Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2016, 02:12   #1

Boat: Jeanneau selection 37
Damper Plate removal

Hi all,
we are just replacing our Kanzaki KM2 gearbox on our in board Yamnar 2GM20 engine and are having some trouble trying to remove the existing rusted on damper plate.
Supplied has suggested it should just slide off? I don't think this has been removed for 30 years.
Any suggestions welcomed!
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 03:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Damper Plate removal

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Berserker.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 04:02   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Berserker and welcome to the forum.

Just slide off? Rule #1 of boat mechanics, NOTHING ever just slides off unless it's something that's supposed to stay together.

I would try the usual; soak, heat and beat.

Soak. If you don't have it get a can of PB Blaster or Kroil and soak the shaft hold the damper plate. Get large containers of either of these fluids as they will be your friend in many boat repair jobs. NOTE: Be very, very careful applying either of these around engines and transmissions. They will dissolve rubber or plastic parts like your transmission seal. If in doubt spray some in a bottle cap or other small container and apply with a Q-tip.

Heat. After it soaks for a while (longer is better, even overnight if you have time), heat the area. Use a handheld torch (like a propane torch, not a flashlight if you speak British) if it's safe. Maybe try to remove the part then but often you need to soak again when the part is hot and let it cool. That helps suck more fluid into the stuck joint.

Beat. Well don't exactly beat it but tap it firmly with a hammer or small metal tool. Of course be careful not to mung up any threaded parts and don't peen over the end of the shaft.

Repeat the steps as necessary and the part will probably come off eventually.

Question, Can you get a gear puller large enough and will it fit onto the damper? I might give that a try as well but I'm no mechanic and have not had to pull a plate so maybe wait for expert advice before trying this.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 04:56   #4

Boat: islandpacket

Once you have removed the transmission there is not much holding it after you remove the bolts. Its just a 1/16 thick plate probably just held on by rust. Remove bolts spray with the pb blasted tap the surface. Use a punch to catch the edge of the plate and tap as to try to turn it clockwise or anti. Its just a flat piece of metal mounted on a flat surface and nothing holding it other than the bolts you removed.
Don't beat it to hard as a new plate is over $300
Old 15-09-2016, 06:32   #5

Thanks Skipmac and Bad Santa for your prompt assistance,

been trying the soak, heat and beat method so far but been using a penetrating oil. First soaking had been on for a 3 days, then tried some more plus some break cleaner. also tried a "bodged up" gear puller using some old bits of metal and and large bolt but still no movement.
Badsanta - like the idea of the punch and tap you have suggested so will give this ago.
We have a new plate on its way so not too bothered if i bugger it.

Any other advise and thoughts welcome.
Old 15-09-2016, 06:56   #6

I don't think a gear puller can work. Your just trying to remove the 8 inch disk with the 4 springs in, it not the fly wheel.
If you have the replacement, see if you can break or remove one spring, you could then insert a large flat screw driver or claw hamer and pry it out. There is space under the springs. The bolts that hold the flywheel on are under the plate. It would be hard to hurt the flywheel, but dont mess up the threaded bolt holes the bolts go in to hold the plate. You might be able to drive a large flat screw driver slant ways in along a spring. And pry it out. My first time I removed the bolts around the plate then tried to remove the whole flywheel. Did not work. Lol
Once I started picking around the edge of the bolt hole I saw the plate wiggle, and I said OH CRAP, just that part! I was beating on the flywheel, no wonder it wouldn't move. Lucky I didn't break something.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-09-2016, 07:16   #7

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

If you are replacing the damper plate then the real goal is to remove the bolts. what you really need to do is soak the bolts in PB blaster repeatedly over a period of a couple of days. then you should have no problem removing the bolts with an impact wrench. Get a cheap one from Harbor Freight. They're worth every penny! I used one to remove the bolts holding my mast step in place. It was the worst combination of metals. SS bolts going through an aluminum step, sitting on a mild steel base. Before the Impact wrench I tried using a breaker bar alone with PB blaster but kept feeling like I was going to break either the bolt heads or the bar.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 07:17   #8

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Thanks Skipmac and Bad Santa for your prompt assistance,

been trying the soak, heat and beat method so far but been using a penetrating oil. First soaking had been on for a 3 days, then tried some more plus some break cleaner. also tried a "bodged up" gear puller using some old bits of metal and and large bolt but still no movement.
Badsanta - like the idea of the punch and tap you have suggested so will give this ago.
We have a new plate on its way so not too bothered if i bugger it.

Any other advise and thoughts welcome.
Post a pic, you're missing something. the damper plate is only held on by the 8-10 bolts around the outer edge of the plate, it should fall off once you've removed those bolts
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 08:38   #9

Result Bad Santa! jammed a screwdriver in the spings one at a time as suggested and levered the plate off. Got a little bent but not too bad.

phew! Now we just have to wait for the new gearbox and plate to arrive!
Stuck in Egypt!
Old 15-09-2016, 08:41   #10

Thanks for your input "pcmm", bolts were the first thing that came out easily. The plate its self was rusted stuck to the flywheel.
Old 15-09-2016, 08:54   #11

Good luck and stay safe.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-09-2016, 10:04   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Result Bad Santa! jammed a screwdriver in the spings one at a time as suggested and levered the plate off. Got a little bent but not too bad.

phew! Now we just have to wait for the new gearbox and plate to arrive!
Stuck in Egypt!
Congratulations. Glad you got it off. Sometimes destructive removal is the only option. Good thing a new one is on the way.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal