Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2019, 09:32   #1

Boat: Mahe 36
D1-30 injection pump

Sorry if this has been covered but I cannot find a reference for it.

VP D1-30 has a three port (?) injection pump. Three tubes run from the pump to the injectors. At the base of where the tubes attach to each port on the pump is a piece that kind of looks like a circlip but it appears to have an adjustment slot on the underside. #3 port clip is apparently broken.

1. What does this clip do?

The underside of the port is inaccessible while the pump is installed and I am considering removing it. The workshop manual description of the process is simple enough and if I could see the removed pump, my next question would be answered.

2. Does the engine and the pump need to be preset to some timing marks prior to pump removal or is the pump timing determined prior to and therefore unrelated to the pump installation? ie, can I just walk up and undo the three delivery tubes, remove the four nuts, unclip the rod and save the gasket shims. Fiddle with the pump and then reverse the process?

Cheers
Rufduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 21:16   #2

Re: D1-30 injection pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufduck View Post
Sorry if this has been covered but I cannot find a reference for it.

VP D1-30 has a three port (?) injection pump. Three tubes run from the pump to the injectors. At the base of where the tubes attach to each port on the pump is a piece that kind of looks like a circlip but it appears to have an adjustment slot on the underside. #3 port clip is apparently broken.

1. What does this clip do?

The underside of the port is inaccessible while the pump is installed and I am considering removing it. The workshop manual description of the process is simple enough and if I could see the removed pump, my next question would be answered.

2. Does the engine and the pump need to be preset to some timing marks prior to pump removal or is the pump timing determined prior to and therefore unrelated to the pump installation? ie, can I just walk up and undo the three delivery tubes, remove the four nuts, unclip the rod and save the gasket shims. Fiddle with the pump and then reverse the process?

Cheers

Hi Rufduck
That little plate's sole purpose is to stop the delivery valve housing from rotating when the injector pipe is being removed, you might have noticed that the spacing is too close to hold the delivery valve part with a wrench while loosening the pipe hence the locking plate.
The timing is adjusted by adding or removing shims from between the injector pump body and the engine block but you would need to read the relevant part of the service manual before attempting to adjust it.
Hope this helps.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 10:51   #3

Boat: Mahe 36

Thank you skipperpete.
Your answer just saved me a M$. However, it puts me back to chasing one of three problems plaguing me. To whit,
Why is the same engine:
Exhaust water steaming slightly when run above 2100 revs. (No alarms sounding and no temp gauge to check visually). Low coolant. Where is the fresh water coolant going? Have partially disassembled the heat exchanger and found little coolant in the system. #3 exhaust port is water wet and sooty
Running rough
Unable to turn above 2500 revs

At this point I’m suspecting a faulty injector for the last two (hence my query re the fuel pump).
Cheers
Rufduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 18:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufduck View Post
Thank you skipperpete.

Your answer just saved me a M$. However, it puts me back to chasing one of three problems plaguing me. To whit,

Why is the same engine:

Exhaust water steaming slightly when run above 2100 revs. (No alarms sounding and no temp gauge to check visually). Low coolant. Where is the fresh water coolant going? Have partially disassembled the heat exchanger and found little coolant in the system. #3 exhaust port is water wet and sooty

Running rough

Unable to turn above 2500 revs

At this point I’m suspecting a faulty injector for the last two (hence my query re the fuel pump).

Cheers

Rufduck, it might be time to inspect the exhaust mixer elbow, if it's partially blocked by corrosion it could cause the symptoms described.
You might also consider the possibility of a fouled propeller.
Regarding the loss of coolant, get a flashlight and inspect the area directly below the coolant circulating pump, (a mirror might help).
If the pump seal leaks , the coolant drips out of a small hole in the pump housing.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump