Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2016, 15:09   #1

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Cost of Fuel

Fuel prices are on the rise. The good is there will be less traffic on the highways so it might be worth it. What do you think?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 22:41   #2

Boat: Rawson 30 PH
Re: Cost of Fuel

It also means I will be able to sell my off grid house faster this summer... Anyone need one in Alaska? Mainly because the oil patch guys will be flush with money again. Higher oil prices are looked forward to around these parts.
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 22:48   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

What I think is that "true environmentalists" among us are few, and therefore, people will continue to spend diesel and petrol (gasoline) in the ways that make them happy, in spite of the costs to the environment.

Beware, the new, no holds barred Ann is on the rampage!

Ann
Old 30-12-2016, 23:38   #4

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

And I thought sailboaters were unconcerned with fuel prices, feeding off mother nature's winds.

Feel let down down when sailboats motor and not sail.

Old 30-12-2016, 23:42   #5

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel383 View Post
It also means I will be able to sell my off grid house faster this summer... Anyone need one in Alaska? Mainly because the oil patch guys will be flush with money again. Higher oil prices are looked forward to around these parts.
Maybe Alaskans might now receive increased oil dividends since they've been cut back drastically in recent years. (But I doubt it.)
Old 30-12-2016, 23:54   #6
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Beware, the new, no holds barred Ann is on the rampage!
OMG, just when I thought it was safe to go out there
What happened to the old Ann that was safe and under control ?
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 00:00   #7

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Please forgive me KMac because my response is not the gloom you were anticipating.
I AM BLOODY GLAD that fuel prices are on the rise.
Why, you may well ask?
Well, Old Fruit, the Australian VA pays us old warriors WAY too much in pensions and entitlements. And so, if a bigger slice of my pensions goes back into the public coffers then people less fortunate than me will clearly benefit. Too easy. Feelin' geurd.
Sir, rather than elicit grief from me you have truly made my day. And I thank you for your selfless New Years present.
BBL.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 00:02   #8

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Tink I might just keep a very low profile.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 02:12   #9

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Maybe Alaskans might now receive increased oil dividends since they've been cut back drastically in recent years. (But I doubt it.)
Most recently the governor just ordered the last dividend to only partially be disbursed. It was a failed money grab. You see, its the American way, we all like nice things but nobody wants to pay for them, so when we(state of alaska) run out of money later this year we will borrow more!

80% of state revenue comes from oil. Folks around here really like high oil prices. I'm not a fan, but then, I'm for a much smaller government too.

This has a direct affect on cruising and sailing while visiting here. Fishing and hunting licenses went up this year for both resident and nonresident. Ex: nonresident black bear is 225$ for me? Free. And I can shoot 3 per year out my back door, drive 100mi and get 3 more.

Expect to be fleeced if you cruise these waters. Especially for fuel 2.70$ for gas when make it 20miles away. Unfortunately high oil = More oil money flowing--> translates into more water traffic around here.

That's why we have sails right?
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 02:49   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Will this mean that the cost of making sail cloth also rises?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 06:09   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

http://northglennews.co.za/99772/mas...ected-in-2017/
ok so the price of a barrel of crude is going to be driven up by the rising price of fuel. this seems a lil corporate greed based to me--the fuel rise precedes the increase in per barrel of crude. forcing the market.
yes, pete, this will ultimately again increase the costs of all crude oil based items. currently the barrel price is 53-ish usd per barrel. they want 60-70 usd per barrel.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 06:18   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Cost of Fuel

Price of fuel drives the price of everything, reason is I can't think of anything I buy that isn't transported by a fuel burning vehicle, or uses fuel to make it.
It is why I dislike ULSD, and think the environmentalists fell into a trap by pushing for it so hard. The oil companies got what they wanted, much higher prices for Diesel, that drives the price of everything up.
On environmentalists, I have never met one that proclaimed themselves to be so, only real environmentalists I have met, didn't realize they were, or didn't claim the title anyway.
Go to the back country of the NWT and Alaska, there you will meet true environmentalists, just they don't claim to be, yet they impact the environment far less than the average SUV driving, plastic clothes wearing, water bottle environmentalist that attends rallies.

A poor anchor out, is way more of an environmentalist than Al Gore will ever be, in my book. Their impact is quite small, and yet society is after them cause they may be discharging waste

Increase fuel costs may be a good thing from an environmental standpoint, I have long maintained that is environmentalism is your goal, find a way to make it cost effective. Want to cut down on fuel burned, price it so high that people start burning less.
I drive a Prius not because I am such a smug environmentalist, but because it is the cheapest vehicle we could drive, as we drive so much.
Double the price of fuel and maybe you will see what we saw in the 70's. average US driver will lose their love affair of driving 5000+ lb vehicles with four wheel drive.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 07:05   #13

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel383 View Post
Most recently the governor just ordered the last dividend to only partially be disbursed. It was a failed money grab. You see, its the American way, we all like nice things but nobody wants to pay for them, so when we(state of alaska) run out of money later this year we will borrow more!

80% of state revenue comes from oil. Folks around here really like high oil prices. I'm not a fan, but then, I'm for a much smaller government too.

This has a direct affect on cruising and sailing while visiting here. Fishing and hunting licenses went up this year for both resident and nonresident. Ex: nonresident black bear is 225$ for me? Free. And I can shoot 3 per year out my back door, drive 100mi and get 3 more.

Expect to be fleeced if you cruise these waters. Especially for fuel 2.70$ for gas when make it 20miles away. Unfortunately high oil = More oil money flowing--> translates into more water traffic around here.

That's why we have sails right?
I'd love to be only paying $2.70 a gallon. We're paying the equivalent of $3.50 a gallon and tomorrow the Province of Ontario institutes Cap and trade which will bump the price up to $3.60 overnight with no benefit to anyone except the govt coffers! marina prices are even worse!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 11:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Must have been struck by reality.
Old 31-12-2016, 11:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Please forgive me KMac because my response is not the gloom you were anticipating.
I AM BLOODY GLAD that fuel prices are on the rise.
Why, you may well ask?
Well, Old Fruit, the Australian VA pays us old warriors WAY too much in pensions and entitlements. And so, if a bigger slice of my pensions goes back into the public coffers then people less fortunate than me will clearly benefit. Too easy. Feelin' geurd.
Sir, rather than elicit grief from me you have truly made my day. And I thank you for your selfless New Years present.
BBL.
You're forgiven. I like the high prices also. Anything to relieve some of the traffic congestion is good news to me even if it costs a little bit. The little people will suffer though.

Tags
fuel