Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2010, 10:14   #1

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
Diesel Fuel Additives

i was told recently to use a fuel additive in my diesel fuel because of the low sulphur content in diesel now days and these products also lubricate the moving parts in my engine. does anyone have info on this and can offer their recommendations as to which brands work best? thx.
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 10:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Low Sulfur Diesel fuel and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel requires good lubricity and corrosion inhibitors to prevent unacceptable engine wear. The majority of low sulphur automotive diesel fuels marketed today are treated with an additive to enhance the lubricity of the base fuel. With these additives, ULSD fuel performs as well as Low Sulfur Diesel fuel.
Check with your preferred fuel supplier.

If you do use an additive, see the Lubricity Additive Study Results
http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_**...itive_test.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 12:24   #3

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Interesting study. I'm not 100% convinced it emulates what is happening in the injectors, pump and upper cylinder of an engine with heat and pressure though. One thing does seem to click with me though and that's that biodiesel always improved my milage and quited my engines (I drove 120,000 miles a year for way too many years). And way better yet, straight vegitable oil (when propperly dewatered, filtered and burned in a well designed system-NOT just added to the tank!). As we aren't required to burn "on road diesel" in boats, I wonder if the "off road diesel" sold around here for tractors and dyed red compares?- the same stuff as Number 2 diesel used for home heating, without the federal and state road tax. It still has the greasy feel like diesel used to have before ULSD.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 12:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The standards for marine, locomotive and non-highway diesel, such as farm or construction equipment, are not being implemented in 2010. However changes for these categories will soon be required. In June 2010, the ULSD fuel standard of 15 ppm sulfur will be required for all non-road diesel fuel production, and starting 2012, locomotive and marine diesel fuel must also meet the ULSD fuel standard of 15 ppm sulfur.

The HFRR Lubricity (ASTM D-6079) test determines whether or not a fuel meets the lubricity requirements needed to maintain maximum injector performance, and can also be used to monitor appropriate lubricity additive formulations.
http://www.oxytane.com/mystery/Liqui...Bulletin79.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 12:45   #5

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Good to know that someone is looking out for the wellbeing of my injector pump! Time will tell if their requirements are ample...the ULSD stuff feels like a solvent instead of a lubricant.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 12:48   #6

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
THe date for low sulphur diesel implementation in UK is this Saturday. Diesel will now include up to 7% biofuel.

There has been some concern from owners of vintage engined boats because of the effects bio has on certain parts like gaskets and seals.

Low sulphur diesel has been in use in millions of cars for many millions of road miles so far, so its well proven in newer engines without the need for further additives

Tags
fuel