Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2008, 10:08   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I was a member of the three-man crew of YANMAR ENDEAVOR, a forty-foot trimaran designed by Gino Morelli, that did the first recorded crossing of the Pacific in an outboard powered boat. We had two 27 HP Yanmar diesels, about 400 gallons of fuel, and did the trip in just over a week (it was in the late 80's, so the details are hazy). The engines were dependable, but we almost blew it by not having enough fuel filters, having picked up our diesel in San Francisco, only a week or so after the earthquake. Lots of stirred-up yuck in the shore tank. No sails or mast, just 24 hours a day of engine power.
Was this you?????Yanmar diesel
Divecoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 05:15   #32

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Who, if anyone, makes a gas outboard with an integrated fuel tank? Thanks for the info!
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 13:29   #33

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I was a member of the three-man crew of YANMAR ENDEAVOR, a forty-foot trimaran designed by Gino Morelli, that did the first recorded crossing of the Pacific in an outboard powered boat. We had two 27 HP Yanmar diesels, about 400 gallons of fuel, and did the trip in just over a week (it was in the late 80's, so the details are hazy). The engines were dependable, but we almost blew it by not having enough fuel filters, having picked up our diesel in San Francisco, only a week or so after the earthquake. Lots of stirred-up yuck in the shore tank. No sails or mast, just 24 hours a day of engine power.
Hi Roy, I ended up buying those two diesel OB's off Steve after Endeavor was shipped back from PN. They were a real project, but I finally ended up with two running engines. Steve bought the second engine back from me as a 'get-me-home' motor for his ill fated Revolution 98 project. I would have liked to have been on that trip to Hawaii. Here's a little write up on the motor I'm presently using. HIND SIGHT
justjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 02:50   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
Who, if anyone, makes a gas outboard with an integrated fuel tank? Thanks for the info!
Most small outboards (<6 HP) from Mercury, Yamaha, Nissan, etc, have integral gas tanks.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:20   #35

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDROCAT View Post
Hi there is 10HP Diesel outboards availble from Goods Direct ltd,
they are manufactured in India and are called Star Outboards,
see OUTBOARDS DIRECT FROM CHINA PETROL AND DIESEL & MARINE EQUIPMENT SHIPPED WORLDWIDE for more details, thanks Stephen
Hi,

I had the platform for this unit when I acquired the Vega. One could put ANY type of vertical shaft engine on this thing. Interesting concept. The thing seemed robust enough but pretty ugly. I chucked it as there was also a Mariner 8hp w/ the boat. Wish that I had kept the "thing" (for experimentation if nothing else).
I have long wondered why their weren't good quality diesel outboards available. Aside from the potential enviro issues, I suspect that their just isn't enough market interest.

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:25   #36

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Thank you Gord.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 08:40   #37

Other diesel outboards?

These folks say they are working on producing diesel outboards (don't know how appropriate for sail cruisers, though) ...

www.megaoutboard.com

And what about the Coventry diesel (I think it was about 25 hp, again, too big for many of us)?
Howyawldoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 08:53   #38

misspelled link

I'm sorry, its Maritime Engineering Group, Inc , not mega. I don't know how much these things will weigh nor what shaft lengths will be available when they go into production.
Howyawldoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:23   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I recall that a US manufacturer [Evinrude?] had retooled an outboard for Navy Seals that would run on JP5 (aviation jet fuel) which is commonly carried aboard certain Navy ships. Is it a big stretch to ask if these could be run on marine diesel?
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:54   #40

Boat: 44 footer
Wow...

That diesel engine leg is the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Wouldn't be a stretch to have a drive pulley attached to that to run most anything...

How much for just the drive leg? I don't see a price listed on the website...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:38   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I saw the drive leg by itself on one of the chinese diesel engine sites recently.
Old 12-07-2008, 14:19   #42

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
I recall that a US manufacturer [Evinrude?] had retooled an outboard for Navy Seals that would run on JP5 (aviation jet fuel) which is commonly carried aboard certain Navy ships. Is it a big stretch to ask if these could be run on marine diesel?
JP5 is diesel fuel/kerosene, more or less. I don't see how the could make a gas outboard burn it.
Old 12-07-2008, 17:02   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'll tell them you said so. They may stop by. [evil grin]
Old 05-12-2008, 10:59   #44

Boat: Underwood 33, Shoestring
air-cooled diesel outboards

I have a 6 tonne Junkboat that doesn't like going to windward in a lumpy sea against tide. I used to have an ancient yamaha 9.9 4 stroke high thrust 3:1 gear ratio that did the job well, but it's a mission to pull out of the engine well and flush. Corrosion eventually got to it.

I'm thinking of a 10 horse long shaft air cooled diesel, but I see they only have a 2:1 gear ratio (which just might have enough grunt). If not, can you put a bigger motor on that shaft or get a higher ratio gearbox for those engines?
Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:17   #45

Boat: Privilege 37
I ran a 27 hp Yanmar Diesel Outboard as the main power on my cat for 15 years. It was the first ultra long leg into UK.

Biggest problem was that the engine was really designed as a standard outboard replacement for workboats, thus ran a small prop quickly. It would have been much better with a better gear ratio and a larger prop.

It provided a lot of grunt by comparison with other outboards, especially when pushing against the wind. It also provided 10amps.

apart from one episode with watery fuel, the only problem I ever had with it was the pivot tube and steering seizing up.

a 4stroke honda would have been quieter!

The engine was made with very fine tolerances, and they were never able to get an automated production run, thus every one was hand built. The effect of this was that prices were far too high, and the units didnt sell.

Tags
diesel, outboard