Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2020, 12:44   #76

Boat: Cal 29 mk2
Re: Deep fryer oil in diesel

its a Christmas miracle !
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 13:17   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I checked Specs, engine is RATED AT 2100 rpm
So don't over rev. 2500 rpm.
Be kind to engine with good clean water free fuel and it will be kind to you. It is maybe the most reliable diesel EVER produced in Japan.
Be Nice to it!

I dont know where you got your specs from but I have the Yanmar service manual & the max revs spec in that is 3400 rpm.
I am very nice to it AFAIK despite what people may assume by me putting WVO in it.
Spent a lot of rebuilding it & improving fuel & oil filtration.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 13:21   #78
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
One of the reasons biodiesel runs cleaner and possibly increase power is that it has some oxygen as part of the oil. Regular hydrocarbons don't, they rely on the air's oxygen.

Thank you, I did wonder about more oxygen as i couldnt think of another reason for it to stop over-fuelling symptoms.
However I'm no chemical engineer so assume you are & glad you chimed in.
Old 25-12-2020, 13:32   #79
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingInfidels View Post
Your (perceived) power increase is due to lubricity and cetane rating but given how little VO was in there I think you noticed something that is almost imperceptible.
Also, you didn't actually "mix" your fuel, unless you used some type of emulsfier.
The viscosity of VO is so much different than diesel fuel that they don't mix. When you run straight VO your engine will rattle a lot less than on diesel and that is because of the relatively thick fuel, (even when heated to reduce viscosity, as it should be)
Just as with engine oil, you should not mix oils. Think of oil as millions of ball bearings. All the balls in a given viscosity are the same size. If you ad another oil with bigger or smaller balls, the oil with smaller balls will not be able to do its job because the balls will not be able to contact both surfaces that need to be lubricated.
So by putting VO into your diesel fuel you are feeding your very expensive injection pump two oils of differing viscosity and if you do that enough, you could cause premature wear on the finely machined, internal surfaces of the pump.

Hmmm? Not too sure about this as I tried mixing 50/50 canola & diesel & left it sitting for + 3months & they seemed to mix fine with no sign of seperating..
Also tried putting in -12oC freezer overnite & the canola oil was in tiny balls the next day but redissolved when placed in refrigerator for 24hrs.
I think the 10% WVO mix will be better for the injection pump as it willl lubricate better than the ULSD alone.
But yes it's my experiment & my risk.
There are plenty of people that run their vehicles on WVO tho so I'm not blazing a trail & think it's very low risk.
Old 25-12-2020, 13:40   #80
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbraymer View Post
Best Forum question ever!

It says a lot about our group that no one ever thought that maybe it would not be a great idea to throw used/fried vegetable oil into the diesel tank!

And then the guy who does the admittedly questionable act is rewarded with an engine performance increase!

I know, I know, Rudolf Diesel himself wanted to use vegetable oil in his just invented engine, but had to settle for hydrocarbons!

I nominate this question as "Question of the Year", perfectly fitting for the year 2020...

No there are plenty who question my sanity & thats understandable.
It is my engine to destroy if I want. Believe me I dont want to wreck it & I did look into it a bit before trying it.

BTW Is there a new engine prize for question of 2020?
Old 25-12-2020, 13:46   #81
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by svDrifter View Post
Next you might try re-routing your blackwater plumbing into your engine's cooling sytem. That way you won't need to add coolant OR do your normal pump-outs. Should the engine start to run a little "crappy", then try placing a piece of window screen, hardware cloth or chicken wire in the loop.

Who knows? If you can filter off the methane from the cooling system and divert it to the intake manifold, you might even increase your HP a bit.

Does this mean you dont approve of my WVO disposal idea?
Old 25-12-2020, 13:52   #82
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDana View Post
I’d hazard a guess that the flashpoint of the oil you added is lower than diesel’s flashpoint. So, yer detonations are happening a little sooner. That’s like advancing the timing in a gasoline engine.

This sounds like a possibility as well. I guess I'm never going to be sure what it is but suspect it is something to do with the combustion. Like the added O2 idea.

thanks for input
Old 25-12-2020, 14:20   #83
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
I dont know where you got your specs from but I have the Yanmar service manual & the max revs spec in that is 3400 rpm.
I am very nice to it AFAIK despite what people may assume by me putting WVO in it.
Spent a lot of rebuilding it & improving fuel & oil filtration.
That is what I thought too - yet I had a look in my YSM 8 manual to confirm my 'memory' and found my manual gives a max rpm of 3200. Maybe we have different manuals???

Either way, it isn't as low as 2100 as BarryB suggests. AFAIK, no Yanmar small marine engine built since the 1970s are rated that low.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 14:42   #84
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
That is what I thought too - yet I had a look in my YSM 8 manual to confirm my 'memory' and found my manual gives a max rpm of 3200. Maybe we have different manuals???

