Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2021, 19:04   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS & Catalina 320
Coolant drains on Yanmar 4JH3-TE

Coolant on Yanmar 4JH3-TE is low. There was nothing in the overflow tank when we bought the boat and now the level is also below the cap. Problem is I have no idea what coolant has been used. It looks orangish but hard to distinguish orange from pink, red etc. (at least it certainly is not green). I got a Delo ELC (premixed 50-50) and from what I read this is a reasonable coolant for Yanmar. But first, I need to figure out how to flush the existing coolant.

Checking the manual, how many drain plugs there are and where they are is not super clear. From what I read, I *think* there are three but I am not sure. I looked around the engine and identified three potentials. Attaching the photos. Two are on the port side and one is on the starboard side.

Thoughts if these are the right ones? Being no engine expert, I don't want to drain something random.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4507.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	236742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4508.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	236743  

Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 21:43   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS & Catalina 320
Re: Coolant drains on Yanmar 4JH3-TE

Also found this in the manual. It is a bit confusing and I am not sure if I can map all the drains...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 9.42.54 PM.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	236748  
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 06:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Two approaches. One is drain as much as you can find, and then flush by filling with water, running for a few minutes, and draining again. There won't be any coolant of significance left. The other is to find the lowest coolant hose on the engine and loosen it. You could even be really Type A about it and do both. Either way, you'll have an internally clean motor.
Old 18-04-2021, 06:59   #4

Boat: Beneteau 373

according to my Yanmar 3JH4E manual Coolant for Yanmar is Prestone dexcool 50/50 for GM vehicles. (change every 5 years)
Don't forget it also cycles through the water heater so need to pull a hose there as well. Otherwise the drain and fill with water flush several times will work.
James M B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 08:45   #5

Boat: Malo 39

I suspect this is very similar to the 4JH3E which I have. The photo you show is correct and I believe you will only find two, one on port and one on starboard side. It is impossible to drain all the old coolant. Make sure you are loosed or removed the cap on the top of the engine block where you will refill. Then drain.
I donít believe it is worth flushing. It is absolutely critical to use the right antifreeze. The chemicals in the antifreeze are specially designed for the metals in the engine and Yanmar engines do not have sacrificial anodes in the engine. Get genuine Yanmar antifreeze. I would urge you to change out every 2-3 years. The cost of a corroded engine is not worth the economy of pushing this to 5 years.
P.s. I have no commercial relationship with Yanmar but I was involved with the chemistry and manufacture of antifreezes and have seen first hand the damage that can be done to by using the wrong product, including by the previous owner of my yacht using Volvo antifreeze!
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 09:45   #6

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

If it is indeed Dexcool do not mix it with anything but Dexcool unless you thoroughly flush the fresh water system out. Dexcool and other coolants when mixed can form a gel like substance. I would drain out and flush with fresh water and drain again then fill with appropriate coolant. Use the owner's or service manual to determine appropriate coolant.
Scubaseas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 10:43   #7

There is also a drain on the front of the engine below the water pump. I also disconnect the hoses to the water heater and blow out the coolant. Fill this hose with new coolant so you do not get an air lock.
Sharpww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 12:53   #8

Boat: Island Packet 420

If you don't see any leak in the engine compartment, check the hoses going into and out of your hot water heater. That is not an uncommon source of a leak.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 13:10   #9

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I suspect this is very similar to the 4JH3E which I have. The photo you show is correct and I believe you will only find two, one on port and one on starboard side. It is impossible to drain all the old coolant. Make sure you are loosed or removed the cap on the top of the engine block where you will refill. Then drain.
I don’t believe it is worth flushing. It is absolutely critical to use the right antifreeze. The chemicals in the antifreeze are specially designed for the metals in the engine and Yanmar engines do not have sacrificial anodes in the engine. Get genuine Yanmar antifreeze. I would urge you to change out every 2-3 years. The cost of a corroded engine is not worth the economy of pushing this to 5 years.
P.s. I have no commercial relationship with Yanmar but I was involved with the chemistry and manufacture of antifreezes and have seen first hand the damage that can be done to by using the wrong product, including by the previous owner of my yacht using Volvo antifreeze!
Martin S

I took a Yanmar owners class at an East coast dealer who discussed this in length.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 13:17   #10

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I am replacing the water heater on our 2005 H38 because of a leak in the water heater. The engine coolant heating coil in the WH has a small leak, causing the tapwater being pushed back into the engine coolant circuit and overflowing out of the expansion reservoir into the engine bilge. This is in the winter, the engine is not being used, otherwise it would have been the other way around. And if you have a glycol based antifreeze in the engine, .......glycol is a poison! No good tap water.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, yanmar