Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2020, 14:56   #1

Did not refill oil in MSB Reverse Gear

Hey all,

I am kicking myself pretty hard right now. Did my first oil change on my Volvo Penta MD11C and drained the oil from the reverse gear, but only refilled the engine oil afterwards. I did not read the manual carefully enough, and thought that the oil I put in was for the transmission as well. Or something.

Ran the engine hard for a total of 7 or so hours over the next couple of weeks, when suddenly forward gear wouldn't engage. That's when I reviewed my behavior and realized the mistake.

I've filled the Reverse Gear oil now, and shockingly, the transmission seems to be working. The gear shifts are a bit delayed, and come with loud clicks that weren't there before. My question is: is there any maintenance I can do on the transmission now to prevent further damage and a massive rebuild down the line?
Adnaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 15:13   #2

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Re: Did not refill oil in MSB Reverse Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnaan View Post
Hey all,

I am kicking myself pretty hard right now. Did my first oil change on my Volvo Penta MD11C and drained the oil from the reverse gear, but only refilled the engine oil afterwards. I did not read the manual carefully enough, and thought that the oil I put in was for the transmission as well. Or something.

Ran the engine hard for a total of 7 or so hours over the next couple of weeks, when suddenly forward gear wouldn't engage. That's when I reviewed my behavior and realized the mistake.

I've filled the Reverse Gear oil now, and shockingly, the transmission seems to be working. The gear shifts are a bit delayed, and come with loud clicks that weren't there before. My question is: is there any maintenance I can do on the transmission now to prevent further damage and a massive rebuild down the line?
If it were me, I would NOT run that thing till it was somewhat apart to check everything, if you said 10min, but 7hrs DAMN...checklists

One cheap thing, drain the oil back out, cut any filters and check for metal?
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 15:55   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yeah, I’d pull it. At this point it may just be clutch disks or whatever, later it may be more expensive hard parts.
Many transmission don’t have oil filters or pumps etc, just splash lubricated, however sucking the oil out may tell you what went bad by what comes out.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 16:31   #4

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

You're possibly in deep poo!
The "clutches" are really a thin unreplacable lining inside a female cone in an unobtainable gear.
You might try changing the trans oil to ATF for a little while to maybe clean the gunk off the surface.
Contact Joe DeMers at "https://www.soundmarineinc.com"[/URL]
I think the MSB is the only trans that will mate up tp a MD11C
My wife and I (she's the muscle on the rope) have pulled the trans on our very cramped Formosa 3 or 4 times., and I think I finally got it fixed, using some rather rusty parts from a junk trans.
WARNING! before you pull the trans (the four socket head cap screws going into the bell housing) put tarps and oil pads down, the engine sump will drain out into the bilge.
Don't forget to refill the engine when you're done' -experience-
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 16:55   #5

Thanks lads. The mechanics here near San Luis Obispo, CA are booked weeks out, and recommend I refill the oil and run her til she dies, then rebuild.
Does Automatic Transmission Fluid come in the same weight as my regular 15W-40, or what should I be looking for?
Old 23-06-2020, 17:11   #6

And remember, PUT IT IN REVERSE (to lock it) when you're sailing, or you'll wear out what little lining is left.
Old 23-06-2020, 17:21   #7

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnaan View Post
Thanks lads. The mechanics here near San Luis Obispo, CA are booked weeks out, and recommend I refill the oil and run her til she dies, then rebuild.
Does Automatic Transmission Fluid come in the same weight as my regular 15W-40, or what should I be looking for?

I’d find new mechanics

If someone says “run it till she dies” that translates to “I’m a idiot”
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 18:38   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

MSB is splash lubricated and unless you drained it through the bottom hole, you still had some oil in it.

So it was wet and worked. But as there was no oil, you soon overheated it and possibly damaged the surfaces.

Repair is easy. Remove it and leave it with a Volvo mechanic. They will be able to review it and fix what may need fixing in about one week.

Do not use it as is as this may quickly go to a point where you have even more parts to replace.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 19:00   #9

I went to a genuine Volvo Penta dealer for gaskets for mine, he sorta smirked and said "they haven't made these for over 30 years, and there are no parts available", and then tried to sell me a new engine.
EBAY for a used one, or Sound Marine Diesel is your best bet.
AND NEVER SAIL WITH THE TRANS IN FORWARD AND THE ENGINE STOPPED
Old 23-06-2020, 19:43   #10

MSB is a tractor part. It does not have any magic in it. Gaskets are made in plain gasket materials and can be made on spot by any skilled diesel mechanic.

It is a beautiful piece of engineering from the era when stuff was built to last and to get repaired over and over again.

Pull it out, give it to a good garage and they can fix it in no time.

b.
Old 23-06-2020, 19:45   #11
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I'm not familiar with this gearbox so take the following with a grain of salt!

The forward clutch material if only slightly damaged may be able to swapped with the reverse clutch material.

Bearing and seals will most likely off the shelf commercial items available from any bearing shop. Gaskets can be hand cut using either gasket material or just manila type cardboard.

EDIT: Barnakiel is two minutes faster than me
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 19:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Pull it out, give it to a good garage and they can fix it in no time.

b.
And stay well away from the V-P people!!!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 23-06-2020, 20:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
And stay well away from the V-P people!!!

Very unfortunately but indeed the case, unless they are the kind you meet in Sweden, especially in Gothenburg area ...

barnakiel
Old 23-06-2020, 21:03   #14

Who are the V-P people?

And I'm heading south in CA. Nowhere near Sound Marine Diesel. In Morro Bay right now. I'll not use the engine, then, but just look for the nearest Volvo Mechanic and give the trans to them.
Old 23-06-2020, 21:36   #15

V-P = Volvo Penta

As a generalisation a Volvo mechanic will only use Volvo parts (as he makes a lot of money on the parts). E.G a Volvo part number bearing might be $200 and the exact same bearing from a bearing shop could be $20.

Also the Volvo mechanic is unlikely to think outside the box if he can't source parts from V-P.

I don't know about CA but in Australia you can find car/truck/tractor/agricultral mechanics that can fix stuff all sorts of older machinery.

Tags
gear, oil