Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2009, 19:28   #1

Boat: Catalina 42 MK I
Considering Repower of My Ford Lehman 120

I'm considering repower of my Ford Lehman 6 cyl 120 diesel. My mechanic advises John Deere 4 cyl. or an Isuzu, and says finding a rebuild or excellent used not impossible. Any opinions? Anyone out there done this? Anyone with a lead on where to hunt?
Much appreciated.
Geoff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 19:35   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
What is your Lehman doing, not doing?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 20:34   #3

Had my mechanic on board this morning; we pulled the shaft back and removed the tranny (going to have it serviced), but we were hunting for an oil leak that has recently gotten worse -- turns out to be the rear seal, which my mechanic tells me will require lifting motor up, removing oilpan, and dropping bottom of engine out to get at it. I should add he hates Ford Lehman's. He wants me to consider repowering with either a John Deere or a Isuzu, because they're world serviceable, parts are available, modern standards, will match up with existing tranny, etc.
I would ideally search for a used one, or remanufactured, as dealer for John Deere wants 16K for a new one, and I can't go there. So of course this makes all of this a little more difficult.

Engine runs great, but it's 29 years old and # of hrs. is a mystery.
Old 30-11-2009, 20:47   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
What is your engine budget?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 22:13   #5

Boat: William Garden Ketch
I had a Ford Lehman 4 cylinder 80 HP and thought it was great although it was getting harder to get parts. I repowered with a Perkins M92. Not as fuel efficient as the old Ford but brand new accounts for something. By the way I would check out your mechanics credentials. Everyone I know that has Lehmans likes them. Oh and by the way mine had 23,000 hours on it when I replaced it. Yes there is not an extra zero in there it had a lot of miles and a lot of hours at the mooring charging batteries and fridge etc the worst thing to use a big diesel for.
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 17:01   #6
Eternal Member

If you have a bad rear main and all the other systems are OK. Fix the engine.

There is a plethora of Ford (British) diesel Engine Parts out there.

Not t0 impugn the integrity of your mechanic.....but if it is being done in a "yard" they want to sell you an engine......I have seen this time and time again.

Once again, you have to balance the cost of engine, installation, rebuilding/rredisgning engine bed, exhaust and fuel filter issues.

It ain't like changing your......shoes
Old 01-12-2009, 19:35   #7

This is where things stand: I called American Diesel this morning early, talked with Bob Smith (son Brian is on vacation, so the real deal answered the phone - Bob used to head up Ford Lehman), and when I described how the leak is presenting he said it's definitely NOT the main seal, that the leak is from the neoprene seal where the two rails meet at the pan (a main seal leak would end up where it would get tossed everywhere, whereas if it's the seal where the two rails meet at the back of the pan, it would flow as one downward mass, which is exactly what mine does) so it's not the main seal.
We'll have to drop the pan, and he had some great pointers on how to do this without utter chaos, (buy a couple feet of threaded rod and some nuts, cut the rod into four pieces, screw them into four existing holes, and pry/nudge the pan down to where the nuts will hold the pan. They will then serve as a great guide for getting the pan back up into place afterwards.
While I have all of this going, am taking my Velvet Drive down to Wilmington this afternoon to have it serviced, and I ordered a new Damper from Amer Diesel as well.
And while I was on the phone with Bob, he mentioned that he's coming to San Diego in March. to teach a day course on the Lehman for a Trawler owners group at Passagemaker University, whatever that is, and asked me if I wanted to bring my boat down while he's there so he can look over the motor. WOW. So ofcourse I'm going to. He went on the tell me how he went to the old CY boat yard in Taiwan where my boat was built, and some of the stories from back then, about the guys in the yard who built these boats but had never been on an ocean in their lives. He's going to bring some pics from back then that he still has. SWEET!!
And by the way, I love my mechanic. He's a Norwegian who's worked on Lehman's for years, and he's just persnickity, and a little worried about me going out into the world with a 30 year old engine that wasn't particularly well maintained before I got it. (The boat sat mostly idle in Mazatlan for 5 yrs before I stumbled onto it 9 yrs ago, and I've had to rebuild pretty much everything -- but then that's exactly why I love it so much I guess.)

Old 01-12-2009, 20:33   #8
Eternal Member

Very Cool.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:03   #9

Boat: Island Trader, Pilot House Ketch, 46'
Geoff, I have Ford Lehman with a similar mystery oil leak! Were you succesful with the pan gasket change? I am going crazy trying to locate mine and Bob's suggestion certainly makes sense. Thanks Jerry in San Blas
somf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 15:55   #10

Hi,
I have exchanged Ford Lehman/ BW Velvet with Isuzu/TMx
BECAUSE could not find spares for the 1969 engine.

It was harder to remove the old engine (had to take it to pieces to get it out of the boat) than to install the new.

However, if you can find all the parts needed to replace the rear crank seal -
eg, sump gasket and other gaskets, oil seals - and depending how much all round space there is - one can with necessary jacks , blocks etc do the job in situ.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 22:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Hi,
It was harder to remove the old engine (had to take it to pieces to get it out of the boat) than to install the new.
In Pieces
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford out of Engine Hatch.jpg
Views:	1211
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	22698  
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:26   #12

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
your mechanic "hates" Ford Lehmans because they don't make him much money, because they don't break much and don't need much time to fix when something does break. As you now know, the marinized parts are readily available from Am Diesel, and the Ford parts are easy to find. It might be harder to find a mechanic who loves to work on your FL than it will to find parts for it.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:24   #13

Boat: Colvic Watson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff H. View Post
I'm considering repower of my Ford Lehman 6 cyl 120 diesel. My mechanic advises John Deere 4 cyl. or an Isuzu, and says finding a rebuild or excellent used not impossible. Any opinions? Anyone out there done this? Anyone with a lead on where to hunt?
Much appreciated.
Hi Geoff
Just for the record and peace of mind, although it is much smaller than the engine you want I have an Isuzu marine engine in my motorsailer and I have to say it has been totally reliable.

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:28   #14

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
LEHMANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
your mechanic "hates" Ford Lehmans because they don't make him much money, because they don't break much and don't need much time to fix when something does break. As you now know, the marinized parts are readily available from Am Diesel, and the Ford parts are easy to find. It might be harder to find a mechanic who loves to work on your FL than it will to find parts for it.
They are gerat engines I rebuit a 80 hp four cylnder last winter got all parts from American diesel they are great people I even got to talk to Bob he's a Lehman expert and said the engine I was working on was his babby if it were mine I would keep the Lehman its a lot of work but well worth it best of luck Joey.
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:41   #15

Jerry in San Blas,
I was not able to stop the leak. I did perform the reinstall of new oil pan gasket and neoprene seals where the two rails meet; but no joy on getting the leak to stop. Motor otherwise runs great. I'm currently making a very slow slog down coast of Mexico, currently in Puerto Vallarta.
Geoff cruising on "Un Mundo"

Tags
lehman, repower