Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 09:19   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Diesel Engines Love & Hate List Features and Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Yep, it was a monza. It has been a few years and gee I'm blonde. Still poor engineering.
In defense of the Engineers, it was never intended to get that engine, I think that was a last minute decision, and I am sure Engineering wasn't consulted.
Or more likely it was a "make it work by Friday" order.

Thing I find astonishing was that GM had demonstrated in excess of 500,000 mile reliability on the Wankel, and for the 70's that was amazing.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:29   #32

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLizzard View Post
"Yea,#1 approach is so easy that #3 gets suggested multiple times
#2 just continues the basic approach of #1 but adds a hammer to the project."

Paul L, too funny. Yes, a hammer is my favorite tool.
I grew up in the oilfield where the rule was, if something's not working, hit it with a hammer. If that doesn't fix it, go look for a bigger hammer.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:01   #33

Boat: 1985 S2 9.2C
*a diesel fanatic raises his hand*

I am a diesel fanatic. Do I need to say more? Okay, I will

My relationship with diesels began back in 1981 when my (ex)wife and I bought a VW Rabbit equipped with a small 4 cylinder diesel engine. It got 45+ miles to the gallon and I only suffered gelled fuel once. I'm a quick learner with mechanical stuff.

My relationship though started in January 2007 when I became interested in Biodiesel. Yes, I was one of those guys who collected Used Vegetable Oil from my favorite restaurants and made biodiesel for my own personal use. I bought my first old Mercedes diesel in March, 2007. I've owned a "few" old Mercedes diesels since then.

In addition, I've tinkered on Caterpillar, Deutz, Cummins, VW, Perkins, White, Lister (still have a 2 cylinder), and some other off the wall stuff.

A simple google search of my userid along with the word diesel will provide you more reading entertainment than you have time left in the world. I would strongly suggest you NOT go down that rabbit hole.

The older the diesel, the easier it is to work on. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
daw_two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:14   #34

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I love our Yanmar 4JHE. In one word...reliable. It has never let us down. In the 17 years we've owned it we've put on about 2000 hrs, so now it has nearly3000 hrs on it. I'm very conscientious about regular maintenance, filters, impeller replacement, hoses, clean fuel and oil changes, etc. My diesel mechanic loves this engine too.

On the negative side only two things to mention.

1) the wiring harness is located such that the connections are too near the exhaust elbow. A tiny pinhole leak (found and replaced quickly) wet the connection and eventually led to corrosion which was harder to find. There could have been better placement for this vulnerable connection.

2) The design of the boat, placing the engine low and near the center, puts the water pump">raw water pump below the cabin sole in a hard to reach spot. Not impossible but not comfortable to get at. Despite this awkward location I replace the impeller every 100 hours or once a year so it's not really a problem.
Also endorse the Yanmar 4JHE, we had one for 10 years that was already 10 years old when inherited. Never missed a beat started first time every time no matter how cold it was in UK then, ran quietly and smoke free whilst sipping diesel sat just 0.53GPH which at 2000rpm gave 6.5kts in a 41 footer.

Previously hadowned and loathed smokey small Volvos but then fitted a 50hp MD22L Volvo, actually a badge engineered, green painted Perkins Prima, a marinised Austin Montego car engine in one boat and that was pretty good, just not as good as the Yanmar in the boat that replaced it.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:24   #35

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Engine: Phasor P3-28-05 (Kubota d1105 block)

Love: It's been dead reliable

Hate: Raw water pump location (aft facing behind the injection pump stbd side)
Beta uses the same block and mounts the pump on the front of the engine.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:25   #36

I'm a Beta fan now as those Kubota diesels are very robust and easy to service but I am very bias after dropping lots of dough on a recent engine exchange.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:40   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Volvo also tuned that engine up to 105hp for use with a stern drive to catch the rib and run around market. Think it was badged as TAMD 22.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
I own a Volvo Penta MD22l, 1996. In fact it is a Perkins Prima M50 in green color. This engine type(the engine block) is derivated from a delivery gasoline truck(Hilman I think) that was transformed by Perkins into an over head cam(belt driven camshaft), diesel engine of many power(50. 60 80 Turbo) and purpose. It can be found in many applications, Land Rover van, John Deer tractors,generator, etc.And naturaly marine versions from Perkins and Volvo.
Perkins solved completly the leaking malady that affected its previous engines.
This engine start well, do not smoke, and is very frugal on fuel.
The only problem is that the camshaft belt need to be checked and replaced at intervals, or else...
Valve adjusment is complicated and requires special tools and parts. And Volvo version parts are horribly expensives. But one quickly finds out that Perkins, Rover parts are much cheaper... My engine has 1200 hours and I find it very reliable.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:44   #38

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50

1996 Perkins 4-236 7851 hrs, original, the injector pump was replaced before we bought the boat. She is a real gem. Runs smooth and quiet, 1000 to 2800 rpm.
Parts are easy to find and cheap. Someone told be this is most common engine on the planet. Used in boats, tractors, and generators for 30+ years. Came with dual alternators and a refrigerator compressor still plenty of hp to push 20 tons of boat.

My only complaint is the horizontal oil filter.

Oh and really love the attached oil change pump like the one in the picture above on the Beta. Oil changes are a snap. I actually found my oil filter at the grocery store here in St Thomas VI. Both water pumps are easy to get at. Impeller is a 5 minute job.

Will definitely rebuild not replace if I ever have to.

I am very careful about maintenance, and clean fuel.
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:46   #39

Boat: Whitby 42 , Ketch

Love my Perkins 4-236, 43 years old -still original and many hours on it.
Best balanced engine i ever owned.
It starts up like a charm,some white smoke when cold and very quiet running
at my cruising speed of 6 kn (1600 RPM )
Uses no oil but the oilpressure is dropping very slowly indicating an overhaul in
the near future.
Love my Perkins
Cheers
Siggi
svthreecheers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:03   #40

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have been playing with engines for more than 50 years. Got my first diesel back in the early 80s. A Chrysler-Nissan SD622. 6 cylinder built in the 70s primarily to replace the Chrysler Crown in many small commercial fishing boats. Very economical engine to run . Have loved diesels ever since. Presently like my two Perkins 4-236s. They were installed in 1981 and rebuilt in 2006 by the previous owner. Very reliable engines.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:33   #41

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Oh, I won't have a green one though
I had heard this a lot, so when my P30 came with a Volvo 2002 I was concerned. But that engine ran and ran and ran. Its started easily every single time and gave me no trouble at all. My only real complaint...it liked to dance...I think the engine mounts were wrecked...but I can't blame that on the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 001.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	134792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 010.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	134793  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 012.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	134794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 005.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	134795  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:54   #42

Boat: Rafiki 37

2QM20, which is older than am I

Seems indestructible, keeps chugging away, doesn't leak oil really, generally beautifully behaved.

However it sounds and feels like it's exploding - apparently that's normal. Not the quietest engine!
Old 03-11-2016, 11:58   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Detroit Diesel 2 cycle, my favorite, won't fit in smaller sailboats.
I like them because:
No injector pump, no bleeding issues,
No circuit boards or electronic sensors,
No power requirements besides the starter.
Parts available world wide. Even Russia produces a copy.
Once started they will run until out of fuel.
I also have a Perkins 4108, Made in 1972 running a generator.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:08   #44

Boat: Simpson Mk2 12metre Cat

Like my perkins 103 -15 motors , basic easy to repair etc purr away nicely.
Hate the expensive green paint and volvos marinisation . Cast iron exhaust risers, what the? and any parts water pumps etc are more than double the price as for a perkins one
paul k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 14:25   #45

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Volvo Penta D2-40, 2010. 500+hrs in 6 years with all the recommended servicing (VP approved and by yours truly)

No real loves other than it starts first time and runs smooth all day long. Not particularly noisy as oil burners go, even with the engine bay open. Cruising revs around 1850 to 2000rpm gives 6 to 7kts depending on how mucky the bum is.

Hates, however, is another story
Air Filter - why do we have to change the entire assembly rather than just the filter? Easy fix, get a K&N filter and wash it
Fine Fuel Filter is impossible to remove without spilling fuel due to the engine block design - why can't they test this stuff before they finalise the design?
Oil Filter - horizontal is a pain but trying to get the filter spanner on it is a bugger due to the fuel line and the engine mount. 1/20th of a turn means it is nigh on impossible to twist without taking the skin off your knuckles

At least the impeller is easy to get to as it is front mounted

Like any marine engine much of the "hates" could be designed out if only the manufacturers and the boat builders would actually listen to the gripes of owners.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine