Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2020, 05:36   #1

Boat: Morgan 462
Question Dedicated sound and heat box for engine

Hey All,
I got a Morgan 462 /center cockpit. I did a search on this Idea...no luck. if anyone has seen a similar thread please point me in that direction.

The sound and heat that come out of my cavornis engine compartment make sleeping in the pilot berth (hallway next to engine compartment) very uncomfortable...I had looked into replacing the soundown that had been removed by a prior owner. The general systems mounted on the walls would make this a huge undertaking and got me think of building a box or cover for the perkins 4-154 not unlike a generator sound enclosure. I could see complete removal of the cover being necessary and attaching to the full length oil drip pan underneath would be easiest...Obviously run powered vent ports, and inspection hatches at critical locations. This would cut way down on the insulation need....It could be as simple as a few removable pipes that span above the motor and a fire retardant reinforced fabric box with velcro hatches that rests on them(the pipes)...sort of an engine tent?
What about the transmission and the shaft? may be able to insulate that area traditionally as its under the floor in the aft head....
Dumb?
Linwood4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 23:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Dedicated sound and heat box for engine

Make sure you don't rob the engine of the air it needs. I've seen people that want reduce the engine noise shorten the engines life. Lack of air causes much more soot in the oil besides less power. The engine is running rich with reduced air.

Also in a small box the engine may run hotter. The air on the way to the engine intake takes a lot of heat from things like the alternator, plumbing, etc.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine