. A year later had a guy polish the tank, said it was one of the best he had ever seen on a boat over 10 years old and mine was 28. The first treatment is a shock and do just maintenance after that. Don't over treat with aluminum tanks.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, diesel