Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2020, 08:20   #16
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Diesel Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Not really, since someone will argue every point.

• Inherently unstable. Put some in a glass jar and check back in 5 years. No sludge. It is environmental factors that make it unstable, including water, air, copper, zinc, and bugs. And how stable do you expect it to be? Is there any other fluid you would expect to remain viable in an open container for 5 years? I can't think of one. You need to burn through it every year... obviously.
  • Magnets. Easter bunny.
  • Biocides. They are not to cure infections, they are to prevent them. Obviously, if you wait until it's bad, there will be dead bodies that require removal. This is unavoidable, no mater what they tell you. Yes, you can detect incipient infections, either with dip slides or by really looking at the filter.
  • Water leaks. Yup, this is the main culprit. Most is through poor filler seals. It is not likely to come with the fuel, since they must, by law, filter to 20 microns with a water repelling element.
  • Water from air. I would use a silica gel filter. It will remove several ounces per year. Other would argue against it, but there is no down side.
  • Additives. They can help... but nearly all information is ancidotal. There is very little 3rd party testing, many of them flat out lie, and there are no ASTM standards for many claims. The most important factor for fuel stability is corrosion protections, since it is the metals ions that promote sludge formation. Google ASTM and standby generator specs (like boats, the fuel gets old) and you will learn that copper and zinc are forbidden.Sail Delmarva: Are We the Cause of Fuel Breakdown?
  • Corrosion. Copper and zinc should be minimized, but they can also be protected. Stabil Diesel and Star Tron have done well in 3rd party testing. Some have made it worse.
  • ULSD is equally stable. I've done long terms test. I've infected it with bugs. I've done corrosion testing. No real difference. This is fear mongering. Lubricity is a separate factor.
Check your filler. Use an anti-corrosion additive. And burn the fuel every year!! This is really the main reason diesel vehicles don't have the same problems. They use the fuel.
That’s pretty much what the article said and it could be argued about the stability, unless one has a perfectly sealed glass fuel tank then the fuel is inherently unstable when stored in typical containers. Agree with you on all points though, keep the fuel, tank and system clean, use good quality fuel and additives (appropriately) and use the crap out of it.

What’s your experience with lubricity additives? I use Biobor (available and good rep) in the regular amount when filling but I do worry with the ulsd in my old Perkins.

I’ve been surprised at how many people will pull unknown fuel out of some old lawn mower, sled, tractor etc and rather than dispose of it they’ll throw it in their brand new truck or boat etc all to save a few gallons (if that) of fuel.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 16:52   #17

Factory reps from Alaska Diesel (Northern Lights), John Deere, and Cummins recommended to me Stanadyne fuel treatment for lubricity and stabilization. I used to source it from Diamond Diesel in Oakland CA, the largest rebuild er of injection pumps in the Bay Area. In my mind, all strong recommendations.

Getting rid of old diesel can be difficult. Before leaving from San Francisco 500 nms south to Ensenada MX last year, I was hugely worried about the 15-year old diesel in my tanks. Turns out that it was considered hazardous waste and would have been thousands of dollars to dispose of. So I diluted with 100 gallons of fresh diesel, and triple dosed with Stanadyne. I also loaded up on Racor filters and headed south. My old Perkins 4.236 didn't skip a beat, though I did switch to a reserve filter after about 80 hours.

I had the fuel tanks replaced in Mexico. The diesel was so dark I couldn't give it away to local fishing boats.

Not sure what the lesson is, except old Diesels run on anything, especially low flow (1.25 gph tops). 15 years is a long time, but San Francisco climate is pretty tame. Different story in hot humid climate of, say, Florida.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 05:44   #18

Quick question re: diesel fuel — is the (less expensive) diesel fuel at the local service station on the road same as (more expensive) diesel fuel at my local dock/marina?
breeeznalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 06:45   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Generally (USA)all they add to (non road taxed) Marine diesel fuel is a red dye.. In the Bahamas.. I didn’t see the red dye in their marine diesel fuel that we bought from the marinas.
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 14:27   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

In the US, road diesel is marine/farm diesel without the red dye. If you can take 500 gallons or more, you can arrange for fuel delivery of road diesel at a dock that can support a truck. My boat can hold 2000 gallons and currently has no red dye diesel.
If you buy diesel at a dock in a commercial port or a marina that sells large amounts to commercial users, the price is often the same or less than road diesel.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 15:08   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeeznalong View Post
Quick question re: diesel fuel — is the (less expensive) diesel fuel at the local service station on the road same as (more expensive) diesel fuel at my local dock/marina?
It’s identical, except some Marine Diesel has an antimicrobial in it, if I said that correct.
I believe that Valv Tect does, the fuel at the gas station most likely does not.
However I add Bio Bor JF to all of my fuel, I’ve had bugs before, hopefully never again.

If you want to save even more money find a service station that sells to farmers, it will be even cheaper as it does not have the road use tax on it, and will be died red, just like the fuel at the Marina. Just at a much lower price.
You pay a premium for Marina fuel for the convenience.

On edit, the above is true for US only, apparently Europe has other uses for died fuel and maybe even other colors?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 15:38   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
On edit, the above is true for US only, apparently Europe has other uses for died fuel and maybe even other colors?
Green in Southern Ireland and red in the North. Different countries so different tax regimes and you wouldn't want a farmer on the boarder mixing up his fuels now would you. Not that anyone would smuggle fuel across either just because the duty was less

One thing I did notice running a power boat in France, was that it ran faster and cleaner on their road diesel compared to the first tank full of UK red stuff I took with me. Mate drives fuel tankers for a living, said "not surprised". Its certainly nothing like the thick golden stuff we used to spend hours pouring into military vehicles 40 years ago.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 21:57   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
I’d suggest that if magnets of the size used in the "fuel treatment systems" were strong enough to have a biological effect, then the people who wear magnets on their wrists to "treat" arthritis would have their hands falling off.

yup - we all live on a really big magnet, so going by their logic, why havent we been cured of everything?

also, if little magnets killed bacteria, then an MRI scan should explode the person being scanned?
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel