Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 12:08   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Diesel engine heating in cold weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
This is one situation where synthetic oil can be of benefit. Shell Rotella T is a 15w40. Shell Rotella T6 is a 5w40. That means the viscosity is lower when cold, and more amenable to being pumped at low temps.

If you are seeing very low winter temps, changing to synthetic is something to consider.

One problem with a block heater is this : it only works at the marina. What if you're at anchor?
My father always told me to use Rotella T although it wasn't the synthetic. It was pre synthetic I'd use it in my cars/trucks and 671s. I think it was 5W40.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 13:03   #17

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

If you're in fresh water and the engine temp is below 32F or 29.5F in seawater you have bigger problems than heating your oil. My engine is below the waterline and when it gets really cold it's always the warmest room on the boat. If it's really a serious problem then you have your boat in the wrong location. I solved my winter boating problems by moving south. Currently in Staniel Cay in thr Bahamas. Seriously I used Rotella 15w-40 in my yanmars in NC and even when there was an inch of ice on the water the engines always started on the first turn, even without using the glow plugs. I did let them warm up for a while longer than usual before I put them under load when it was really cold.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 14:10   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
If you're in fresh water and the engine temp is below 32F or 29.5F in seawater you have bigger problems than heating your oil. My engine is below the waterline and when it gets really cold it's always the warmest room on the boat. If it's really a serious problem then you have your boat in the wrong location. I solved my winter boating problems by moving south. Currently in Staniel Cay in thr Bahamas. Seriously I used Rotella 15w-40 in my yanmars in NC and even when there was an inch of ice on the water the engines always started on the first turn, even without using the glow plugs. I did let them warm up for a while longer than usual before I put them under load when it was really cold.
I'm not sure about your point? Use Rotella or move south?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 19:21   #19
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Suggest using a Caframo Bali Engine / Bilge heater, mounted between engine and fuel tank.

Rod Brandon
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, heating, weather