Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 15:28   #16

The drive leg is a good idea. I think there could be a market for it in less developed areas. The US would cause so many warnings and guards to be in place that it would become useless with 10hp.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 15:33   #17

Zhongshens 10hp diesel outboard motor 2005

this is the picture of the Zhongshen one they are similar in design,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dieseloba12.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	2402  
HYDROCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 18:18   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Now that is a Butt Ugly outboard.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 19:07   #19

But ugly motor

Im afraid it adds weight for any sort of coulings, maybe if they used alloy around it can make it possible to dress it fancy with out adding to much weight
HYDROCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:06   #20

Boat: last boat , compass28
well call me funny , but the best thing I ever did was take the inboard motor out of my yacht and learn how to sail , it's like the people that have wind thingy's on top of their mast's , if you dont know where the wind is cummin from you should not be sailin
TonyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:15   #21

I looked at Yanmar diesel outboards for my boat, but the weight and the price put me off. They seem to be in the process of taking them off the market too, which raised questions about spare parts support in the future.

Yanmar - D27/D36
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 17:36   #22

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I was a member of the three-man crew of YANMAR ENDEAVOR, a forty-foot trimaran designed by Gino Morelli, that did the first recorded crossing of the Pacific in an outboard powered boat. We had two 27 HP Yanmar diesels, about 400 gallons of fuel, and did the trip in just over a week (it was in the late 80's, so the details are hazy). The engines were dependable, but we almost blew it by not having enough fuel filters, having picked up our diesel in San Francisco, only a week or so after the earthquake. Lots of stirred-up yuck in the shore tank. No sails or mast, just 24 hours a day of engine power.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 18:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
The EPA regulated the Yanmar outboards out of existence in the US
The above is my understanding of the situation as well.
Diesels ARE POWER HORSES NOT RACE HORSES
Few Americans understand or appreciate diesels. Diesel Ford Rangers have been the rage in 3rd world countries for ever. Replace rear leaf springs with a tree trunk and your only limited by how high you can pile it not now heavy it is . . .( well maybe not quite but you should see how they use and abuse those little guys)
Divecoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 16:35   #24
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't know of any US EPA approved diesel outboards, if there is I would like to know.
Inlet Marine Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 16:45   #25

That's what we are saying there are none for use in the USA.
Heck they are trying to eliminate the use of older carburetor-ed 2 strokes . Though I admit the pressure is what brought about todays E-Tec Technology.
Old 26-02-2008, 02:19   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Yanmar’s 36 HP “D Series” Marine Diesel Outboards are no longer in production and are no longer available:

YANMAR Diesel Power - D Series Marine Engine

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 04:34   #27

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Browsing out of interest. Have you considered Electric Outboards as now available.
Use a diesel genny on board, place to suit, and run all your domestics off it.
Now the only power on board is diesel, and a modern one in an insuated box.
Recent UK prices were 2k sterling for a boxed genny and a good elec outb'd about the same.
Both can be carried ashore for repair / replacement.
Old 26-02-2008, 05:01   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I suspect that most Electric outboard motors are limited to a around 200 Lbs maximum thrust, which might be a rough equivalent to a 5 HP gas engine.

A 5HP engine might weigh in at under 40# + 50# fuel & tank (< 100# total); whereas an electric motor might weigh in at 135 lbs + 565 lbs Batteries & charger (700# total).

Not exactly an equivalent product ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 09:00   #29

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Batteries and charger are on board anyway.
5hp outboard uses smelly petrol.
The proposal is more of an overall approach to on-board power given a clean sheet approach.
Elec from Genny or main engine is from clean diesel. Single sourcing is iffy so a gen pack and a main engine means power is always available.
Elec or diesel cooking, elec dinghy, solar and or wind for parking, run the genny for cooking or recharging. Save the lump for driving. It does have some merits.
Use two elec outboards for marina exit? a good half hour at full power from their own battery packs.
It is an option.
Old 28-02-2008, 10:03   #30

A few weeks ago at the Chicago Strictly Sail there was as I recall ( the manufacturer is the question here?) a Compact 20 ft. something that was powered by an electric golf cart motor. . . This motor when not powering the boat could be used as well to recharge the batteries. No doubt this wont work at lower speeds. No doubt this will reduce top speed attainable etc etc.
I know this is not the perfect solution. But we are not all racing every day of our lives ( when your on a sail boat you don't need to go fast because your already where you want to be)
How efficient is this system? I don't know but its a shot in the right direction. Nothing new was ever perfect the first try.
There is a reason why we no longer have steam Locomotives or even straight diesel Locomotives most are in fact diesel gen-set's running electric motors

Tags
diesel, outboard