Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2020, 19:47   #16
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Diesel fuel hoses

Check for dock mates wanting to change theirs out as well. I found the price of a box cheaper than by the foot for nearly twice the amount of hose. Or just keep the leftovers as spare.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 19:51   #17

Boat: Outremer 50S

The problem with standards is knowing all of the components. The linked standard is quite old and out of date. It requires A1 hose, which had a permeation rate of 100g/m2/day, whereas the newest USCG standard (and ABYC standard) requires hose designated A1-15, with a permeation rate less than 15g/m2/day. The “A” requires that the hose be fire resistant for 2.5 minutes in both standards. But in all cases the USCG standards apply to gasoline installations and the testing is done with gasoline. Even though the ABYC standard requires the same marking for diesel installations, the actual testing definitions don’t have much to do with diesel.

All valid and reasonable requirements. But, Gates, for instance has a truck fuel hose rated at 1gm/m2/day when used with diesel or gasoline - a whole order of magnitude better at permeation than the newest USCG standard. But they don’t certify it for fire resistance, so it cannot be used on marine, gasoline fuel installations. Could be used for diesel, but up to you to decide if permeation or fire resistance is a more important criterion.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 20:00   #18
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
The problem with standards is knowing all of the components. The linked standard is quite old and out of date. It requires A1 hose, which had a permeation rate of 100g/m2/day, whereas the newest USCG standard (and ABYC standard) requires hose designated A1-15, with a permeation rate less than 15g/m2/day. The “A” requires that the hose be fire resistant for 2.5 minutes in both standards. But in all cases the USCG standards apply to gasoline installations and the testing is done with gasoline. Even though the ABYC standard requires the same marking for diesel installations, the actual testing definitions don’t have much to do with diesel.

All valid and reasonable requirements. But, Gates, for instance has a fuel hose rated at 1gm/m2/day when used with diesel or gasoline - a whole order of magnitude better at permeation than the newest USCG standard. But they don’t certify it for fire resistance, so it cannot be used on marine, gasoline fuel installations. Could be used for diesel, but up to you to decide if permeation or fire resistance is a more important criterion.
I went with Trident A1-15 currently for $92/50’ but In pretty sure I got it for around $50. Might have been a seasonal price.
https://tridentmarine.com/product/tr.../#.Xj4xpSV6qEc
Old 07-02-2020, 20:18   #19

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
I went with Trident A1-15 currently for $92/50’ but In pretty sure I got it for around $50. Might have been a seasonal price.
https://tridentmarine.com/product/tr.../#.Xj4xpSV6qEc
Ha, I had just landed on this page and saved it in my notes app. I'll have to take a more closer look at what the local chandlery stocks. It was Trident, but didn't know then what I was looking at or comparing it with. I'm guessing it was the A-15.

It's GREAT to have a better understanding of the tests and what the different numbers mean. That was super helpful, Dsanduril.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 20:25   #20
rbk

I generally shop at fisheries supply as it’s ‘close’ but worth shopping around. Currently $99.05/box regular price but you could probably knock a few bucks off this time of year with all the boat show specials going on everywhere IF you can get someone on the phone to barter with. Big IF as anyone worth talking to are at the shows. I called three franchises stores for a shipping quote this week. 3 stores, 3 different locations, I got the same shelf stocker at all three locations. I wanted a shipping quote his response was ‘all the products are at the boat show’...I just said thank you and tried the next store...
Old 08-02-2020, 08:44   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Marine hoses are fire expose rated, vehicle hoses are not. You can walk away from a truck fire.
Yah. They have an SAE rating , EPA rating , ISO rating and. Are USCG approved
Most of that rating stuff is heat resistance , pressure , vacuum rating and permeability

It’s possible that auto shop hose carries the same specs
Ask
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel