Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2022, 05:50   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Cummins QSB 6.7 tensioner pulley

Hey all,

This little devil is giving me a hard time. We’ve replaced the part twice already and the replacements wear out within a thousand hrs of operation or worse start chattering right away when we install them. I’ve isolated it down to the bearing as it seems to go away when i hit the hub with McLube but it comes back after a few minutes or as the rpms go up. Anyone have any thoughts or similar experience?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D7D98F14-185F-4688-9D39-26D4E813CD8A.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	448.4 KB
ID:	258107  
Old 21-05-2022, 06:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cummins QSB 6.7 tensioner pulley

Check out the Cummins marine engines forum:
QSB 6.7 belt tension ➥ https://www.sbmar.com/community/topi...-belt-tension/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 07:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Check out the Cummins marine engines forum:
QSB 6.7 belt tension ➥ https://www.sbmar.com/community/topi...-belt-tension/
Thanks God’s, I’d read that and didn’t find it super useful. Did I miss something? I’ve got an ace of a mechanic who’s been looking after this engine for 8200 hrs of operation and who also did the install. He’s fiddled with belt tensioner and I’d say 1/4” deflection at 80lbs sounds about where it’s at.
Old 21-05-2022, 11:38   #4

The Seaboard website has a forum where you could ask a specific question to be answered by a real Cummins guru. (Tony Athens)
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 16:46   #5

Boat: Nordic 44

I have similar idler pulleys on my Beta 50 (Kubota). Like your installation their purpose is to redirect the path of the belt.

I have the same problem as you. The bearings in the pulley only last about two years. My theory is that the bearings are spinning faster than they are designed to. If you look at the ratio between the crankshaft pulley and the idler wheel you will see what I mean.

If you could increase the diameter of the idler puller it would reduce it's RPM. In my case there is no clearance to do this.

I had the Beta factory provide a crankshaft pulley large enough to spin my second alternator at a speed that would provide full output at idle. This was a unique modification and neither Beta or I thought about the idler pulley speed.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 17:21   #6

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
I have similar idler pulleys on my Beta 50 (Kubota). Like your installation their purpose is to redirect the path of the belt.

I have the same problem as you. The bearings in the pulley only last about two years. My theory is that the bearings are spinning faster than they are designed to. If you look at the ratio between the crankshaft pulley and the idler wheel you will see what I mean.

If you could increase the diameter of the idler puller it would reduce it's RPM. In my case there is no clearance to do this.

I had the Beta factory provide a crankshaft pulley large enough to spin my second alternator at a speed that would provide full output at idle. This was a unique modification and neither Beta or I thought about the idler pulley speed.

I have a Beta 50 - and would like an idler pulley. How/where did you get it?
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 18:18   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I have a Beta 50 - and would like an idler pulley. How/where did you get it?
This was a factory mod. They have a bracket made to attach an auxiliary device such as a second alternator, refrigeration compressor, etc. You can see what this bracket looks like by viewing the keel cooled version of your 50 on the Beta UK website.

So, the keel cooled engine does not have a water pump">raw water pump in the way so if they fit this bracket to a conventional engine with a raw water pump the belt for the second alternator needs to be directed clear of the pump. That is why my engine has two idler pulleys. They are bolted to the block into what I assume are pre-existing bolt holes. Fairly large shoulder bolts go through a spacer to place the pulleys the proper distance from the block. The bolts go through a pair of bearings that the pulley turns on.

So, back to your question I suggest that you contact Beta UK or Beta North Carolina and discuss what you need. IMO Beta UK has much better support than North Carolina. Phone rates are so low these days that it is worth it to talk to them.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 22:02   #8

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Check water pump bearing. They chatter before they collapse. That is usually the cause--but it is not the only possibility. Some impeller pumps have replaceable seals and bearings, and need a press to fit them, others require the whole pump to be replaced.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 07:39   #9

Re: Cummins QSB 6.7 Water Pump Pulley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Check water pump bearing. They chatter before they collapse. That is usually the cause--but it is not the only possibility. Some impeller pumps have replaceable seals and bearings, and need a press to fit them, others require the whole pump to be replaced.
Yeah, this is a coolant pump pulley, not a tensioner pulley. I've revised the thread title. Sounds like it is just wearing out and I need to replace it.