Either way, it isn't as low as 2100 as BarryB suggests. AFAIK, no Yanmar small marine engine built since the 1970s are rated that low.
You pedantic bstd Wottie
Are you trying to drive me to drink more beer?
Nice try but sun not over the yardarm yet.
Well we are both right one is unloaded max rpm. If you look at hp/rpm graph it only goes to 3200 rpm but if you look at written spec it says No load engine speed max 3400 rpm.
cheers cobber.
Old 25-12-2020, 14:55   #85

Quote:
You pedantic bstd Wottie
Are you trying to drive me to drink more beer?
Nice try but sun not over the yardarm yet.
Well we are both right one is unloaded max rpm. If you look at hp/rpm graph it only goes to 3200 rpm but if you look at written spec it says No load engine speed max 3400 rpm.
cheers cobber.
Crikey cobber, now you are forcing me to the bottle.

Written specs you say, from Mr Pedantic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YSM RPM.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	229348  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-12-2020, 15:21   #86
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sun King View Post
I think I recall that Rudolph Diesel's early engines ran on veggie. A conventional diesel engine will run on just about any oily liquid that you can get through the filter. The WVO and SVO crowd tends to preheat the oil, though that is not necessary in warmer weather and in high dilutions, such as yours.

In my numerous truck and tractor engines, I have poured in transmission fluid, hydraulic oil, engine oil, paint thinner, Jet A, gear lube and actual diesel fuel. The particular type of injector may foul more easily with some brews. On engines with pointy injectors I never had any issues. On injectors with flat tips, I could get fouling, especially when burning used motor oil containing a teflon additive. My current pickup has a notoriously sensitive and expensive fuel pump, so I am staying with pump diesel in it.

I applaud your experimentation, but advise against going crazy with it if you'll be far from port. Keep a spare fuel filter in the cupboard. Smaller engines have a lower flow through their tinier nozzles, so are more particular about good filtration.
Yes I'll try & restrain myself from going crazy with it. We do have a pointy injector needle but the nozzle is flat. Have spare filters & injector nozzle on board.
I have a spare injector pump ( not onboard ) but don't expect that to be an issue & can strip & clean at sea if necessary. Wouldnt want to be doing that though.
Do have 18 micron primary & 5 micron secondary filtration as stated upthread.
Thanks for yr input
Old 25-12-2020, 15:25   #87
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Crikey cobber, now you are forcing me to the bottle.

Written specs you say, from Mr Pedantic...
Scroll down to the bottom of that written section you posted Wottie.
See whats on the 2nd to last line.
It's still not beer oclock
Old 25-12-2020, 16:01   #88

Boat: Still building

Years ago when I was researching biodiesel for a magazine article, I came across some (IIRC) Uni of Texas research which partnered with a trucking co. to test longevity of biodiesel and applicability for haulage firms.
What they found astonished them. Using biodiesel kept the engine oil so clean it didn't need to be changed even at 100,000miles. They tested it every 10,000 using a test lab, and it retained lubricity etc etc.
The other thing they noted after stripping the engine down three times during test that it was cleaner inside and needed less 'normal' maintenance.
Fuel efficiency was near enough to the same as pure petro-diesel.
And this with a 10% addition of biodiesel...!!
They ended up changing the oil at 100,000 even though the lab said it didn't need it. They just didn't trust the 'science' after their whole of life exerience said "this is wrong".
So, yeah, straight Veggie oil is not "biodiesel" (technically this is usally referred to as a 'methyl ester' as it is usually catalysed with methyl alcohol - wood alcohol).
Had a mate years ago, NRMA road service tech (roadside assistance in NSW Aust) who DIY his own brew using used veggie oil from the fryers at the local rissole (RSL - returned services league) club, mixed 80/20 with methanol (methyl alcohol).
Heat it for two hours while stirring (he rigged up an old washing machine motor to drive a paddle in a 44 gall drum) and then drain off the sediment after letting it cool and settle. At the time, it was costing him about 17c/L, so probably equiv of 75c/L today. Diesel is $1.50/L in Oz.
So definitely worth the DIY.
Another feller I talked to, who travelled the country teaching kite sailing, used straight V/O, but had a diesel tank as well, so as to start and stop on petro-diesel, as V/O hardens in injectors and clogs the pump if allowed to cool. Ran hoses from the radiator through the V/O tank to warm and liquefy it. Once warm it would run the engine fine. So start on diesel, run for 5mins to warm, then switch to V/O. Five mins before stopping, switch back to diesel to clear out the pump and injectors.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 16:20   #89

Quote:
Scroll down to the bottom of that written section you posted Wottie.
See whats on the 2nd to last line.
It's still not beer oclock
Yeah but.... that bit doesn't count - no one reads right to the bottom of the page.

I'll go back to running mine at 3400 now (unloaded)

It's Boxing Day, beer o'clock starts at sunrise!
Old 25-12-2020, 18:39   #90

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Yeah but.... that bit doesn't count - no one reads right to the bottom of the page.

I'll go back to running mine at 3400 now (unloaded)

It's Boxing Day, beer o'clock starts at sunrise!
First, happy boxing day, have a fifty for me. Now to the coking oil.
No problems here in my '82 Yanmar 2GM. We deep fries a couple of turkeys for thanksgiving. Strained the penut oil really well and dumped it in my fuel tank. I figured oil right? It'll burn. Well yeah it ran fine, no power increase though. (still only 13 hp.)
But... exhaust did smell like a burger joint following me.
Or maybe pizza?
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, oil